F9 makes an emergency landing at MCI (Bird Strike)

Old Nov 15, 09, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage and Delta Skymiles
F9 makes an emergency landing at MCI (Bird Strike)

Glad everyone is safe!

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/lo...MVVOiaSlw.cspx
Old Nov 15, 09, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Wow - a near-repeat of the USAir Hudson River incident. Apparently both engines were struck, but in this case, the left engine continued to operate so they could land back at MCI.

These bird strikes are increasingly worrisome.
Old Nov 15, 09, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I'm surprised there hasn't been more bird strike incidents around MCI given the terrain that surrounds the airport. I know the airport/conservation folks have tried everything (from air cannons to sharp shooters), but the bird population, especially this time of year with the migratory flocks is just insane.

I'm betting the aircraft either struck ducks, geese, or maybe even a hawk. Doubtful on the latter, since those aren't typically the flock types.

But yeah, this one was striking similar to the Hudson incident, only the outcome could have been much worse since there's no bodies of water to attempt a ditch. Just glad all 120 walked away safely!
Old Nov 15, 09, 9:01 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I'm also glad for the good out come on this one. Handled very well by the entire crew
Old Nov 15, 09, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
I'm also glad for the good out come on this one. Handled very well by the entire crew
Ditto. They did have the Missouri River for a water landing but glad everyone was able to return safely to the airport. It was obviously tense and scary. The video of the plane being towed to the American Airlines overhaul base was amazing because of the damage to the plane. Kudos to the pilots for getting the bird on the ground safely.
Old Nov 17, 09, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by zipadee View Post
They did have the Missouri River for a water landing
Doubtful. Average depth of the Missouri River around Kansas City is only about 8-10 feet from what I can gather on the internets. The Hudson River is 50 feet deep where the Airbus landed.

Unlike NYC, however, the F9 plane would have had lots and lots of level plowed fields to land in.
Old Nov 19, 09, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Correct. Missouri River around KC is not very deep. 10-20 feet at the most. A field landing would have been bad. Really really bad! Just glad those birds didn't take out both engines. Latest news is suggesting they likely hit a flock of geese (based on what I heard on yesterday's morning news).

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Doubtful. Average depth of the Missouri River around Kansas City is only about 8-10 feet from what I can gather on the internets. The Hudson River is 50 feet deep where the Airbus landed.

Unlike NYC, however, the F9 plane would have had lots and lots of level plowed fields to land in.

Search this Thread