Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

At least Frontier's flights are operating on time for me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So much about Frontier screams "low quality" to me -- and frankly troubling. It even makes me wonder if their pilot training and maintenance are "good enough" (since many things they do aren't good enough). But with my status-matched Diamond status and their insanely cheap fares, flying them is too good an offer to refuse. So I buy my cheapo tickets and take my chances. That said, I have found that Frontier's actual OPERATIONS are pretty decent these days. My last several flights have been on-time, or early. I'm actually amazed they can do this given how much chaos there seems to be with their product. It makes me willing to endure all the other hassles of doing business with them. Especially since I'm comfortably seated in the exit row with usually a middle seat free, and I get all the bags I need. I even checked a bunch of bags this week (which I rarely do) and it all went smoothly.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:04 pm

You can rest assured Frontier's pilot training and maintenance are up to par. They run a decent operation under normal circumstances.
hobo13 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjbiv
You can rest assured Frontier's pilot training and maintenance are up to par. They run a decent operation under normal circumstances.
Yes, people say that. And I assume (hope?) it's true. But management does a bad job making sure other aspects of the company are run adequately, so I cannot have complete confidence that pilot training and maintenance are well run without proof.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have flown Frontier on a couple dozen flights in the past two years, and honestly I can't remember the last one that was delayed. OTOH, I remember a couple that pushed back quite early because everyone was loaded and ready to go.

It seems to me that everyove loves to mock the poor reliability of Frontier, but at least in my case, the data doesn't support it. (Now I admit that if something does go wrong, you can be screwed!)
jjbiv likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hobo13
I have flown Frontier on a couple dozen flights in the past two years, and honestly I can't remember the last one that was delayed. OTOH, I remember a couple that pushed back quite early because everyone was loaded and ready to go.

It seems to me that everyove loves to mock the poor reliability of Frontier, but at least in my case, the data doesn't support it. (Now I admit that if something does go wrong, you can be screwed!)
I actually experienced 2 major reliability problems with Frontier last year -- planes breaking down and being taken out of service -- but each time (to my surprise) Frontier actually found replacement planes and saved me from complete disaster. The delays were still multi-hour -- 7 hours getting to Cancun -- but at least they came up with a plan. I can't really recommend "regular people" fly Fromtier, but if you're getting free carry-ons, the reliability is "good enough" on many of their fares to take your chances for most trips if Frontier's schedule will work for you.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I actually experienced 2 major reliability problems with Frontier last year -- planes breaking down and being taken out of service -- but each time (to my surprise) Frontier actually found replacement planes and saved me from complete disaster. The delays were still multi-hour -- 7 hours getting to Cancun -- but at least they came up with a plan. I can't really recommend "regular people" fly Fromtier, but if you're getting free carry-ons, the reliability is "good enough" on many of their fares to take your chances for most trips if Frontier's schedule will work for you.
Yep, Frontier is definitely caveat emptor! And every statement about the quality of the experience or reliability of the operation ha to be qualified with "but for the price"...

Free carry-on, free checked, free seats, cash refundablility.... And my upgrades clear just as often on Frontier as they do on United!
iahphx likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yep, Frontier is definitely caveat emptor! And every statement about the quality of the experience or reliability of the operation ha to be qualified with "but for the price"...

Free carry-on, free checked, free seats, cash refundablility.... And my upgrades clear just as often on Frontier as they do on United!
As a 1K, I only get upgraded on UA when the plane is relatively empty -- which means the middle seat in the emergency exit row will also be empty. The difference is comfort between flying Frontier and flying UA in the emergency exit row with the middle free is minimal. Yes, as a 1K UA will give me free food and drink in the exit row, but what is that worth? Less than 10 bucks for me, since I usually get plenty of free lounge food and drink at the airport.

I would also note that domestic FC isn't very good. Just flew 5 hours to Hawaii in first on UA, and I really wasn't happier than in an emergency exit row with a middle seat free. I also flew in Premium Economy (like Frintier's "stretch") on a UA 777 and that was LESS comfortable (narrower seat) than flying on Frontier aircraft in stretch.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Yes, people say that. And I assume (hope?) it's true. But management does a bad job making sure other aspects of the company are run adequately, so I cannot have complete confidence that pilot training and maintenance are well run without proof.
I realize that UA's fleet is way bigger but do the two latest UA incidents (the wheel at SFO and the plane in the grass at IAH today) make.you more concerned with UA?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I realize that UA's fleet is way bigger but do the two latest UA incidents (the wheel at SFO and the plane in the grass at IAH today) make.you more concerned with UA?
Certainly a bad run of luck at UA. And, obviously, with Boeing, too. I think Frontier only flies Airbus planes. That said, I'm pretty sure UA knows what it's doing safety-wise, and (right or wrong) I have less confidence that Frontier does. Everything with Frontier always seems one step away from chaos.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
this talk about F9 being on time has me jealous.

as we were on our way to the airport, we just got a text that our 7pm RSW-CLE will depart 5.5hrs late.

​​​​​​https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT2715

​​​​​​
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
this talk about F9 being on time has me jealous.

as we were on our way to the airport, we just got a text that our 7pm RSW-CLE will depart 5.5hrs late.

​​​​​​https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT2715

​​​​​​
Ouch.This is why looking at the overall data is so important. The longest delay I've actually had in the past 2 years was on Delta. My early evening flight from New Orleans to JFK turned into a redeye! (In their defense, Delta did then refund the miles for the tickets, and give us each $100 gift cards). But I would also say Delta is, overall, among the most reliable airlines I fly. The official 2023 stats show you're about twice as likely to have a delay flying Frontier over Delta, but I do think Frontier has now somewhat narrowed that gap.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Ouch.This is why looking at the overall data is so important..... The official 2023 stats show you're about twice as likely to have a delay flying Frontier over Delta, but I do think Frontier has now somewhat narrowed that gap.
F9 2715 rsw-cle cancelled both Sat. Again Sun. The Sunday 7pm was brutal, notice of 5h30m delay at T-2 hours. Then 7hr delay, then cancelled just before midnight. Exactly one minute after a relatively ontime inbound touched down.

As Diamond elite passengers, we were given nothing at the airport , emailed a $10 meal voucher that requires their service to snoop/track a credit card before crediting. After it cancelled a $100 Frontier voucher NOT valid for taxes, carrier interface fee, bags, fees.

Hotel, transport etc are not being covered. The earliest they can fly us out is Wednesday (2 days later) since they do not interline to other carriers.
iahphx likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 11, 2024 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
F9 2715 rsw-cle cancelled both Sat. Again Sun. The Sunday 7pm was brutal, notice of 5h30m delay at T-2 hours. Then 7hr delay, then cancelled just before midnight. Exactly one minute after a relatively ontime inbound touched down.

As Diamond elite passengers, we were given nothing at the airport , emailed a $10 meal voucher that requires their service to snoop/track a credit card before crediting. After it cancelled a $100 Frontier voucher NOT valid for taxes, carrier interface fee, bags, fees.

Hotel, transport etc are not being covered. The earliest they can fly us out is Wednesday (2 days later) since they do not interline to other carriers.
That would be enough to make an average pax never fly Frontier again, and tell 10 people not to fly Frontier. BTW, I'd chat with Frontier and see if you can get more compensation. It has worked for me.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:13 pm

As a 1K, I only get upgraded on UA when the plane is relatively empty -- which means the middle seat in the emergency exit row will also be empty. The difference is comfort between flying Frontier and flying UA in the emergency exit row with the middle free is minimal. Yes, as a 1K UA will give me free food and drink in the exit row, but what is that worth? Less than 10 bucks for me, since I usually get plenty of free lounge food and drink at the airport.

I would also note that domestic FC isn't very good. Just flew 5 hours to Hawaii in first on UA, and I really wasn't happier than in an emergency exit row with a middle seat free. I also flew in Premium Economy (like Frintier's "stretch") on a UA 777 and that was LESS comfortable (narrower seat) than flying on Frontier aircraft in stretch.
It's probably worth noting the availability of AC power on UA vs no power on F9. Being DEN-based, I have never connected on F9, and my laptop battery can last the duration of their longest flight from Denver. So it's been a non-issue.

That said, I'm about to fly them to PUJ (which requires a short connection -- not enough time to recharge). I am thinking of bringing my GoLabs power station with me to power my laptop, my wife's laptop, and my kid's tablets. Do you think that running extension cords between or seats in the first three rows will look too ghetto? Or is that just on-brand for F9....
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's probably worth noting the availability of AC power on UA vs no power on F9. Being DEN-based, I have never connected on F9, and my laptop battery can last the duration of their longest flight from Denver. So it's been a non-issue.

That said, I'm about to fly them to PUJ (which requires a short connection -- not enough time to recharge). I am thinking of bringing my GoLabs power station with me to power my laptop, my wife's laptop, and my kid's tablets. Do you think that running extension cords between or seats in the first three rows will look too ghetto? Or is that just on-brand for F9....
I've never really thought about the power issue on Frontier. I guess I get more than 3 hours from both my phone and laptop so it's not much of an issue for me. I do sometimes go "old school" and bring a magazine with me on Frontier, as I'm both too lazy to find and load my own entertainment and enjoy the nostalgic feel of reading dead tree materials on an airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.