Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

German employer - keep business related miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German employer - keep business related miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The applicable taxes on your miles are not paid. Unless you declare your miles to the fiscal authorities I would call it tax fraud.
Can you transfer your miles to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Virgin Island,etc. without notifying the authorities?

Headlines soon: I offer a CD with the "out of country" M&M miles balance of German politicians, celebrities and frequent fliers!

Price: 100.000.000 HON miles, payable in chucks of 600.000 every two years
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Can you transfer your miles to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Virgin Island,etc. without notifying the authorities?
No problem. However, working in Germany and not taking advantage of LH's offer to have these miles taxed on LH's costs at the source you need to declare these miles the year you earn them on business related travel. After doing so, you can take your miles whereever you want. As miles do not earn interest, the Liechtenstein-Specific problems will be avoided.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
What if you first pay for the flights yourself and get them reimbursed by your company?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
What if you first pay for the flights yourself and get them reimbursed by your company?
We have an entire "Travel Management" department...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
We have an entire "Travel Management" department...
And it does not make any difference from a tax law perspective.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
And it does not make any difference from a tax law perspective.
Sure, but as for the Miles and keeping them, it is you yourself who paid for them (relationship between you and airline)...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, but as for the Miles and keeping them, it is you yourself who paid for them (relationship between you and airline)...
It is always "you" who has the relationship with the airline notwithstanding who pays for the ticket. German labour law - and I pretty sure this is no different in other jurisdictions - generally stipulates that an employer is under the obligation to surrender the benefits he/she got during/on occaision of his/her employment such as money, presents, bribes, ..., and miles....

Interestingly enough, the German Federal Labour Court discussed your proposal and was pretty strict about this (BAG, Urt. v. 11.04.2006 - 9 AZR 500/05 -). If the employer pays - whenever - for your ticket for work, the employer is entitled to the miles.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I assume the typical "period" to claim those miles as an employer are three years?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by rsercely
You are entitled to you opinion of course.

However, in the US, for most business travel, we work our 8-10 hours, _then_ are required to get on a flight for a total trip time of 3-6 hours, and almost always (at least in the US), we are not paid for any of this travel time.

IMHO - this absolutely makes the miles MINE!

When the company pays me for ALL of my travel time, they are welcome to the miles.
I really don't know what you want to tell me.

First we talk about someone working for a German company in Germany. So it doesn't help him how it works in the US when he wants to raise this issue with his employer here in Germany.

Second there are jobs where your travel time is counted as work time. That's how it works in my case.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
actually in Germany LH introduced a system through which companies can register with them and THEY get additional miles - if they book their employees on LH-related flights.

These miles can be used by the company for bookings, upgrades, hotels, etc., there's an advert for this with some woman waking up from what looks like a wet dream under a yellow blanket in the LH magazine...

So it's very likely that your company will not need to take your miles away - unless they pay for your hours of flying as well I'd say you've well 'paid for them in kind'...
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adpucci
actually in Germany LH introduced a system through which companies can register with them and THEY get additional miles - if they book their employees on LH-related flights..
This is as old as Adam & Eve and available in most Star Alliance Countries.

So it's very likely that your company will not need to take your miles away -
Why "need" and why "take away"? We as a company pay for the tickets and we want our employees to make useful need of the miles they earned for the company's dime. This includes eg mileage upgrades on flights for work employees can only book in Eco.

unless they pay for your hours of flying as well I'd say you've well 'paid for them in kind'...
And as long as employees are not remunerated by the hour they are actually paid for the entire job. And if travelling is part of the job then the time spent on planes IS paid via the monthly paycheck.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
obliges the employee to hand over all benefits received while working on the job to the employer.
I think benefits received from a third party in order to do business with them is called a bribe. So I agree with Flying Lawyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.