Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-train connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
FRA-train connection

I am flying in to FRA (on BA) and connecting by train to Passau. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 8:30 am. There is a train departing FRA at 10:02 am. This seems like plenty of time to clear immigration etc, barring unforeseen snafus, but would like the opinion of those more experienced with FRA than I am. Should I book the 10:02 am train or go for the next at 12:02pm?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-1K, EXEC-PLAT
FRA-train connection

It depends if you are going to check Bags or not, i would prefer the later one ,they are runing every Hour !!!!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyer777lr
they are runing every Hour !!!!
No they're not. The next one after 10.02 is 12.02, as the OP rightly said. Did you check bahn.de before responding to the OP?

polkacat, BA flights arrive into Terminal 2, and the train station is at Terminal 1. You've got quite a long trek from one to the other.

If your flight is on time, and if there are no baggage delays (mine got to the carousel before me last Friday) then you should make the 10.02 without any problems.. but there is no leeway for any delays, and I presume you were thinking of getting an inflexible train ticket?

It's probably safer to go for the later train, even though it means a lot of wasted time. There are coffee places at the train station, and you may even be able to pop into one of the on-site hotels for a late breakfast (the Hilton and the Hilton Garden Inn are right next to the station).

And, flyer777lr, welcome to FT!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-1K, EXEC-PLAT
FRA-train connection

thanks for the welcome ...

yes there is a connection earlier than 12:02 ..in fact there is a train at 11:37 well not excact 1 hr later but there is one. I dont need to check on bahn.de i work at the FRA port and traveling back and forth to Wuerzburg which is on the way to Passau. My mistake was i assumed to depart from Regional Trainstation at Terminal 1 via frankfurt Hauptbahnhof on the S-bahn ( S8) which runs every 12 minutes or so. Mostly better connection from there....

Sorry for my mistake Terminal 2 - 1 ....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. I don't intend to check luggage, so that would save me a bit of time on arrival.

Yes, Aviatrix, you are correct to presume I am looking at the inflexible fare tickets, but maybe it's not worth the savings.

flyer777lr, thanks for the info on the regional train - the bahn.de site prefers to show ICE trains , but now I've found the regional schedules as well. Weighing the cost savings against the greater travel time, I think I'll stick with the less frequent ICE trains.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:40 pm

I assume, Polcacat arrives on a Sunday. The 10.02 requires changing trains at Würzburg (same platform, so jump off jump on), the 12.02 is a direct connection.

I suggest to go for a flexible 2nd class ticket (90€ vs 64€ for the restricted fare), and try to make the 10.02.

Enjoy your time here
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, parallelrechner - helpful to have you confirm the option I am leaning toward (flex ticket).
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you are arriving/departing internationally you can purchase a one-way ticket between FRA and anywhere in Germany fr a reduced rate. Carrier list here. LH offers this for 29EUR (the price seems to have gone up recently). LH details here. I'm not sure of the offerings from other carriers.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:29 am

Buy the full fare ticket and you can take the 12:02 if you miss the 10:02.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Buy the full fare ticket and you can take the 12:02 if you miss the 10:02.
...or get the Rail & Fly ticket for a lot less (if taking a qualifying flight) and take any train yu wish as if you had a full fare ticket.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:07 am

Does Rail & Fly include ICE as well?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Does Rail & Fly include ICE as well?
Yes it des.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:24 am

Nice. Although there is the caveat of taking a qualifying flight.

This is good info to have. Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I'm on an AA award ticket which is not eligible for Rail & Fly. But that is good information to have for future travel!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by polkacat
I am flying in to FRA (on BA) and connecting by train to Passau. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 8:30 am. There is a train departing FRA at 10:02 am. This seems like plenty of time to clear immigration etc, barring unforeseen snafus, but would like the opinion of those more experienced with FRA than I am. Should I book the 10:02 am train or go for the next at 12:02pm?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Would highly recommend the later one. If your flight is delayed then better to have the leeway.

Have you prebooked the train already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.