FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stretch seating is coming
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:36 am
FCfree

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by German Expat
Didn't get the email. Curious how this will work out, I usually see the first 2 or 3 rows blocked in the system and can't access them even being Summit until I check in.
Also do they give them to you like E+ if you have status or you still need to pay extra for them ? I would be way more interested to have seat blocking for a free middle like UA used to do in the old days.
SWA's open seating is natural seat blocking -- most people won't sit in a middle unless that is all that is left. Sure, a couple might sit together thus taking a middle, but if you sit in the window and you get another person in the aisle, then the open middle is locked up until there are no more window/aisles left. Call it the "bus seat rule" if you will. Also, because SWA flies with a lower load factor (and can afford to, given lower costs), the chance of an open middle is greater, especially for the non-status traveler. As a 2P with United, I rarely got seat blocking. As an A-list with Southwest, I get it all the time. Even if I lose A-list, I can still check in at T-24 and get a pretty good A boarding pass.

E+ is nice, but not worth the hassle and expense, in my opinion of bag fees and especially change fees. Even with status, E+ is NOT free -- they still get you on the change fees.