Reload this Page >

Paris in December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Looks like I may have made the right decision when I idly clicked the "pay in seven days" button for at least one of my TGV and SNCF reservations. I'm supposed to go from Paris to Lyon on the sixth, and Lyon-Annecy/Annecy-Paris on the tenth. The latter tickets are fully paid.

I have until Tuesday to pay for the first trip. I'd appreciate any advice from experienced FTers.
They will refund your ticket in the event the train is canceled. They usually know 48 hours ahead what the schedule is expected to be.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
This will be a problem. I won't be in Paris, but my kids will be home, though they will be here for a couple of days. They will be taking taxis and Uber. Hopefully things will settle down by the 29th.

Am not sure the Parisians will be supporting the strike if it goes on too long.

Hi Yahillwe! I take it you live in Paris? Were you there for the last strike? Do think it will even be possible to get taxis and Uber during the strike?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I was there during the last strike in September but I think this one may be a whole different animal. In September, only certain lines were shut down on each strike day so it was still possible to get around by RER and metro. Although I wasn’t aware of the strike when I flew in so I was caught a bit by surprise and had to figure out an alternate route on arrival at Gare du Nord from the RER. And yes, getting a taxi or Uber was just the same as normal. But if what the poster upthread said is true and it will be a complete shut down, I think it will be much, much messier than it was in September.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MorganB
They will refund your ticket in the event the train is canceled. They usually know 48 hours ahead what the schedule is expected to be.
Thanks. I've reserved a car, which was not just affordable but downright cheap: $92 for five days. It seems the rental market has changed since my last time!

I realized that if they end up keeping some services running, I may actually come out ahead. I'm booked into the Lyon airport because it was so much cheaper. Is it possible I could get re-booked to Lyon Part-Dieu?

On the other hand, I have to consider my ongoing travel: Lyon-Annecy-Paris on December 10th. I guess I'll have a much clearer view of the situation by December 8th or so.

Last edited by ajGoes; Nov 10, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Hi Yahillwe! I take it you live in Paris? Were you there for the last strike? Do think it will even be possible to get taxis and Uber during the strike?
Yes I live in Paris, but I wasn't here during the September strike, but I've had my share of strikes, even the one that lasted for month.

Taxis, Ubers, Le Cab, Kapitan, G7 and all kinds of transportation are and will be around.

They can't stop ALL public transportation but will have slow downs- the CGT and other Unions learnt their lesson- so avoid taking them during rush hours. And get the RATP app, very helpful.
MorganB likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:30 pm

I realized that if they end up keeping some services running, I may actually come out ahead. I'm booked into the Lyon airport because it was so much cheaper. Is it possible I could get re-booked to Lyon Part-Dieu?

On the other hand, I have to consider my ongoing travel: Lyon-Annecy-Paris on December 10th. I guess I'll have a much clearer view of the situation by December 8th or so.
Rebooking to Lyon Part-Dieu would be currently based on the fare you payed and if it has any flexibility because its a change to the original booking. If your train is canceled they would probably put you on a Lyon Part-Dieu train at no charge since its the same city. However rebooking can be a nightmare because you can imagine the crowds and chaos IF the SNCF really follows the strike. Unfortunately for all of us that have December plans its impossible to know until a couple of days before the strike .
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:32 pm

Yes I live in Paris, but I wasn't here during the September strike, but I've had my share of strikes, even the one that lasted for month.

Taxis, Ubers, Le Cab, Kapitan, G7 and all kinds of transportation are and will be around.

They can't stop ALL public transportation but will have slow downs- the CGT and other Unions learnt their lesson- so avoid taking them during rush hours. And get the RATP app, very helpful.
I guess my concern is gridlock and a lack of available Ubers and Taxis. I need to download the G7 app! Glad you mentioned G7. I have the RATP app already .
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:51 pm

If your train is canceled they would probably put you on a Lyon Part-Dieu train at no charge since its the same city. However rebooking can be a nightmare because you can imagine the crowds and chaos IF the SNCF really follows the strike.
So they don't have a way to relax change restrictions on line and in the app during "perturbations"? That's a shame. If they did, ticket-holders could re-book themselves like United Airlines passengers can during weather waivers.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I guess my concern is gridlock and a lack of available Ubers and Taxis. I need to download the G7 app! Glad you mentioned G7. I have the RATP app already .

Get Le Cab and Kapitan as well. I always use Le cab. And am sure they are getting ready for the strike. They will have more cars available. Prime time for them.

As for gridlock, with what the mayor is doing, we are always in gridlock. Always. She has reduced car lanes and increased the bike lanes. Use city mapper as well, it gives you shortcuts. Use all the transportation apps.

I reserve Le Cab for when I and family members leave and arrive.
MorganB likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:11 pm

Get Le Cab and Kapitan as well. I always use Le cab. And am sure they are getting ready for the strike. They will have more cars available. Prime time for them.

As for gridlock, with what the mayor is doing, we are always in gridlock. Always. She has reduced car lanes and increased the bike lanes. Use city mapper as well, it gives you shortcuts. Use all the transportation apps.

I reserve Le Cab for when I and family members leave and arrive.
Thanks again! Added Le Cab, G7 and Kapten. Good to know Le Cab Will be ready! One last question, I'm arriving by Eurostar so I assume they still have passport control at Gare du Nord? Would you happen to know long does it generally take to get through to the curb? Will help for pre-booking for my arrival.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:00 am

Thanks again! Added Le Cab, G7 and Kapten. Good to know Le Cab Will be ready! One last question, I'm arriving by Eurostar so I assume they still have passport control at Gare du Nord? Would you happen to know long does it generally take to get through to the curb? Will help for pre-booking for my arrival.
if you are coming from London on the Eurostar you will have gone through French immigration there. When the train stops at Paris, you just walk off.
ajGoes and MorganB like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Le cab you can always pre-book, I think with Uber as well. You will have done all the customs etc in London so you will end up walking out. I would pre-book NOW. You'll have to put in where you are coming from-Gare du Nord- train # and arrival time. They will send you how the cost, once you agree they will send you a text with the confirmation #. The normal meeting point for gare du nord is cafe du terminus (am not a fan of the place nor the area). And voila you are done.
MorganB likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good web site (that I use to check on manifs) is https://paris.demosphere.nethttp://w...is.paris.fr/en. And it tells you what areas they are at.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:38 pm

A good web site (that I use to check on manifs) is https://paris.demosphere.net. And it tells you what areas they are at.
Thanks for the link. I fixed it above.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link. I fixed it above.

Here it is better: https://paris.demosphere.net
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.