Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AlohaDaveKennedy
Frontier has announced upcoming charge changes:

. . . ● Flyers who purchase Basic fares from third party suppliers will pay $25 for carry-on baggage and up to $100 at the gate. (Items fitting under the seat in front of you do not count.)

. . . ● Checked first bag fee will increase to $25 for many.

. . . ● Beverages for some (e.g. Basic buyers) will cost $1.99.

See fare options and perquisites here
Print Wikipost

Frontier to charge for carry on luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Frontier World MasterCard
This is exactly why I always wear my cargo pants and fit everything I need in all my pockets! No more fighting for overhead space for me!
Old May 8, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ThugLyf3
This is exactly why I always wear my cargo pants and fit everything I need in all my pockets! No more fighting for overhead space for me!
The TSA and the pax in line behind you must love you .
Old May 9, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I've been steering some business to F9 over the last few years when they were considerably cheaper than AA or UA. That will stop with these changes. Case in point: Just booked WN over F9 DEN-LAX on an $82 WGA fare + $12.50 for EBCI. That's still cheaper than AA or UA on the date and time I need to fly this highly competitive route. The thought of carry-on fees and pay for drinks further repeled me, knowing I get free drinks and checked bags on WN. While I always tried to support the "hometown" (DEN) airline when AA doesn't work for me, I no longer will. Personally, I predict the demise of F9 unless they seriously define who they want to be: Jetblue, a legacy carrier, or Spirit. This hybrid nonsense is no good for anybody.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Personally, I predict the demise of F9 unless they seriously define who they want to be: Jetblue, a legacy carrier, or Spirit. This hybrid nonsense is no good for anybody.
Frontier defined that well over a year ago:

http://crankyflier.com/2012/01/30/fr...-cost-carrier/

"Frontier Charts Its Course as an Ultra Low Cost Carrier"

And repeated it just recently:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...her-site.html/

"Frontier Airlines is rebranding itself as an “ultra low-cost carrier,” and that means some things will no longer be free."

The trade-off is - generally - lower fares.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by davywavy
Frontier defined that well over a year ago:

http://crankyflier.com/2012/01/30/fr...-cost-carrier/

"Frontier Charts Its Course as an Ultra Low Cost Carrier"

And repeated it just recently:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...her-site.html/

"Frontier Airlines is rebranding itself as an “ultra low-cost carrier,” and that means some things will no longer be free."

The trade-off is - generally - lower fares.
Elite and ala carte flyers should love this shouldn't they? The elites will be excused from paying most if not all of the fees and can feel special because 'kettles' have to pay-up; the ala carte flyers will only have to pay for what they use and not to support services for others. Seems like what a lot of other threads have been calling for in an airline.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
So how will award tickets be handled prospectively -- free carry-on luggage (since you have to make the booking on the Frontier website) but beverages cost extra?
I'm wondering about this too. But I have a bad feeling that those holding award tickets will be paying for whatever they want to bring along, one way or another (paid checked bag, which was already their policy, or paid carry-on) - or in my case probably both.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Elite and ala carte flyers should love this shouldn't they? The elites will be excused from paying most if not all of the fees and can feel special because 'kettles' have to pay-up; the ala carte flyers will only have to pay for what they use and not to support services for others. Seems like what a lot of other threads have been calling for in an airline.
I agree with this sentiment 100%. I do a lot of short range and short duration travel and it always irks me because it takes so much effort to get status, and I am always stuck behind the travelers at TSA with the huge rollaboards with three laptops and an Xbox, etc, while I'm waiting with my modest backpack or shoulder bag. Of course, I am *that* passenger every now and then but I wouldn't mind having to pay extra (or to ensure loyalty to one airline so I get perks) when that happens. I think charging money for carry ons is a long overdue necessity in this day and age of flight travel. This will eventually be the norm.

P.S. I'm also a fan of anything that deters people from using Travelocity et al. Consumers need to realize that booking directly from the airline makes the most sense.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I've been steering some business to F9 over the last few years when they were considerably cheaper than AA or UA. That will stop with these changes. Case in point: Just booked WN over F9 DEN-LAX on an $82 WGA fare + $12.50 for EBCI. That's still cheaper than AA or UA on the date and time I need to fly this highly competitive route. The thought of carry-on fees and pay for drinks further repeled me, knowing I get free drinks and checked bags on WN. While I always tried to support the "hometown" (DEN) airline when AA doesn't work for me, I no longer will. Personally, I predict the demise of F9 unless they seriously define who they want to be: Jetblue, a legacy carrier, or Spirit. This hybrid nonsense is no good for anybody.
Agree! I fly Frontier occasionally and have had great experiences. However, we are required to use EGENCIA for business bookings. Due to this and F9's new policies, I would have to pay for carry on. Not going to happen. I used to use F9 as my back up carrier to UA either due to cost or routings/ times. I don't fly them enough to have elite status, only about 9k a year.

Sorry to leave them, but if I want true LCC, it would be SW.
Funny fare story though, I need to be in SAN for my nephews graduation from Marine boot camp in June. Which carrier do you think had the lowest fare for my dates? (SW/F9, or UA)
To my surprise, it was UA.
UA $174 RT
SW $ 214 RT
F9 $ $374 RT

Go figure.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by JLaw725
Sorry to leave them, but if I want true LCC, it would be SW.
I believe there are a lot of reasons to fly Southwest. Being a LCC is not one of those reasons as they are not.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:00 pm

Southwest is too crowded.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:24 pm

I didn't read every single reply, but I cannot find any information regarding charging for carry on luggage. Even their website makes no mention of charging for carry on bags.

I booked on Orbitz and fly this month. I plan to have a carry on that could easily fit under the seat. Will I be charged?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by HCSmooth66
I actually like the idea of charging for carryon bags if, and this is a big IF, it is part of the evolution of bag fees and policies that actually makes sense. I think that the current system just creates a giant clusterf*** of a boarding process. I have always felt that there seems to be some kind of massive disconnect between ticketing and boarding. Doesn't feel like anyone follows the bag policies of one bag and one personal item. Or, they interpret personal item to mean an extra rollerboard or giant backpack. I am not a fan, long-term, of fees for carryon bags. I am a fan of pushing the industry to have a rational bag policy. Start enforcing your own rules and people will adjust and everything will be simpler.
Maybe they backed off?

No mention here - Frontier Carry-On Baggage

I do like how they open the discussion on carry-ons:

You can take it with you ... if you follow these guidelines ...

Don't get carried away with your carry-on baggage. You'll be sharing the plane with others, so please understand that we allow each passenger one carry-on bag and one personal item which fits underneath the seat. All baggage is subject to inspection by airport security and our personnel. Each passenger should have his or her name and contact information on each carry-on item.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I didn't read every single reply, but I cannot find any information regarding charging for carry on luggage. Even their website makes no mention of charging for carry on bags.

I booked on Orbitz and fly this month. I plan to have a carry on that could easily fit under the seat. Will I be charged?
You should of booked directly on the Frontier website. Don't think you will be charged.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Earthlings
You should of booked directly on the Frontier website. Don't think you will be charged.
Actually, It was a bit cheaper on Orbitz and I saved a ton of money on the rental car by booking flight and car together. I got lucky on the car though, I wasn't expecting that.

I'm not even a Frontier member. They just happen to have lower fares lately and better schedules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.