Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier Offering Status Matches Though You Have to Pay for Them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier Offering Status Matches Though You Have to Pay for Them

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I'm thinking about it. If the opportunity comes for me to fly F9 I'll do it; $49 is a drop in the bucket and I could match to 50K. The biggest issue for me is that NYC doesn't get a ton of service for them.

-J.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any DP on whether benefits apply to bookings made before the match? Like free bags, The Works, etc.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Unfortunately, the match isn't available for those who already matched in 2020.

Don't know whether it's possible to just open a new Frontier account. But you're most likely only allowed to have one.
alchemista likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by italdesign
Any feedback from those who matched before? Which benefits did you find most useful?
I value these the most:
  • Free Exit / More Legroom seat
  • Free hand luggage
  • Free check-in luggage
  • Free cancellation. However they're trying to make it as complicated as possible: You need to fill out a long form to receive a refund, unlike the 1-click cancellation for receiving a credit.

I'm living in Europe, but took 2 flights with Frontier after matching and it was sure worth it. Took a 20$ flights OAK - LAS with all the benefits that UA'd only give me for a $80 Main cabin ticket.
sobore likes this.

Last edited by delpiero223; Dec 2, 2021 at 5:19 am
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:54 am

I applied to be matched to 50k (don't have anything eligible to match to for 100k) and they offered an upgrade to Elite 100k for an additional $499 (on top of the $49 fee to be matched to 50k.) I did not take them up on that offer - if I need a checked bag that bad I'll pay for it.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sonesta Elite, IHG Platinum, Frontier 100K
Being Denver based and with top tier hotel status, this is simply an insane opportunity and the $49 saves me money compared to UA or WN on the first flight
GW McLintock, jebr and lidosjawn like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
Any DP on whether benefits apply to bookings made before the match? Like free bags, The Works, etc.
In the past, I have had my status update mid-trip and gained access to the updated benefits. Frontier's terms and conditions do state benefits are at the time of booking but it does appear at times they do let you apply the benefits retroactively.
italdesign likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:55 am

Did F9 ever do this before last year? I don't think so.

I'm trying to decide on a strategy, since I cannot do this again (the website immediately stops you btw as soon as you enter your F9 #). I have a family member that could be the 100K person for 2022. I can either use the 5X promo going on for DD members to get to 50K status for next year, saving the 100K opportunity for another time with my family member. Or, I could just bump them to 100K for next year and not bother with the 5X requal.

I guess nobody will know the future on this, but if I could guarantee this status match would be available a year from now, I'd rather do the 50K for 2022 and then use the status match for 2023 100K in the family.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sonesta Elite, IHG Platinum, Frontier 100K
Originally Posted by alchemista
Did F9 ever do this before last year? I don't think so.

I'm trying to decide on a strategy, since I cannot do this again (the website immediately stops you btw as soon as you enter your F9 #). I have a family member that could be the 100K person for 2022. I can either use the 5X promo going on for DD members to get to 50K status for next year, saving the 100K opportunity for another time with my family member. Or, I could just bump them to 100K for next year and not bother with the 5X requal.

I guess nobody will know the future on this, but if I could guarantee this status match would be available a year from now, I'd rather do the 50K for 2022 and then use the status match for 2023 100K in the family.
Frontier is trying to take frequent travelers and redirect their business coming out of the pandemic and they have hundreds of planes on order to fuel growth. They obviously saw something in the offer from last year to run it again with more partners with travel still working to restore to pre-COVID numbers (Since yes there is business travel on Frontier as well, actually when I flew out to interview for my current job I was placed on Frontier). I wouldn't bet that it would be offered next year since travel is recovering fairly well domestically and Frontier will probably have closer to the elite balance they want.
alchemista likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Didn't give the $49 a second-thought to get the 100k status. Awesome offer.
Clamqueen likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:26 pm
Original Member

I'm trying to take advantage of this, but their website, the worst in the industry for numerous reasons, does not recognize my Known Traveler Number when I put it into my profile. A call to their customer service yielded this doozy: "That's not a valid KTN. You need to sort it out with the TSA."

I've used this valid number on hundreds of flights, just not on Frontier. So I guess I can status match to Elite 100K, but I lose my PreCheck in the process?

I'm still going to drop $49 and argue with them later. This is just too good to pass up.

[Followup: a call to "Loyalty Services" sorted it out and the correction has been made.]
Venezuela-Miami and Clamqueen like this.

Last edited by Tino; Dec 2, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Do any other companies accept F9 elite levels for status matching?

-J.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:14 pm

wonder if the $49 fee will be coded as frontier to get reimbursed with amex plat cc? Or, any CCs that issue an annual travel credit?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
wonder if the $49 fee will be coded as frontier to get reimbursed with amex plat cc? Or, any CCs that issue an annual travel credit?
It came across as an other online travel charge and was not coded Frontier for the credit.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by lidosjawn
It came across as an other online travel charge and was not coded Frontier for the credit.
I think it is done through a third party, name of "statusmatch.com" or something like that... so it might not code as an airline charge.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.