Paris in December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've spent Christmas week in Paris every year for the past five years and will do so again this December. I love it that time of year, with fewer tourists, festive lights and grand magasin window displays. There are always things to do on Christmas Day - I've gone to the movies and visited museums (a few are open Dec. 25th). As others have noted, weather is unpredictable but I never found it to be so cold or rainy that I wouldn't return. Perfect weather to relax in a nice bistro with some cassoulet and Cabernet.
The Pompidou Center is open on Christmas. What other museums?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
The Pompidou Center is open on Christmas. What other museums?
The Musée Jacquemart-André has always been open on Christmas. Atelier des Lumières will be open, they're selling tickets for December 25th. The Musée d'Art et d'histoire du Judaïsme and Institut du monde Arabe are also open that day.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:29 am

The Musée Jacquemart-André has always been open on Christmas. Atelier des Lumières will be open, they're selling tickets for December 25th. The Musée d'Art et d'histoire du Judaïsme and Institut du monde Arabe are also open that day.
Good to know-thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:31 am

This is an excellent thread. I was just looking at potentially booking a vacation there over Christmas.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I also love Paris in December. It can be fairly cold, particularly the closer you get to the river so look and forecasts and bundle up as needed. As others have mentioned it gets dark early BUT what you loose in daylight you gain in all the time you save by not having to stand in line with tourists everywhere as its not a popular time of year. The holiday spirit is noticeable and dare I say the French are almost cheery! Many restaurants will have holiday menus with lots of foie gras and champagne. The decorations and Christmas markets are enjoyable. Nothing like a hot spiced wine to stroll through the various markets on a cold evening. I will be heading to Paris this December myself.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I hope so, too! I arrive 24 December and depart the 30th. I'll contact you via What'sApp closer to the date and hopefully this time you'll return to Paris before I leave.

I will be back the night of the 29th, Breakfast the 30th? before you leave.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I was in Paris for the first time two christmases ago. No line to buy louvre tickets, no line to get in, no line to see mona lisa , my photo was wide and had no one else in it.

Had Christmas day lunch on the first floor Eiffel tower restaurant. Wanted to repeat with the second floor restaurant but they don't seem open christmas day.

Loved it so much, going back this christmas, have my da vinci tix booked and probably going to hit up the van gogh exhibit (10pm extended closing in dec) and the grand palais .
Goldorak and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ng1265
Not a bad time to go indeed, though avoid the champs-Elysees on Saturdays :-)
You meant "Avoid the Champs-Elysees at ALL times"
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I was in Paris for the first time two christmases ago. No line to buy louvre tickets, no line to get in, no line to see mona lisa , my photo was wide and had no one else in it.

Had Christmas day lunch on the first floor Eiffel tower restaurant. Wanted to repeat with the second floor restaurant but they don't seem open christmas day.

Loved it so much, going back this christmas, have my da vinci tix booked and probably going to hit up the van gogh exhibit (10pm extended closing in dec) and the grand palais .
Where is the Van Gogh exhibit? If you are talking about what I think you are, it really isn't an exhibit exhibit, but a super fantastic experience.

Reminds me I need to get tickets for my kids.

Love Paris during all the seasons, that is why am fortunate to live here.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAguy1979
You meant "Avoid the Champs-Elysees at ALL times"

The Champs will be nicely lit up, I would go there at night for the lights. But be very careful with the pickpockets, there are lots of them nowadays.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The Champs will be nicely lit up, I would go there at night for the lights. But be very careful with the pickpockets, there are lots of them nowadays.
Yes - I know it is pretty at night. But other than a quick view of the Arc in the distance, I struggle to find the appeal. Over-priced cafes, sub-par food, low quality stores, and throngs of poorly behaved tourists. There are so many more appealing parts of Paris with better character, food, and just as charming.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAguy1979
Yes - I know it is pretty at night. But other than a quick view of the Arc in the distance, I struggle to find the appeal. Over-priced cafes, sub-par food, low quality stores, and throngs of poorly behaved tourists. There are so many more appealing parts of Paris with better character, food, and just as charming.

We go there for the movies, but during Xmas and when the trees are all lit, it is beautiful. The street lighting will be Nov 20th.
Hoyaheel and Goldorak like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Looks like the French are planning a major transit strike beginning Dec 5th for an undetermined amount of time. This includes the RATP (subway/bus/suburban rail) and the SNCF (suburban rail and longer distance rail including Eurostar. They are claiming they will NOT maintain required minimum service as stated in union contracts. They are striking over government retirement reform and have said they will remain on strike until the government repeals the planned reform which the president has said is out of the question. I've been in Paris before when they are striking and it is annoying but you can still manage to get around. However the last strike over the same issue was in September and resulted in 10 subway lines being completely shut down. If that is the case in December its going to be a nightmare. I am going Dec 8th to 11th via Eurostar from London. My main concerns are actually having a train to take me to Paris, getting from the train station to my airbnb in Paris and then out to CDG for my return flight to the US. Once in the city I can use the automated lines 1 and 14 to get around and walk otherwise. Should be interesting.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MorganB
Looks like the French are planning a major transit strike beginning Dec 5th for an undetermined amount of time. This includes the RATP (subway/bus/suburban rail) and the SNCF (suburban rail and longer distance rail including Eurostar. They are claiming they will NOT maintain required minimum service as stated in union contracts. They are striking over government retirement reform and have said they will remain on strike until the government repeals the planned reform which the president has said is out of the question. I've been in Paris before when they are striking and it is annoying but you can still manage to get around. However the last strike over the same issue was in September and resulted in 10 subway lines being completely shut down. If that is the case in December its going to be a nightmare. I am going Dec 8th to 11th via Eurostar from London. My main concerns are actually having a train to take me to Paris, getting from the train station to my airbnb in Paris and then out to CDG for my return flight to the US. Once in the city I can use the automated lines 1 and 14 to get around and walk otherwise. Should be interesting.

This will be a problem. I won't be in Paris, but my kids will be home, though they will be here for a couple of days. They will be taking taxis and Uber. Hopefully things will settle down by the 29th.

Am not sure the Parisians will be supporting the strike if it goes on too long.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Looks like I may have made the right decision when I idly clicked the "pay in seven days" button for at least one of my TGV and SNCF reservations. I'm supposed to go from Paris to Lyon on the sixth, and Lyon-Annecy/Annecy-Paris on the tenth. The latter tickets are fully paid.

I have until Tuesday to pay for the first trip. I'd appreciate any advice from experienced FTers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.