Frontier Refund/Credit Policy

Old Apr 1, 20, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Frontier Refund/Credit Policy

I recently received a notification from Frontier that my flight schedule has changed for a May flight, and I was looking for some advice.

My original return flight was scheduled to be 4:45PM; it has now been rescheduled to 6:35AM. Because the flight number did not change, I guess this counts as a schedule change and not a cancellation?

The email asked me to accept the new schedule online. Because the new time would not have worked with my original travel plans (which aren't happening now), I did not accept the change online, and called customer service. I was offered a 90-day credit for the full fare amount, which I declined, so my reservation is currently unchanged (and still not accepted online, as I received a second email notice about it today).

To try and keep the possibility of a full refund, is my only option to wait it out and see if this flight eventually gets cancelled (would a refund even be an option at this point, or do you think they would push a credit in this case as well)?
Old Apr 1, 20, 7:48 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lightning19 View Post
I
To try and keep the possibility of a full refund, is my only option to wait it out and see if this flight eventually gets cancelled (would a refund even be an option at this point, or do you think they would push a credit in this case as well)?
Call back and push for refund because of the MAJOR schedule change. Once you kindly ask for a supervisor they will suddenly do it.

Or, if you get a 3rd notice on schedule change they will phone you soon after to advise you of the change. The agent, unfortunately, has no more or less power than all other phone agents.
Old Apr 1, 20, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would request a refund on the basis that a roughly 10-hour change is a cancellation, whether F9 changes the flight number or not. If you are denied a refund initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank) making clear that F9 cancelled your flight and then rescheduled it for 10 hours earlier. Have a copy of your e-ticket receipt and your cancellation (change) notice and upload or otherwise provide them with you chargeback.

Not worth arguing at a time when F9 (and other carriers) are trying to preserve cash.

If you want, you may also file a DOT Complaint on the same grounds, e.g., 10-hour change is a cancellation and DOT rules require a refund for a cancellation.

Having nothing to do with Covid-19, the fact that F9's own COC do not provide for a refund at a reasonable point, e.g. 90-120 minutes is a good reason not to book F9 in the future.
Old Apr 1, 20, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
As of March 21 when I saved this from their website, their policy was that the customer is entitled to a refund for a schedule change of more than 3 hours. I'm unable to find it on their website now (undoubtedly they took it down to avoid paying refunds) but I saved it as a PDF to protect myself when I saw the airlines were getting sketchy about providing refunds.

I would call back and insist on a refund based on the policy on their website. If they won't budge, dispute the charge with your credit card and file a complaint with the DOT (if they're still in business).

Old Apr 3, 20, 3:21 pm

DOT issued a Warning Letter to call carriers earlier today reiterating long-standing rules classifying lengthy delays as qualifying for a refund. It offers not to bring enforcement actions -- in light of the emergency -- for those carriers which, having offered a voucher, now process a refund. Whether "substantial" is 2 or 3 hours is an open question. But, one would think that 10 would qualify.

Consider filing a DOT complaint along with your chargeback.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...3%202020_0.pdf
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ulmguy View Post
As of March 21 when I saved this from their website, their policy was that the customer is entitled to a refund for a schedule change of more than 3 hours. I'm unable to find it on their website now (undoubtedly they took it down to avoid paying refunds) but I saved it as a PDF to protect myself when I saw the airlines were getting sketchy about providing refunds.

I would call back and insist on a refund based on the policy on their website. If they won't budge, dispute the charge with your credit card and file a complaint with the DOT (if they're still in business).

Thanks for posting the screenshot. I referenced it in a message on their Feedback Form and also in a Twitter message to @FrontierCare (I actually created my first Twitter account just to be able to do so).

I did not hear back from the feedback form, but I got a reply on Twitter today and was offered a full refund, so the $800 refund has been initiated and I got a confirmation email showing it.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Often1 likes this.
Old May 29, 20, 7:31 pm

Screen shot

Hi Lightning 19 -

could you please send me the screenshot you took. I purchased tickets in Feb 2020 and frontier has now changed my itinerary three times! My flights are now more than 10 hours difference.

thanks!
Hammer6
Old Jun 18, 20, 2:15 pm

Hello,

I saw this today. So I get an email today regarding the same thing you went through. I called but wanted to do 90 day credit. I wouldn't accept that. So I sent message on Twitter filled out the form. I will see what happens. So you did get a refund after you went through Twitter?

Thanks,
Ruth Ann Hager
Old Jun 28, 20, 5:15 pm

Got nothing

Hi -

so far I have supposedly talked to the highest customer service representative and he said that his hands were tied. He tried moving us to an airport in a different state with better times, but we specifically booked the airport we did due to its location and parking fees. I have written NBC 4 and ABC 7 to see if they’ll help me get what we are entitled to. I have also filed a claim with the Department of Transportation. Still nothing...
Old Jun 28, 20, 6:42 pm

You are entitled to a refund. Don't waste another second speaking with F9.

1. Initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).
2. File a DOT complaint.

With both, supply a copy of your e-ticket, receipt, the schedule changes, your request for a refund, and the denial.

For the benefit of others, you are going to find out quickly whether you are getting a refund. When you are denied or more than 7 days have passed since your request and no refund has been initiated, move to chargeback + DOT on the 8th day. Do everything in writing and keep copies (screen shots are fine). Supply that paperwork with your chargeback + DOT complaint and you will find this resolved in your favor fairly quickly and without a time investment on your part.
Old Jun 28, 20, 7:04 pm

Often1 - you mean supply frontier with the charge back and DoT claim?
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hammer6 View Post
Often1 - you mean supply frontier with the charge back and DoT claim?
No.

The "supply" refers back to DOT and your card issuer (bank). The key is that your submission is complete and cannot rationally be challenged.
Old Jul 31, 20, 12:06 pm

I just received notification that my flights have been changed one was 6 hours and one was 12 hours. Has anyone had any luck with a refund? They are telling me a significant change is calendar day. I am getting nowhere with frontier and already filed a complaint with the DOT. Thanks
Old Jul 31, 20, 1:47 pm

File a chargeback. Include with the chargeback with your credit card issuer. Include with it:
1. Copy of your e-ticket receipt.
2. Copy of schedule changes (showing original & new times)
3. Copy of your request for a refund.
4. Copy of F9 response.

Make sure that the package is complete (same documents should also have been submitted to DOT). 6-12 hours as not "significant" is over the top and will likely result in a sustained chargeback in your favor.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: