Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris in December

Paris in December

Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Paris in December

Wife and I were looking to travel to Paris at some point in the near future, and we're seeing some great prices on flights in December. Almost too good to be true.

Is there a catch? Is Paris in December particularly bad for some reason?

I did see mentions that December is the wettest month for Paris, and since it's winter it'll be cold. We don't mind the cold at all, we'd like to avoid rain as much as possible. Would this be a problem in December?

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
Paris has an oceanic climate, so Nov-Apr is mostly gray and drizzle and not many sunshine hours. Think Vancouver or Seattle, but cooler. The days are short as well. The upshot is that there are lovely Christmas decorations and some markets, and stores are open on Sundays during the holiday sale season.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Weather is impossible to predict now. So you should be fine. This is a pleasant period for Christmas decoration as mlin32 said. And Paris is nice all the time
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Great time

Along with Spring and Summer visits, have visited Paris in December a couple times, most recently last year (2018) to ring in the new year, and loved it. Weather will be cool to cold, maybe some precipitation, but just pack your scarf and gloves and maybe a travel umbrella. It does get dark early but the glow of shop and street lights is cozy. And the holiday window displays at the department stores as well as the Christmas market vendors around town (Place de la Concorde and Abesses are favorites) are seasonal treats.
Was stranded for two days by weather several years ago and did a visit to Versailles to include the town along with the chateau, and it was simply wonderful. Still remember the sumptuous hot chocolate I had in a salon de th in "downtown" Versailles.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I spent a week in Paris last year in early December, and I much preferred it to my summer visit a few years back. I enjoyed the cooler weather, as it made walking around and exploring a lot easier - as mentioned above, just be sure to bring a scarf, gloves, and hat. There were far less crowds at most tourist attractions; I never had to wait to do anything.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Paris in December is not a bad time to go at all. There is a Christmas feel and Christmas markets dotted around (the market at La Defence is quite good). Less people around so you can actually enjoy the city and its sights. It will be quite cool but the last couple of years when I have gone over in December it was not raining at all so hopefully you will also avoid it
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: too many
Not a bad time to go indeed, though avoid the champs-Elysees on Saturdays :-)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only catch is not that many tourists.

Like London, Paris does a great job decorating for Christmas.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Only catch is not that many tourists..
How is that a "catch"? Heck, I try to plan my vacations FOR those times! ;-)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
How is that a "catch"? Heck, I try to plan my vacations FOR those times! ;-)
Obviously it was meant as a good thing.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Obviously it was meant as a good thing.
Must be a dialect issue; the word "catch" in American english would be a bad thing in the sentence structure you used.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I've spent Christmas week in Paris every year for the past five years and will do so again this December. I love it that time of year, with fewer tourists, festive lights and grand magasin window displays. There are always things to do on Christmas Day - I've gone to the movies and visited museums (a few are open Dec. 25th). As others have noted, weather is unpredictable but I never found it to be so cold or rainy that I wouldn't return. Perfect weather to relax in a nice bistro with some cassoulet and Cabernet.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Must be a dialect issue; the word "catch" in American english would be a bad thing in the sentence structure you used.
True. But in context of the OP's question it was more a playful use of the word.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've spent Christmas week in Paris every year for the past five years and will do so again this December. I love it that time of year, with fewer tourists, festive lights and grand magasin window displays. There are always things to do on Christmas Day - I've gone to the movies and visited museums (a few are open Dec. 25th). As others have noted, weather is unpredictable but I never found it to be so cold or rainy that I wouldn't return. Perfect weather to relax in a nice bistro with some cassoulet and Cabernet.

Hope to finally see you this year, BUT without the cassoulet... with the cab.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Hope to finally see you this year, BUT without the cassoulet... with the cab.
I hope so, too! I arrive 24 December and depart the 30th. I'll contact you via What'sApp closer to the date and hopefully this time you'll return to Paris before I leave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.