Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family pooling

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Family pooling

How do I book a flight using family pooled miles?

I have less than 10k miles but have over 20k pooled miles. I am the head of the pool. I'm trying to book an 10k award ticket but the system says I don't have enough miles. How do I redeem pooled miles?

TIA
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
You are supposed to pool miles automatically from family pool.

That function is partially broken ever since Frontier 'upgraded' their system a few weeks ago.

To by-pass their stupid IT implementation, you need to have sufficient miles in your individual account (doesn't get more stupid than that, what's the point of family pool), and then they can family pool
Troopers likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Typical Frontier, sigh.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Typical Frontier, sigh.
Haven’t been able to book with family pool miles. Tried chat line every day for past five days. Each time, while I think an agent is working on solving my issue, I am left hanging now knowing whether I have been disconnected. Sent a complaint on website form, no response. Tried messenger on Facebook, still no help. Customer service line rings busy. I am at wits end.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:51 pm

Success! Stumbled upon a workaround

I ran into this same issue myself over the last several weeks. I wanted to book 4 tickets, 10k points each, travelling on the same PNR, so I needed 40k points total to book it.

I personally had around 29k points in my account, with the rest of my pool with approximately 11k points combined, so I definitely had enough to book.

I logged in. The top right corner showed my 29k points. I searched for my itinerary, but got the same error message when trying to proceed with booking. After hours trying to chat with customer service, I accidentally stumbled upon a workaround.

1. When you browse to the Frontier website, the key is that you make sure that you're not initially logged in. Enter the desired itinerary in the search box on the home page and select that you want to pay in miles.

2. After you choose the itinerary you desire, the website should then prompt you for your login details. Proceed to book as normal.

Doing it this way, I did not get the same error message about insufficient miles, even though the top right corner showed the same 29k. I was able to book my 40k point itinerary successfully. Miles were deducted from my account and the other pooled members' accounts as expected.

Hope this helps someone!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hopotongs
I ran into this same issue myself over the last several weeks. I wanted to book 4 tickets, 10k points each, travelling on the same PNR, so I needed 40k points total to book it.

I personally had around 29k points in my account, with the rest of my pool with approximately 11k points combined, so I definitely had enough to book.

I logged in. The top right corner showed my 29k points. I searched for my itinerary, but got the same error message when trying to proceed with booking. After hours trying to chat with customer service, I accidentally stumbled upon a workaround.

1. When you browse to the Frontier website, the key is that you make sure that you're not initially logged in. Enter the desired itinerary in the search box on the home page and select that you want to pay in miles.

2. After you choose the itinerary you desire, the website should then prompt you for your login details. Proceed to book as normal.

Doing it this way, I did not get the same error message about insufficient miles, even though the top right corner showed the same 29k. I was able to book my 40k point itinerary successfully. Miles were deducted from my account and the other pooled members' accounts as expected.

Hope this helps someone!
Glad this forum serves as Frontier's IT help desk. I'm probably going to need this work around before the end of the month to book an award ticket while I'm still a 100K.
Old May 1, 2023, 3:43 pm

Thumbs up GREAT success!

GREAT Success! Thanks!

I needed a measly 200 more Frontier points to book, and although I had 25k more in the pool, I just couldn't book with points.

I used this method by opening a different browser after reading this post and got it booked right away!

PTL!
Old May 2, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DigitalDove
GREAT Success! Thanks!

I needed a measly 200 more Frontier points to book, and although I had 25k more in the pool, I just couldn't book with points.

I used this method by opening a different browser after reading this post and got it booked right away!

PTL!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:12 pm

Thank you!

Hope this helps someone!

I can't believe this is still an issue (oh wait, yes I can). Your work around worked like a charm as I had the same issue. THANK YOU for saving me so much time and headache!
Old Sep 16, 2023, 11:36 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Is there any way to specify what account miles come out of from a booking made with pooled miles?
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Is there any way to specify what account miles come out of from a booking made with pooled miles?
No. It is 100% first in first out. Even states so in the terms. https://www.flyfrontier.com/myfronti...Family_Pooling
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by lidosjawn
No. It is 100% first in first out. Even states so in the terms. https://www.flyfrontier.com/myfronti...Family_Pooling
Thanks, I finally found that documented. Interestingly, at least according to my earnings records, it didn't exactly behave that way, but fortunately it still did use most of the miles from an orphaned account that is likely to expire.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just tried this, and got the "not enough miles" message. Did I do it wrong, or this work around obsolete?

Edit: I got it to work. Was some other issue.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by hobo13; Apr 1, 2024 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:18 pm

Hope this helps someone!
payam81 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:19 pm

That worked!

Thanks for that info. Waited forever with Frontier chat but while waiting followed your instruction and it worked perfectly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.