Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by b1513
And you can always sit and watch a game of pétanque there.
Too funny as I thought of including that and watching the small children playing football in the park in my earlier post.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by menton1
Paris is an island? Unless you mean that poetically, or unless you consider the Peripherique a body of water, it is not an island. You may be mixing it up with Montreal!
No I am not mixing up the peri with the canals that surround Paris. If you take the canal tour you'll find out. At times the tour goes underground. And I am not talking about the Les Catacombs.

http://en.pariscanal.com

http://www.paris.com/tours/all/seine...is_canals_tour

Another thing that I love going to are Les Guinguettes.
http://www.guinguette.fr/les-guingue...inguettes.html

This one is my favorite, http://www.chez-gegene.fr

This is another on a wonderful island : La Guinguette de l'Ile du Martin Pêcheur
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by b1513
And you can always sit and watch a game of pétanque there.

Another area I think is a little gem is Buttes des Cailles. It's very unique. Also, I think you might like the Bastille Market on Sundays ( I think it's on Thursdays too). There isn't just food and spices. It here is also a flea market type area in the front that has very inexpensive jewelry, scarves, etc. okay this isn't a "hidden" gem but it's kind of a fun place to visit and....oh, those delicious smelling roasting chickens. It's on Blvd Richard Lenoir. Get off at Metro stop Bastille and the market is right across the way.

Bobette
Ahh one of my secrets Buttes des cailles, alas it is very small, but still nice.

The 16th off Rue Raynouard, there is a very quaint street that the film industry uses quite a bit.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Some of my favourite parks, away from the crowds: the lovely Butte-Chaumont (brilliant landscape), Parc de la Villette (architecture), Parc Andre-Citroen (architecture).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:07 pm

as yet mentionned, but to complete it
La terrasse de l isnitut du monde arabe :
http://www.imarabe.org/page-sous-section/la-terrasse

- for the view : just enter the IMA , take the elevator and the view is free
- for the Thé a la menthe in Summer
- for Noura restaurant: pricey but good, unlike the Noura fast foods
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm surprised I haven't mentioned this before, but another of my favorite things to do is visit the vintage poster shop, Galerie Documents, at 53 rue de Seine. I was referred there by a friend quite a few years ago and have brought many things over the years. The owner, Mireille Romand, and her assistant Dominique, are very knowledgeable and both speak English. You will leave the shop knowing more than when you came in because every poster has a story and they will tell you that story - all you have to do is ask a question and they're off to the races. Another great thing is that is you are interested in buying a poster, you can have every confidence that you're getting an original, not a fake.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
When visiting the Musee d'Orsay, furniture lovers should visit the gallery devoted to "Belle Epoque" furniture constructed from the late 1800's to 1914; many pieces from actual homes are on display from that period at the Museum. The display is on the second or third floor I believe. Last visit in August we had a difficult time getting our brother-in-law to leave the display even though many visitors, including locals, aren't even aware it exists.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Not a great place for a drink or any drink at all, but the view from the roof of the Institut du Monde Arabe is my favorite in Paris - not to mention that the building itself is of architectural note and very much worth a visit.
The bistro right on the corner of the quai before the Institut starts (if you were walking in the direction from Notre Dame towards the Institut has one of the best sandwich mixte in Paris IMO. Can't remember the name offhand.

I don't think there's anywhere "secret" that hasn't been covered once or multiple times by various publications, but after 2+ years of living less than 3 blocks away, I finally went to Le Comptoir (#5 Carrefour de L'Odeon) over the weekend and I must say, the hype is deserved.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:31 am

"Our" secret is to speak French , it is romantic, and it makes every day so interesting.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The bistro right on the corner of the quai before the Institut starts (if you were walking in the direction from Notre Dame towards the Institut has one of the best sandwich mixte in Paris IMO. Can't remember the name offhand.

I don't think there's anywhere "secret" that hasn't been covered once or multiple times by various publications, but after 2+ years of living less than 3 blocks away, I finally went to Le Comptoir (#5 Carrefour de L'Odeon) over the weekend and I must say, the hype is deserved.
I went there once when he first moved, couldn't find anything that I could eat. Went there this past weekend, the menu improved, and the veggies were good. Not as good as Racine's but good, nevertheless. (I was there saturday night).The french don't know how to cook veggies. Have you gone to Jour (salad bar) they have kale on the menu. Don't, I repeat don't take it, it is very tough and rough.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The french don't know how to cook veggies.
What utter tribal nonsense.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
one of the best places I've ever been to in Paris is the Restaurant "Ile de la Reunion", 96 rue Daguerre, close to Montparnasse cemetery.

This is a small place that serves food from Reunion island, which is a great mixture of Indian, African, French food which tastes amazingly. Try the goat or the squid, and best go as a group and share. The place does not look like a lot from the outside, but the food compensates for it.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cygnus
one of the best places I've ever been to in Paris is the Restaurant "Ile de la Reunion", 96 rue Daguerre, close to Montparnasse cemetery.

This is a small place that serves food from Reunion island, which is a great mixture of Indian, African, French food which tastes amazingly. Try the goat or the squid, and best go as a group and share. The place does not look like a lot from the outside, but the food compensates for it.
Thanks! There are places like this hidden all over France. It's good to know of one in the Montparnasse area.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The french don't know how to cook veggies.
it is a well known fact that they don't know how to cook anything. stick to stuff like oysters, fois gras, & salmon,
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by slawecki
it is a well known fact that they don't know how to cook anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.