Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Two: What is Your Favorite "Secret" Thing to do (or Place to Eat) in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
What utter tribal nonsense.
Actually they over cook the veggies. Have you noticed that at most if not all the bistros haricot verts are the only veggies, and they are over cooked.

Racine served good veggies.

I really can't think of too many places that serve a variety of vegetables. I am not a vegetarian, but do enjoy a variety of veggies with my food.

As for the rest of the food, it is basically drenched in butter and cream.

Now, I don't mean the 2 or 3 stared rests, but your average place or even your above average place.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Actually they over cook the veggies. Have you noticed that at most if not all the bistros haricot verts are the only veggies, and they are over cooked.
I have noticed that about as much as I have noticed receiving a poorly served pint in English pubs. But I don't go claiming that the English can't serve a pint. Please think before you post ridiculous generalisations.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I have noticed that about as much as I have noticed receiving a poorly served pint in English pubs. But I don't go claiming that the English can't serve a pint. Please think before you post ridiculous generalisations.
Give me a list of restos that you think serve well done veggies and I will go to each one of them.

I can even as Joel Thiebault to supply me a list of the chefs who buy from hin and go visit each and every one of them. And the lady farmer from the north of Paris.

I said in general the french over cook their veggies.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue

I really can't think of too many places that serve a variety of vegetables. I am not a vegetarian, but do enjoy a variety of veggies with my food.

As for the rest of the food, it is basically drenched in butter and cream.
That's about as ill-informed as your posit that "Paris is an island."

The modern bistros with the young chefs are serving terrific food, the days of butter and cream in quantity are long past. As far as vegetables, they are not only usually UNDER cooked, but the presentation is gorgeous. Green beans, carrots, potatoes, spinach, asparagus, etc. A lot of great cooking going on in Paris.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:14 am
iff

Originally Posted by menton1
A lot of great cooking going on in Paris.
Yes, if you know where to find it.

Given the purportedly high number of restaurants in Paris that serve reheated frozen foods and the fact that there currently exists no requirement to state that on the menu, it wouldn't be at all surprising to find mushy green beans at an average neighborhood restaurant or bistro. The 2010 Canal+ report "Restaurants les pieds dans le plat" estimated that 30% of vegetables served in restaurants were of industrial origin.

In 2007 the "Maître Restaurateur" title was created to designate professionals who commit to using fresh foods in general--industrial foods might be used as an ingredient, but the final dish is created on-site. On their website you can find a list of restaurants that have been granted this title.

Not all of the good chefs are members, so word-of-mouth and reviews can be helpful in finding those who aren't.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the radio the other day they were discussing the "frozen" food issue and the misrepresentation of the restaurants.

Now I am NOT talking about places like Frenchie (can't find tables) or L'Office or Septime or Thoumiex, Au Passage,etc etc... First try to find places there at the last minute.

I am talking about places like your local bistro.

And when I say mention places and I will go and eat there, I really do mean it. Am always looking for new and good places.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The modern bistros with the young chefs are serving terrific food, the days of butter and cream in quantity are long past. As far as vegetables, they are not only usually UNDER cooked, but the presentation is gorgeous. Green beans, carrots, potatoes, spinach, asparagus, etc. A lot of great cooking going on in Paris.
And Paris IS an island. One of the Louis built the canals and connected them to the Seine so that Paris have easier deliveries.

But whatever.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Right, and here is another one for the poorly informed. Paris is not France. Maybe people should get out and actually experience a country before they smear it with stupid generalisations. I think perhaps some people here are only frequenting restaurants that cater to English and American tourists. Every restaurant I go to in Burgundy knows how to prepare vegetables and does not coat food in "butter and cream".

Here are the last two restaurants I visited, both excellent.

http://www.leguidedemarloux.com/ Traditional
http://www.lecharlemagne.fr/ French Japanese fusion

Yes this is a Paris thread, but statements like
The french don't know how to cook veggies.
just bother me.

Last edited by stimpy; Feb 3, 2013 at 4:32 am
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Right, and here is another one for the poorly informed. Paris is not France. Maybe people should get out and actually experience a country before they smear it with stupid generalisations. I think perhaps some people here are only frequenting restaurants that cater to English and American tourists. Every restaurant I go to in Burgundy knows how to prepare vegetables and does not coat food in "butter and cream".

just bother me.
^
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just bother me.
I apologies if I offended and/or bothered you.

I should reword my statement by saying that the restos that I go to in Paris cater to the American tourist, thus they cook food that pleases their main clients. Though I have been living here for many years and spent part of my childhood here.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Paris IS an island. One of the Louis built the canals and connected them to the Seine so that Paris have easier deliveries.

But whatever.
can you reference that? even in roman times, a lot of paris was on the left bank, and surround by land. i think Île de la Cité was about the same size as now as in the year zero. i do not see what canals have to do with the fact that paris is an island? you sure you're not talking about venice.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I apologies if I offended and/or bothered you.

I should reword my statement by saying that the restos that I go to in Paris cater to the American tourist, thus they cook food that pleases their main clients. Though I have been living here for many years and spent part of my childhood here.
we spent some time in Lyon last month. it is not much of a tourist town. we did only eat in high end restaurants(about 20 of them). the food prep had very little butter, oil, or creame. the only fat was foie gras. Lyon must be the capitol of foie gras. not much english spoken here.

the food was superb, and about half the price of paris. no problems getting seated. excellent wait staff. very few tourist attractions.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
we spent some time in Lyon last month. it is not much of a tourist town. we did only eat in high end restaurants(about 20 of them). the food prep had very little butter, oil, or creame. the only fat was foie gras. Lyon must be the capitol of foie gras. not much english spoken here.

the food was superb, and about half the price of paris. no problems getting seated. excellent wait staff. very few tourist attractions.
Please do supply me with the names, as I am always trying to find new places. And since I have a dear friend who lives in Lyon I will do a day trip and have lunch with her in one of your recommendations.

As for the canals, here is a map: http://www.scribd.com/doc/92351675/C...Ville-de-Paris

Then there are the Canal St Martin (very well known and fun place in the summer, it goes right under the Bastille to merge into the Seine).
Canal St Denis.
And Canal de l'Ourcq.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Saint-Martin.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
One of the Louis built the canals
Construction of the Canal Saint-Martin was ordered by Napoleon I in 1802.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.