Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Construction of the Canal Saint-Martin was ordered by Napoleon I in 1802.
so the canals make paris an island?????

we tried to do a canal trip on 2 occasions. both in mid winter, and they were not available for some reason. maybe high water? i do know all the river cruses were cancelled because the boats did not fit under the bridges. if the canals did not have locks, they would not be serviceable.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by cygnus
one of the best places I've ever been to in Paris is the Restaurant "Ile de la Reunion", 96 rue Daguerre, close to Montparnasse cemetery.

This is a small place that serves food from Reunion island, which is a great mixture of Indian, African, French food which tastes amazingly. Try the goat or the squid, and best go as a group and share. The place does not look like a lot from the outside, but the food compensates for it.
Back to food, I fully concur with what is written above. I have discovered it several years ago thanks to a close friend of mine who is from Réunion Island but living in Paris.

A must do if you like "bonbons piment" and "Cari zourites".
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Some fabulous bistros on my last visit with a minimum of tourist traffic and wonderful, creative dishes with fresh, undercooked vegetables on the plates:

Metropolitain, 4th
Le Taxi Jaune, 3rd
Christophe, 5th
Frenchie, 2nd.
Monjul, 4th.

I think the "island guy" is mixing up Paris with Montreal. A check of Google Earth is in order for him/her. Look at both cities and see which is an island.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:39 pm

A must on bistrot food at affordable price is Chez Nenesse.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Le Pain Quotidien - just a few blocks from the Hyatt Vendome and only a few doors down from a grocery and laundry. Some of the best Belgium Waffles I have ever eaten. I make sure I visit every trip just for breakfast.

http://www.lepainquotidien.fr
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JoshC
Le Pain Quotidien - just a few blocks from the Hyatt Vendome and only a few doors down from a grocery and laundry. Some of the best Belgium Waffles I have ever eaten. I make sure I visit every trip just for breakfast.

Good to know. I've been for for lunch and thought it was OK.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Mar 6, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Go to know. I've been for for lunch and thought it was OK.
If you do your own laundry like I do, it is a great place to kill some time.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:08 pm

If you do your own laundry like I do, it is a great place to kill some time.
the last time I did laundry in Paris, someone had left something nasty and sticky in the dryer that ruined some fleece.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Your pick for best "secret" food in Paris is a chain restaurant that is all over the US?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:52 pm

What are peoples' thoughts on the Parc/Chateau de Bagatelle? I'll be in Paris with my girlfriend in June and am planning to propose while we're there, and I thought this would be a beautiful setting that's a little off the beaten path. Thoughts or alternative suggestions? I'd like a park-like setting that's on the quieter/less crowded side.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
so the canals make paris an island?????
Not as far as I'm concerned though previous poster seems under that impression and I was merely correcting the misinformation about who ordered the construction of the canals.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Haven't checked if this has already been mentioned but Pierre Herme's kugelhopf which I ate for breakfast at Raffle's in Paris is divine!
Old May 3, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
What are peoples' thoughts on the Parc/Chateau de Bagatelle? I'll be in Paris with my girlfriend in June and am planning to propose while we're there, and I thought this would be a beautiful setting that's a little off the beaten path. Thoughts or alternative suggestions? I'd like a park-like setting that's on the quieter/less crowded side.
You might give the Parc Montsouris a look as an alternative. Easy to get to off the RER-B (Cite Universitaire), quite pretty. I've not been in a while, but it was always one of my favorite spots in Paris.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
You might give the Parc Montsouris a look as an alternative. Easy to get to off the RER-B (Cite Universitaire), quite pretty. I've not been in a while, but it was always one of my favorite spots in Paris.
How about Giverny -though not exactly off the beaten path?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
Any recommendations for near the Trocadero? - I'll be staying at the Rue Saint Didier.

Is there a yelp site for Paris?
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, restaurant Victor is right near you and an excellent choice. I stay in this area often at the Lord Baltimore which has a nice restaurant too, but more pricey.

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/...is/victor.html

or http://www.lafourchette.com/2_restau..._Victor/18504/
Restaurant Victor was amazing! We ate there several times, the foie grois was magnifique! The wine was excellent! So much so we're repeating our stay.

Any new finds?

Merci encore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.