Stretch seating is coming

Old Nov 3, 09, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,F9 Summit, UA Exec, HH Diamond
Post Stretch seating is coming

Found this in my inbox this week; info about the extra legroom is at the bottom. Interesting other changes precede it.

Dear SteveinSTL,
Soon you'll see the first tangible signs of our new partnership with Midwest Airlines, also part of the Republic Airways Holdings family. Although our family ties are new, our common commitment to the highest-quality customer service is not. Regardless of which aircraft you board, you’ll find a safe, reliable, comfortable flight experience.
Policy Changes Coming Soon
As we align our policies to support our integration, the following changes will go into effect on November 3, 2009:
• Beginning November 3, 2009, Midwest Airlines will recognize some benefits of EarlyReturns Ascent and Summit members. This means that Frontier’s elite members (with the presentation of their membership card) will receive two free checked bags and priority check in/boarding no matter which airline they book or fly with.
• Award ticket changes and redeposit fees will be reduced from $75 to $50 for redemptions on or after November 3, 2009.
• Standard award tickets redeemed on or after November 3, 2009 will be charged $20 for one checked bag and $30 for a second checked bag. View our baggage policy. CHOICE redemptions, Ascent members, and Summit members will continue to receive two free checked bags.
Introducing STRETCH Seating
STRETCH is the first four rows of seating that provide an additional five inches of legroom — that’s a minimum of 36 inches of comfy seat pitch in which to relax and enjoy the Frontier flying experience.
STRETCH will be available on select E190 aircraft beginning November 3, 2009 and will be expanded to our Airbus fleet by February 1, 2010.
Get the STRETCH FAQs
Stay tuned for more exciting changes coming your way as we continue to integrate with our new family.
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Economy Plus is in my opinion the smartest thing United ever did. Well worth copying.
Old Nov 4, 09, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,F9 Summit, UA Exec, HH Diamond
a nice perk, but enough?

Sure, agree that Econ plus gives nice extra legroom to those willing to pay or with status. That said, really doubt that 4 rows will suffice. Getting a space avail upgrade 24 hrs prior as a Summit seems like that'll be a rarity. However, better than the chances currently.

Who knows, maybe this is just the beginning of cabin reconfig - first class might be next...
Old Nov 4, 09, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA
Didn't get the email. Curious how this will work out, I usually see the first 2 or 3 rows blocked in the system and can't access them even being Summit until I check in.
Also do they give them to you like E+ if you have status or you still need to pay extra for them ? I would be way more interested to have seat blocking for a free middle like UA used to do in the old days.
Old Nov 7, 09, 8:36 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by German Expat View Post
Didn't get the email. Curious how this will work out, I usually see the first 2 or 3 rows blocked in the system and can't access them even being Summit until I check in.
Also do they give them to you like E+ if you have status or you still need to pay extra for them ? I would be way more interested to have seat blocking for a free middle like UA used to do in the old days.
SWA's open seating is natural seat blocking -- most people won't sit in a middle unless that is all that is left. Sure, a couple might sit together thus taking a middle, but if you sit in the window and you get another person in the aisle, then the open middle is locked up until there are no more window/aisles left. Call it the "bus seat rule" if you will. Also, because SWA flies with a lower load factor (and can afford to, given lower costs), the chance of an open middle is greater, especially for the non-status traveler. As a 2P with United, I rarely got seat blocking. As an A-list with Southwest, I get it all the time. Even if I lose A-list, I can still check in at T-24 and get a pretty good A boarding pass.

E+ is nice, but not worth the hassle and expense, in my opinion of bag fees and especially change fees. Even with status, E+ is NOT free -- they still get you on the change fees.
Old Nov 9, 09, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by FCfree View Post
SWA's open seating is natural seat blocking -- most people won't sit in a middle unless that is all that is left. Sure, a couple might sit together thus taking a middle, but if you sit in the window and you get another person in the aisle, then the open middle is locked up until there are no more window/aisles left. Call it the "bus seat rule" if you will. Also, because SWA flies with a lower load factor (and can afford to, given lower costs), the chance of an open middle is greater, especially for the non-status traveler. As a 2P with United, I rarely got seat blocking. As an A-list with Southwest, I get it all the time. Even if I lose A-list, I can still check in at T-24 and get a pretty good A boarding pass.

E+ is nice, but not worth the hassle and expense, in my opinion of bag fees and especially change fees. Even with status, E+ is NOT free -- they still get you on the change fees.
How did I end up in the Southwest Rapid Rewards forum?
Old Nov 17, 09, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
It seems the extra leg room for the "stretch" seats is at the sacrafice of all the rows and seats behind "stretch." http://www.gadling.com/2009/11/15/fr...-for-others%2F
Old Nov 17, 09, 6:54 am

Frontier is pretty lousy with their information policy. I never received (at least can't remember) an email with information about it. I see this as a serious devaluation of the product for frequent fliers. Their current seat pitch was ok for me but now it is really squeezing it.
I am Summit but even with the status you won't get it except via online check-in (24 hours ahead, almost sounds like the Southwest game now, check in early).
I do not like this change at all and might just consider moving to Southwest for my low cost flying. I have E+ with United for free.
Old Nov 17, 09, 8:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by swdke View Post
It seems the extra leg room for the "stretch" seats is at the sacrafice of all the rows and seats behind "stretch." http://www.gadling.com/2009/11/15/fr...-for-others%2F
Ouch! It's not copying UA's Economy Plus if you don't remove any seats; it's devaluing your basic product!

Frontier is essentially introducing Economy Minus Minus as its new product. I've always heard good things about Frontier, but this move is likely to change that.

Yes, I know that times are tough, but that's even more reason to make good decisions. Customers have a choice. Lack of reasonable seat pitch will drive customers away, and they won't come back for a long, long time. Why? Because even if you restore the seat pitch, the customers won't know it until they try your airline again. And they won't try your airline because of the bad experience the last time.

We see this all the time on FT: "I'll never fly SkyTruck Airlines again!" after one bad flight. Airlines simply cannot afford to disappoint large numbers of customers. Scrunching the seats together is a bad, bad idea. Did Southwest install moles at Frontier to mismanage it back into bankruptcy?
Old Nov 17, 09, 8:21 am

Fully agree with your statement. They are devaluing their product. If you fly really cheap once or twice a year from A to B you might not care. But for a business traveler flying a lot you won't touch them with broomstick if they don't cater to your needs.
With a 30" or 31" seat pitch I doubt I could even open my laptop (13" model, works well on the current seat). I don't want to be squeezed into a sardine can 30 times per month.
They can argue its only 15$ price difference but this is just nickel and diming.
I am seriously considering swapping my LCC flights over to Southwest, just need to figure out whether they do any A-list status match.
Also just wrote an email to Frontier expressing my dissatisfaction. Not sure they try to get rid of business travelers and just cater to the masses or what their incentive is to do it.
I for one was pretty ok with their current seat pitch.

Search this Thread