Reload this Page >

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: snic
NOTE: The French government website for applying for a Pass Sanitaire is no longer functional. The information in the Wiki therefore no longer applies. Current advice is to go to a French pharmacy to get your CDC vaccination card converted to a Pass Sanitaire, and in the process be relieved of 36 Euros you didn't really need anyway.

What is a Pass Sanitaire and why would I want one?

The Pass Sanitaire is France's version of the EU Digital Covid Certificate. The Certificate is an electronic pass that shows either that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19 or that the bearer has recently tested negative for Covid-19. It can be used to enter restaurants, lodgings, entertainment venues, museums, public transit, etc. Because it uses the EU standard, holders of the Pass Sanitaire can use it for these purposes all over Europe and in some non-EU countries (see the link above for details).

I'm vaccinated but not a French citizen or a citizen of a country that issues EU Digital Covid Certificates. Can I get a Pass Sanitaire showing I've been vaccinated?
Yes, if you have a travel ticket to France. See details below.

Do I really need a Pass Sanitaire? Can't I just show my American CDC vaccination record or my country's equivalent?
There are many reports of people being able to use their CDC record to enter restaurants, museums etc in France and other parts of Europe, especially in heavily touristed areas. However, there are a few reports of the CDC card being refused. As of this writing, some EU countries have requirements that those who have not been vaccinated must get tested for Covid-19 and show evidence of a recent test in order to enter restaurants etc. If a venue refuses to recognize your foreign certificate, in order to enter you would have to get a Covid test which would be valid for 2 to 3 days.

How do I get a Pass Sanitaire?
1. Go to this website and set up an account.
2. Answer the questions regarding your name, "foreign" address (that is, foreign to France - in other words, your home address outside of France), birth date, travel dates to France, and vaccination details. Upload the required documents, making sure the files are not too big (keep them under a few hundred kb). PDF files work fine. You will need images of:
-your passport
-your travel ticket showing dates of entry and exit from France
-your vaccination record
3. For the very last field ("fait a" - completed at), enter the date, time, and your location
4. Do NOT submit the application yet! See the next section, "When should I submit my application?"

When should I submit my application?
If you submit your application outside of the hours of 6 am to about noon Paris time, most likely your application will sit for weeks before it is reviewed. However, many people have had their applications approved almost instantaneously by submitting between 6 am and noon (12 am to 6 am Eastern time). If your application does not move to review within about 5 minutes after you submit it, simply start a new application and submit that one.

How do I start a new application? Do I need to use a new email address? And how do I submit an additional application for someone else, like a family member?
After you submit your application, click on "Dossiers" on the top of the page. Next to each application you've submitted, there is a link labelled "Actions". Click that and select the option to add a new application. The system will ask you to verify that you really want to do that rather than go to the existing application. Fill out the additional application as described above and submit it. You can use this process to either re-submit an existing application or submit an application for someone else, without having to set up a new account.

How do I know my application was approved?
You will receive an email. Also, in the "Dossiers" list, the status will say "Approved"

My application was approved on the second try. What do I do with the previous application that is still waiting for approval?
Just go to Dossiers, click the Action link, and choose delete (the trash can icon).

My application was approved. Now what do I do?
Your email will contain a link to a PDF file (also available for download from the "Dossiers" page). The file contains a QR code and your vaccination details. This is your Pass Sanitaire. You could just print this out and show it on demand, and/or you can make a digital version that is stored on your phone (see below). It's probably a good idea to print out a copy to take with you even if you make a digital version, in case your phone gets lost, stolen or damaged.

How do I upload the Pass Sanitaire to my phone?
To make a digital version, you have several options. Each country in Europe has its own app that allows its citizens to store a digital version of their EU Digital Covid Certificate. Some of these are only available to the country's citizens because you have to enter your medical ID number in order to add the Certificate. However, a few countries have apps that anyone can use. France's "TousAntiCovid" app is one of them - you can download it from the Apple or Google app store even in the US. It will allow you to scan the QR code on the Pass Sanitaire you downloaded, and then it will store the code and info for you to display when needed.

Alternatively, you can store your Pass Sanitaire in your Apple Wallet or a third-party wallet app. An easy way to do this is to go to https://www.getcovidpass.eu/ on your phone's web browser and follow the instructions to scan your Certificate. It will then store the pass in your Apple Wallet or, if you use Android, prompt you to download the "YourPass" app that provides the same functionality.

Using either the TousAntiCovid or wallet apps, or the paper certificate, you should be able to use your Pass Sanitaire throughout Europe, not just in France.

Does the Pass expire? Can I use it for multiple trips?
The website of the French consulate in Washington states that the pass for visitors does not expire. You should be able to use it for multiple trips. However, keep in mind that the authorities may change the vaccination requirements in the future (e.g., requiring a third vaccine injection). Your Pass will show only the vaccines you've received prior to submitting your application, so it would be rejected if your vaccines no longer meet the requirements.

I'm not visiting France. Are there other ways for non-Europeans to get a EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Yes. Some ways that have been reported to work:
1. Ask a pharmacist in Germany to convert your CDC card to a EU QR code. There are mixed reports of success with this; see the Germany forum and the top of this thread.
2. Upload your CDC card to the health department of a Swiss canton. There are reports of people getting a QR code without even even sending proof of a stay in Switzerland. See the same thread linked to just above, posts starting around October 16, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:13 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am 99.99% sure CDC card will be accepted. There is no way restaurants, museums, parks, etc will turn away non-EU vaccinated tourists.
Originally Posted by Channel28
We tried a pharmacy today and she said it was not possible to allow us the passe sanitaire. She suggested trying institut Pasteur but we didn’t make it there today. Met some Americans at Tour de France who are stationed in Belgium - they told us that Germany will give us the EU health passport. If no luck here we will try there next week when nearby.
Originally Posted by Marambio
Completely agree. Besides, there are so many Americans right now in Paris (in the 5th and 6th arrondissements you hear more US English than French these days) that it would be ridiculous if they turned them away from everywhere because they do not have a European QR Code.
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Today, my family was able to get our US CDC cards converted to a Pass Sanitaire at a pharmacy near Rambuteau. Pharmacist said she thought she could do it, asked us to leave our CDC cards and come back in an hour. When we came back, we were able to pick the cards and the printout with QR code attached.
It's a strange situation. You have to find a French pharmacist or doctor willing to vet your CDC card so that you can get a pass sanitaire in the Tous Anti Covid app? I presume the app is available in the US App Store or Google Play store?

Now there are articles published like this:

If you're traveling from the US, your CDC vaccination card won't be compatible with the French system. You can present your CDC card to enter France, of course, and once you're there the US embassy explains that you can present your CDC card to a pharmacy or medical facility and "any willing French doctor or pharmacist can enter the vaccination information in the French system". This will then generate a paper or digital (through the French Tous Anti Covid app) version of the health pass.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/article...s-for-tourists

I don't know what source they're quoting when they say "any willing French doctor or pharmacist." I would think it could disrupt their normal business if they're inundated with American tourists wanting them to issue a QR code from US CDC cards.

I guess we really won't know until a week into August.

We better hope other EU countries won't require a digital pass to get into restaurants. For one thing, pharmacies in other countries may not be tied into the covid testing system like the French pharmacies. For instance, pharmacies in Barcelona don't give antigen tests. They will sell you a home test kit but not do it themselves or issue some kind of certified test result.

It appears to be the same in Italy as well. I've emailed a couple of pharmacies in Verona, where I will be going in a couple of weeks and some of them will do antigen tests and some won't.

So I wouldn't expect to be able to get a digital pass in those countries from my CDC card.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by exp
It's a strange situation. You have to find a French pharmacist or doctor willing to vet your CDC card so that you can get a pass sanitaire in the Tous Anti Covid app? I presume the app is available in the US App Store or Google Play store?

I don't know what source they're quoting when they say "any willing French doctor or pharmacist." I would think it could disrupt their normal business if they're inundated with American tourists wanting them to issue a QR code from US CDC cards.

We better hope other EU countries won't require a digital pass to get into restaurants. For one thing, pharmacies in other countries may not be tied into the covid testing system like the French pharmacies. For instance, pharmacies in Barcelona don't give antigen tests. They will sell you a home test kit but not do it themselves or issue some kind of certified test result.

It appears to be the same in Italy as well. I've emailed a couple of pharmacies in Verona, where I will be going in a couple of weeks and some of them will do antigen tests and some won't.

So I wouldn't expect to be able to get a digital pass in those countries from my CDC card.
Requirements for any attractions with more than 50 people start today, so no need to wait until August. Unless someone is only going to France to eat, most will be affected before than. Looks like some places accept CDC card and others do not.

The French App links into the EU app, if you have a vaccination result loaded in the French one you will be able to push it to any of the other countries (I have looked at others countries to see if I could get the CDC card loaded into theirs, but no dice). Hence why it might be worth the hassle to try and get it loaded if you have any future plans of EU travel. The way things are going it looks like more and more countries will switch to a similar method, not less. Remember this issue with CDC cards affects an incredibly small number of people compared to the EU population that is covered and has no issue using this method. It sucks for us, but we are in a minuscule minority.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:45 am

We have now visited several pharmacies. This morning the pharmacist explained that we’d need to try a pharmacy that was providing vaccines and directed us to one. The pharmacist there said she couldn’t and I asked if it was possible? Her response: “maybe possible, but I don’t know how to it.” You will need to be fortunate to find one who either already knows or is willing to take extra effort to help out. OTOH we had no problem entering the Musée Orangerie with CDC card.
lobo411 and JojaFlyer like this.

Last edited by Channel28; Jul 21, 2021 at 10:33 am Reason: Grammer
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by exp

I’m not certain I’d have been able to get into the museum today with the CDC card.

App is definitely available in US App Store for iPhone.
Finding someone willing and able to do it will be a challenge for most tourists. We are fortunate in that we are fairly comfortable dealing with French bureaucracy (having lived here for many years) and having a fairly high tolerance for inconvenience.
estnet and lobo411 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:19 am

We went to 6 phamacies yesterday to try. They all turned us away with different levels of either indifference or lack of knowledge. We do speak French, so had no trouble explaining ourselves.

The Dali museum said they would accept our Quebec QR code proof, but on arrival they did not even check. We were going to visit the Catacombs, but yesterday they updated their site to say the Passe Sanitaire was the only accepted proof. So we skipped that, at 29 Euros a person it was an easy decision.

Luckily most of our trip will not need vaccine proof.
lobo411 and JojaFlyer like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I’m not certain I’d have been able to get into the museum today with the CDC card.

App is definitely available in US App Store for iPhone.
Finding someone willing and able to do it will be a challenge for most tourists. We are fortunate in that we are fairly comfortable dealing with French bureaucracy (having lived here for many years) and having a fairly high tolerance for inconvenience.
Was there something specific you said or did that you think helped the pharmacist? Or do you think you were just lucky? I'm guessing there's a "trick" to it that most pharmacists aren't aware of, so perhaps it would be possible for us to help the pharmacist if we know what it is.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
We were going to visit the Catacombs, but yesterday they updated their site to say the Passe Sanitaire was the only accepted proof.
Interesting... it sounds like the Eiffel Tower and Catacombs have explicitly made differing decisions here on accepting the CDC card?
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by david22
Interesting... it sounds like the Eiffel Tower and Catacombs have explicitly made differing decisions here on accepting the CDC card?

Well it is more global that that. We are from Quebec, Canada, and have a QR code and receipt for our vaccines. Those are also not acceptable, and are French. CDC is just the USA.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
An article from French newspaper « Libération », but in French (sorry anglophones)

https://t.co/ieGQ7JwqZJ
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
An article from French newspaper « Libération », but in French (sorry anglophones)

https://t.co/ieGQ7JwqZJ
That's promising! The key point here IMO is:

Le Quai d’Orsay insiste bien sur le fait que le pass sanitaire ne signifie pas forcément la présentation d’un QR code sur l’application TousAntiCovid : les touristes étrangers vaccinés avec un vaccin reconnu par l’UE n’ont pas besoin d’utiliser l’application française

Roughly translated, the French Foreign Minister is stressing the "pass sanitaire" does not need to be a QR code from the TousAntiCovid app; a CDC card (or equivalent) would also be considered an acceptable pass sanitaire. Hopefully this gets communicated clearly to establishments since it seems like there is already some confusion (i.e. Eiffel Tower vs. Catacombs) on what is acceptable proof of vaccination.
estnet, lobo411, chitink and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:08 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Are they actually looking at the QR code (printed or on a screen) or are they actually scanning it?

I think it will take a couple of weeks for these venues, especially private establishments like restaurants, to figure out what they're suppose to do and how they will execute.

For instance, are they prepared to turn away patrons? Typically you go and sit on an open table and they bring you the menu. Now do they have someone at the door that you have to go to request a table and they will vet your pass sanitaire, either the literal pass or pseudo pass sanitaire such as US CDC cards?
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Are they actually looking at the QR code (printed or on a screen) or are they actually scanning it?

I think it will take a couple of weeks for these venues, especially private establishments like restaurants, to figure out what they're suppose to do and how they will execute.

For instance, are they prepared to turn away patrons? Typically you go and sit on an open table and they bring you the menu. Now do they have someone at the door that you have to go to request a table and they will vet your pass sanitaire, either the literal pass or pseudo pass sanitaire such as US CDC cards?
QR codes are used all over the world and its a pretty simple scan and go. You just need the same software "app" on both ends to handshake. Many of the places I have been to have switched to QR codes for menus even.

Asking for ID is also pretty standard depending on the situation, this is not much different (any place with pre-paid tickets will ask for ID). I don't know why people seem to think this will somehow up-end a business. Scan and go, the app does the work. Green good, red bad. Move on to the next person.

I think it is pointless to speculate on if some restaurants want to break the law or not (I really doubt any major attractions will risk it). Will you call the place up and ask them if they are willing to break the law or just go on down the street and try place after place until you find a place that will let you in? I for one don't want to deal with such things and would be happy to follow the law as I am fully vaccinated.
Marambio and lobo411 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:45 pm

so where does that leave Montrealers----all booked up and ready to go in August--with Canadian Passports--Quebec QR Codes----non-existent "Vaccine Passports"--and CDC cards issued in Florida?-----------------------up the creek?------not even getting past CDG Customs----or not getting into any restaurants who follow the rules?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by dbarton
so where does that leave Montrealers----all booked up and ready to go in August--with Canadian Passports--Quebec QR Codes----non-existent "Vaccine Passports"--and CDC cards issued in Florida?-----------------------up the creek?------not even getting past CDG Customs----or not getting into any restaurants who follow the rules?
Hopefully by the time you arrive here things will be massively clearer, these changes are so new that nobody has caught up with the announcements.

We have been sticking with dining on terrasses, so nobody asks us anything. But I know for many museum are a major concern. Hopefully in a week or two things will be better organised for getting our QR codes recognised, or at least our proofs of vaccination.

On a good note, the city is quiet, only time you think of covid is inside places, otherwise things are very pleasant and uncrowded.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yes, the government keeps saying that they will have something in place by the time the pass is mandated everywhere (especially restaurants, travel, etc…)

Also, remember that a Quebec (or any other country/province/state) QR code is useless to them if they don’t have the ability to connect to your own health department backend system.

And to answer an earlier question, they will check your pass using their own reader (app) by scanning your phone or a printed copy of your France issued QR code. All it checks is that it is valid. They cannot see any personal info.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.