Wiki Posts
Search

Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten Munich

I've stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten since I was a kid (staying with my parents, of course) and I've always liked this property.

A review I wrote was just published in ERW and is available on line here.

(I tried to see if there was a good thread to stick this in but the ones I found mentioning the VJ were all over the place. Apologies if I missed one.)

Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten Munich Review

When you step off the bustling Maximilianstrae and enter the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten, you enter a time capsule, one that places you inside one of the grand old hotels of Europe.

Once in the salon-style lobby, which features a mosaic glass roof portraying the four seasons (the hotels name, Vier Jahreszeiten, means Four Seasons), and you could bump into royalty: former guests include Empress Elisabeth of Austria (known to her subjects as Sissi), the King of Siam, and Winston Churchill. Today, the Vier Jahrezeiten is the temporary home for heads of state, royalty, and the discerning business traveler.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:44 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the list of royalty who stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC is even longer. Doesn't mean it's a luxury hotel today. My impression is that there are two luxury hotels in Munich (the MO and the Charles) and that's it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My impression is that there are two luxury hotels in Munich (the MO and the Charles) and that's it.
Ive stayed at both of these recently as well so I am curious what your statement is based on.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:16 am

I stayed at the MO in June. This is truly an outstanding hotel.
I have not stayed at the VJ, but I did stop by the lobby to check out the bar.
To be quite frank, the lobby and what appeared to be an adjacent bar area looked pretty dismal.
I would, based on this impression, hesitate to classify the VJ as a luxury hotel.
Also, went by the Bayerischer Hoff, which I stayed at about 4 years ago, and felt that it too had lost much of its appeal.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jehflyer
I stayed at the MO in June. This is truly an outstanding hotel.
I have not stayed at the VJ, but I did stop by the lobby to check out the bar.
To be quite frank, the lobby and what appeared to be an adjacent bar area looked pretty dismal.
I would, based on this impression, hesitate to classify the VJ as a luxury hotel.
Also, went by the Bayerischer Hoff, which I stayed at about 4 years ago, and felt that it too had lost much of its appeal.
I tend to agree re the Bayerischer Hof but I would have to vehemently disagree on your comment that the lobby and environs are "dismal."

The MO is of course sleek and modern and brighter in the lobby but the darker, more old world Vier Jahreszeiten reflects its personality.

And when it comes to room comfort, staff, amenities, and simply exuding the feel of a true luxury hotel, I think that the VJ holds its own against the MO and The Charles.

Keep in mind, I've stayed in all three fairly recently (for several days each) - I'm not sure briefly visiting the lobby really makes for a fair assessment.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:09 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Germany Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
I cant understand your dispute.

Allt three properties are on the very top of the hotel choice here in Munich.
I know many who prefere the VJ, others prefer the MO or the Charles.
I really think it depends on personal preferences.

When asked by guests visiting us in Munich I tend to recommend the VJ a little more over the other hotels as it is my favorite, but as already said:
Allt three of them are absolutely worht the stay.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lemieux66
I cant understand your dispute.

Allt three properties are on the very top of the hotel choice here in Munich.
I know many who prefere the VJ, others prefer the MO or the Charles.
I really think it depends on personal preferences.

When asked by guests visiting us in Munich I tend to recommend the VJ a little more over the other hotels as it is my favorite, but as already said:
Allt three of them are absolutely worht the stay.

Ja, I am truly mystified by such comments as well. Esp. when they come from people who didn't even stay at the hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.