Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TTN: Possible additional expansion

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25
Are there other airports in the NE or where winters are cold, without jet bridges but having mainline commercial service?

Does ILG have one?

LBE (used by Spirit) claims to have one:
http://www.palmerairport.com/html/terminal.html

"Finally, youll stay safe, warm and dry as you board through our new, state-of-the-art passenger loading bridge."
No, ILG does not have a jet bridge.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
(CMC got to it before me..mods please delete when you get a chance)
Old May 12, 2013, 12:48 pm

I flew out of TTN today and I have to say, I am now a believer in Frontier. Cannot beat these fares! Plus, if you're willing to do a bit of walking you can easily get to/from the airport with public transporation. I hope Frontier is able to keep these fares for a while because I could ser myself flying with them every week (and I used to be a very loyal Delta customer)
Old May 12, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by markraby
Plus, if you're willing to do a bit of walking you can easily get to/from the airport with public transportation.
Could you elaborate on the public transportation? The low fare billboards taunt every time I'm on NJ transit, but I haven't figured out how to make the airport for me. I'm a carless New Yorker.
Old May 12, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Could you elaborate on the public transportation? The low fare billboards taunt every time I'm on NJ transit, but I haven't figured out how to make the airport for me. I'm a carless New Yorker.
You could take Amtrak or NJ Transit to Trenton Transit Center, then take the NJT Route 608 bus to the West Trenton Train Station. From there it is about a 1.7 mile walk to the airport.
Old May 12, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by cmc722
You could take Amtrak or NJ Transit to Trenton Transit Center, then take the NJT Route 608 bus to the West Trenton Train Station. From there it is about a 1.7 mile walk to the airport.
Precisely what I did (with NJT). I don't believe the 608 runs on Sundays so I had to take the 609 which doesn't go quite as close but it's still walkable. The area around the airport is very nice and appears to be a fairly upscale part of town so no worries with safety. There's no sidewalk on the street that goes to the airport (you can walk on the solid grass though) and it is a bit uphill. But on a day like this, with gorgeous weather, it's actually a decently pleasant walk
Old May 14, 2013, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

From the ILG thread (I brought it over because I didn't want to get too much into TTN in the ILG Thread)

Originally Posted by davywavy
Just to clarify that - I could easily imagine Frontier going 2 x daily on some days on certain routes - TTN-MDW/RDU on Fridays and Sundays, perhaps, and maybe ATL on Sundays.
My flights to and from MDW were close to sold out My TTN-MDW (Friday 5/10) only had 3 seats left per the FA and my MDW-TTN flight (Sunday 5/12) was close to sold out too. So yes, I can see TTN-MDW doing a 2X on Friday and 2x on Sunday for MDW-TTN.

Perhaps also another 1X could be added to TTN-MSY in the winter. The Friday flight is usually going for around $200-$250 one way. I could see adding a PM Thursday flight
Old May 14, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by markraby
Precisely what I did (with NJT). I don't believe the 608 runs on Sundays so I had to take the 609 which doesn't go quite as close but it's still walkable. The area around the airport is very nice and appears to be a fairly upscale part of town so no worries with safety. There's no sidewalk on the street that goes to the airport (you can walk on the solid grass though) and it is a bit uphill. But on a day like this, with gorgeous weather, it's actually a decently pleasant walk
Check the schedule:

This is route 608.
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0608.pdf

This is route 609.
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1601.pdf

Yes, there is Sunday Schedule. I just lookup onto the entire website. You can take route 608 or 609.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Check the schedule:

This is route 608.
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0608.pdf

This is route 609.
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1601.pdf

Yes, there is Sunday Schedule. I just lookup onto the entire website. You can take route 608 or 609.
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I wonder why Google Maps never recommends the 608 on Sundays, then... When I plugged it in, it didn't give me any options until Monday morning (and, on Monday, the suggested route was the 608)
Old May 16, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy
Agreed. I would love to see some expansion at PHF. :-)
And it seems I got my wish - at least partially. PHF - Newport News airport - announced today that Apple/Frontier are stating service PHF-CUN in February:

http://www.facebook.com/FLYPHF?fref=ts

It is winter seasonal, end in April, 1 x weekly (Saturday) and so far it appears to be Apple charter, not Frontier in conjunction with Apple.

But it's a start. :-)

Last edited by davywavy; May 16, 2013 at 8:07 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 18, 2013, 10:08 am

It appears that Frontier will not loan the county for terminal improvements.
http://www.state.nj.us/counties/merc...ment130616.pdf

Project No. 9 Terminal Building Modifications

PFC Level: $4.50
Estimated PFC Eligible Cost: $315,000
Estimated Start Date: August, 2013
Estimated Completion Date: December, 2013

Description: Provide funding for the Terminal Building Modifications project at the Airport. The work proposed is within the existing building envelope and will improve the queuing of passengers passing through security as well as provide a secure and improved hold room area for passengers awaiting boarding of aircraft. Included in the building modification is the creating of restrooms in a portion of the existing space within the boarding area for the convenience of passengers who have successfully passed through the security check point. The total estimated cost for the project is $315,000. This project will be funded totally with PFC collections. Therefore, PFC funding will financially support the total $315,000 for the Project.

Justification: The existing building was originally constructed in the 1970s prior to todays current increased security requirements. There has been limited scheduled commercial service at the airport since the increased security regulations were instituted after the 2001 tragedy. Frontier Airlines recently started scheduled service from Trenton Mercer Airport significantly increasing the passenger activity at the airport. The proposed terminal building modifications will improve security and handling of the increased passenger activity generated resulting from Frontiers new service.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

An article posted in The Trenton Times, provides alot of new information on the way the airport is going.

1. Frontier extends lease till 2018 (not really much of a committment as I think the rent is under $20K a year or something)
2. County Freeholders will be voting on a proposal that allows TTN to charge between $5 and $12 for parking. I am not liking that $5 is a little steep for parking at TTN and with them allowing them to raise it to $12 in the future without a new vote really worries me. Parking fees will likely start in November after the 2 month suspension.
3. The $3 million dollar parking facility will be a 463 space LOT not a parking garage. Seems to be too much to pay for just a parking LOT. Also Rental Car parking and employee parking will be removed from the main lot and put elsewhere to increase the amount of spaces available close to the terminal
4. Terminal Improvements will use the current baggage claim area for additional seating and bathrooms while moving the baggage claim area outside to a "modular facility" read trailer. Not a bad option, I had thought about that when wondering how they would improve the area. Also the new space will allow a new gate to be added

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...der_board.html
Old May 19, 2013, 12:01 pm

I am glad that there are only limited but adequate improvements planned now because I wouldn't want a larger investment into the terminal and a parking structure to make it harder to invest in a new terminal (that would be developed in conjunction with the Ewing town center proposals, including moving the West Trenton train station) in the future.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonu
I am glad that there are only limited but adequate improvements planned now because I wouldn't want a larger investment into the terminal and a parking structure to make it harder to invest in a new terminal (that would be developed in conjunction with the Ewing town center proposals, including moving the West Trenton train station) in the future.
What I meant was that $3 million seems alot for just a parking lot. If thats all they are getting, then why?
Old May 19, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Marriott Titanium
Without knowing anything for sure, I'm guessing that the $3MM includes the cost of the booths, lanes, fencing, signage and office space/infrastructure to collect and enforce the new parking fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.