Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by StrophariaCube
Hi,
AB flights from TXL that go to the US usually go from A00, not Terminal C (the shed). BA comes in at A04 or A05, so that's not far away. But as you know immigration is directly after leaving the plane. I have never done a non-Shengen to non-Shengen connect in TXL, but I read in a newspaper that they bring you to a barren room with a beverage vending machine, which is not what I would recommend for your mother.
After the large fire a few years ago, they built a nice and modern airport in Düsseldorf, which should be the better choice.
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I would second the recommendation to transfer at DUS. As you know, at TXL, there is virtually nowhere to spend time on the A concourse, so even if she cleared immigration, she would have to walk all the way down the A pier to Boulevard Tegel, and then walk back and clear security/immigration for the flight to the US. DUS, on the other hand, is an easy airside transfer, with plenty of distractions to avail yourself of while waiting for the connection.

BA's through-check policy will allow the bags to be checked all the way to the US:

You may want to print a copy of this policy, as there have been reports of agents not following it at LHR.

As far as the AB boarding pass, BA should be able to issue it, but you may have trouble finding someone who is able to do so. As an alternative, check her in online before departing, and have her collect a pass at the AB transfer desk at DUS.
Thank you very much both - interesting to hear that AB's US flights go from the A doughnut, but as she is now a US citizen I think clearing immigration/emigration will be a pain anyhow... we'll stick with DUS

And linglingfool, thanks for finding that note on the BA website - I will probably accompany her to checkin at LHR and take a copy to ease her passage
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

AB does not allow online check-in for flights to/from US. AB check-in closes 90 minutes prior.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:38 pm

45 minute connection from Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen

Hi,

I wonder if anybody with experience of DUS airport can help. My mother-in-law will be traveling London Stansted-DUS-Puerto Plata (Dominican Rep) the connection time is only 45 minutes but show as bookable on 1 ticket on the site.

All flights will be on AB and am I correct in thinking that no border control will be required?

If anyone can advise on likely gates and time it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:46 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by dawsando
Hi,

I wonder if anybody with experience of DUS airport can help. My mother-in-law will be traveling London Stansted-DUS-Puerto Plata (Dominican Rep) the connection time is only 45 minutes but show as bookable on 1 ticket on the site.

All flights will be on AB and am I correct in thinking that no border control will be required?

If anyone can advise on likely gates and time it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Both fliughts will arrive in concourse C at DUS (www.dus.com) and a 45 minutes connections on one ticket should be okay. There should not be a border control, but I am not familiar with C.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I`m sure their will be a border control. In DUS they control you before you reach the Terminal.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
I`m sure their will be a border control. In DUS they control you before you reach the Terminal.
They do? When I arrived from LHR several years ago, the passport control (which was quite quick, but we were in the second bus to arrive at the terminal) only happened directly in front of the baggage hall. Not sure about flights which arrive at finger positions, but I'd say that you don't have to clear immigration - so no passport control.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:33 am

I am flying from London to Valencia Spain on Lufthansa with a layover in Dusseldorf, is one hour 20 minutes enough? Will we need to clear customs and/or security or anything like that? I just want to make sure before I book. Travelling on a US passport.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Sixt Platinum, HH Silver
As you are entering Schengen area you will definitely need to go through immigration. Layover is more than enough though.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bruce80
They do? When I arrived from LHR several years ago, the passport control (which was quite quick, but we were in the second bus to arrive at the terminal) only happened directly in front of the baggage hall. Not sure about flights which arrive at finger positions, but I'd say that you don't have to clear immigration - so no passport control.
I came from LHR last weekend and passport control was direct after the exit. I think they don`t even have control-üpoints close to the baggage claim.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
I came from LHR last weekend and passport control was direct after the exit. I think they don`t even have control-üpoints close to the baggage claim.
Did you arrive at concourse C? At concourse A, passport control is located in the middle of the concourse, at B, some are located at individual gates (on the schengen-level) while there's an entire non-schengen floor; but as C is a non-schengen concourse in it's entirety, I believe (haven't been there since it was reconstructed) that you'll only have to clear immigration when leaving the concourse (and some discussions about the airside connection walkways suggest that too).

When I departed to LHR on BA two years ago, we left from a concourse B finger gate (with passport control at the gate) but arrived at a concourse C bus gate and passport control was definitely located directly in front of the baggage hall (on the arrivals floor).

By the way, my comment above was related to dawsando's enquiry and FLYGVA's answer - jwallkc will definitely have to clear immigration (at concourse A) during the transit.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Did you arrive at concourse C? At concourse A, passport control is located in the middle of the concourse, at B, some are located at individual gates (on the schengen-level) while there's an entire non-schengen floor; but as C is a non-schengen concourse in it's entirety, I believe (haven't been there since it was reconstructed) that you'll only have to clear immigration when leaving the concourse (and some discussions about the airside connection walkways suggest that too).

When I departed to LHR on BA two years ago, we left from a concourse B finger gate (with passport control at the gate) but arrived at a concourse C bus gate and passport control was definitely located directly in front of the baggage hall (on the arrivals floor).

By the way, my comment above was related to dawsando's enquiry and FLYGVA's answer - jwallkc will definitely have to clear immigration (at concourse A) during the transit.
I arrived at B, so this can explain the difference. I don´t fly so often via C, but I think you´re right
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Both fliughts will arrive in concourse C at DUS (www.dus.com) and a 45 minutes connections on one ticket should be okay. There should not be a border control, but I am not familiar with C.

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully should be ok
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:32 pm

I just booked an AB flight JFK-DUS-DRS-HER (better than spending 10 hours in TXL for jfk-txl-her? Hopefully). The time between flights are pretty short, resulting in an overall shorter travel day assuming all goes smoothly, with about 1.5 hours in Dusseldorf and 1 hour in Dresden. Can anyone confirm that these transfers will actually be doable? At what point in the journey will I have to clear immigration? In confused because my DUS connecting flight is domestic but my ultimate destination is Greece. Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Laura782
I just booked an AB flight JFK-DUS-DRS-HER (better than spending 10 hours in TXL for jfk-txl-her? Hopefully). The time between flights are pretty short, resulting in an overall shorter travel day assuming all goes smoothly, with about 1.5 hours in Dusseldorf and 1 hour in Dresden. Can anyone confirm that these transfers will actually be doable? At what point in the journey will I have to clear immigration? In confused because my DUS connecting flight is domestic but my ultimate destination is Greece. Thanks!
Assuming no delays (or even a minor delay JFK-DUS), you will be fine. You will clear immigration upon entry into the Schengen Area in DUS, at which point both DUS-DRS and DRS-HER will effectively be treated as "domestic" flights for immigration purposes.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Assuming no delays (or even a minor delay JFK-DUS), you will be fine. You will clear immigration upon entry into the Schengen Area in DUS, at which point both DUS-DRS and DRS-HER will effectively be treated as "domestic" flights for immigration purposes.
Thanks! Now I just have to hope some business class awards open up at the last minute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.