Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AlohaDaveKennedy
Frontier has announced upcoming charge changes:

. . . ● Flyers who purchase Basic fares from third party suppliers will pay $25 for carry-on baggage and up to $100 at the gate. (Items fitting under the seat in front of you do not count.)

. . . ● Checked first bag fee will increase to $25 for many.

. . . ● Beverages for some (e.g. Basic buyers) will cost $1.99.

See fare options and perquisites here
Print Wikipost

Frontier to charge for carry on luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Race to the bottom ......
Old May 1, 2013, 4:37 pm

This will only increase the exodus to Southwest.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
A lot of this is inevitable. If you want the lowest possible fares you need to charge for things that make flying people more expensive. Their biggest challenge will be public outreach and keeping their passengers informed.

Looks like Basic fares will now only accumulate 25% of miles flown. I do find it surprising that checking bags will be $25 for the first one (if checking in at the airport) but only $20 for the second. I'm surprised the soda fee isn't waived if you book online, but oh well.

They are pushing more and more to get people to the website and save on GDS fees.
So "basic fares" are just tickets sold through other websites, right? Is there any difference between basic and economy, besides the announced changes? Are they always the same price?
Old May 1, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Frontier Airlines to charge for drinks, carry-on bags

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/0...est=latestnews
Old May 1, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I wish every airline would charge for large carry on bags. It would eliminate the boarding scrum and speed up the process.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Can't imagine keeping track of who bought what where during the boarding process is going to be very efficient.

As to the general point of the thread, didn't most of the legacies commit to Congress that they wouldn't charge for carry-on luggage?
Old May 1, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
I wish every airline would charge for large carry on bags. It would eliminate the boarding scrum and speed up the process.
No. Just charge for space in the overheads.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
F9 will have a new owner within a few months, and the new owner will have its own ideas on pricing / bundling.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
According to the USA Today article, all fares purchased on flyfrontier.com will still earn 100% but if you buy your ticket at Priceline or others you'll only get 25%. What I don't get is why they don't just leave the GDS all together and not punish people who just happened to book with them through one of the big OTA's? I am guessing it's because the kayakers wouldn't think to check their website if it didn't show up anywhere else. But the model works fine for Southwest so who knows?

I worry about the demise of F9 because F9 keeps fares in check in certain markets. My mother lives near Knoxville, TN so when I need to fly there, I am grateful F9 services Knoxville because they keep the fares lower on all airlines. Ironically, on many dates I check F9 isn't the lowest price in the market, but its mere presence and willingness to offer last minute $200 fares one way keeps the other airlines competitive. They pulled out for a few months and when they did the last minute one way nearly doubled. So their presence is great for me. However, I probably wouldn't consider making F9 my primary airline because of these negative changes. They need to strive to be more like Jet Blue than Spirit.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453

They need to strive to be more like Jet Blue than Spirit.
Agree!
Old May 1, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
They pulled out for a few months and when they did the last minute one way nearly doubled. So their presence is great for me. However, I probably wouldn't consider making F9 my primary airline because of these negative changes. They need to strive to be more like Jet Blue than Spirit.
Frontier tried running DEN-TYS through the first winter, and they didn't get the loads, so it went seasonal. It does fine in summer.

It's the old issue - use it or lose it.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Perhaps they're trying to compete with Spirit or Ryanair? Race to the bottom?
Old May 2, 2013, 7:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Earthlings
But how would they know if you bought it through another website?
I am sure it would be very easy to either code it on your boarding pass (when scanned at the gate) and/or print it on the boarding pass - "1 free carry on" or something like that.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot here: this move would pretty much eliminate my ability to fly Frontier for business. All of our business travel is booked through a travel agent website. There have to be a lot of people out there in the same boat.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
So "basic fares" are just tickets sold through other websites, right? Is there any difference between basic and economy, besides the announced changes? Are they always the same price?
Basic and Economy are 2 different fare classes, but generally they are only a few cents apart for price. There are many differences in fees for Basic fares vs Economy: http://www.flyfrontier.com/plan-book/fare-options

Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot here: this move would pretty much eliminate my ability to fly Frontier for business. All of our business travel is booked through a travel agent website. There have to be a lot of people out there in the same boat.
How is this any different than a week ago? If you fly them a lot, you get all the same benefits as before. 15000 miles is incredibly low for elite status and a business traveler should be able to get that no problem.

However, Frontier is a leisure airline first. They will never be able to compete with the legacies (including WN) on service and frequency, so they compete on price. In order to give travelers the lowest possible price, they need to earn revenue through other channels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.