In a pickle--Connecting flight issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In a pickle--Connecting flight issue

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
United won't interline to another non-SA airline, so you would be correct.
Is that recent? They interlined my bag to British Airways last year.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You have pretty much no chance of making your planned itinerary. Separate tickets means that if you are late to your UA connection (it's actually not a connection but a completely separate flight) you will forfeit the entire itinerary. AF will not interline to UA on two tickets and you have left no room for any mistakes. Take an AF flight the night before and get a room at CDG. Anything else is playing with fire.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
They interlined my bag to British Airways last year.
On SEPARATE tickets
Old May 28, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Given that the Nice-Marseille rail line isn't high-speed, I don't think there's any way to take the train from Nice to CDG that morning. If you take the train the day before, I'd try to catch one of the Marseille-CDG TGV's in order to avoid lugging bags across Paris, as trains from the south arrive at Gare de Lyon which doesn't have direct service to CDG (AFAIK).

You could also take a direct TGV from Nice to Paris the night before, spend the night and then just head to CDG the next morning.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The easiest/best solution has been offered up thread - buy a new AF ticket from NCE to CDG (about €156). No need to waste hours on a lenghty train - the flight is 1 hour 35 minutes.

At CDG get a hotel like the Ibis - not the Ritz but fine for this purpose. Next morning, just hop on the
CDGVAL for the short ride to T1 and the United flight.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 29, 2016 at 3:26 am
Old May 28, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The easiest/best solution has been offered up thread - buy a new AF ticket from NCE to CDG (about €156). No need to waste hours on a lenghty train - the flight is 1 hour 35 minutes.

At CDG get a hotel like the Ibis - not the Ritz but fine for this purpose. Next nothing just hop on the
CDGVAL for the short ride to T1 and the United flight.
+1 for this. The stress alone is not worth it. You are pretty much gambling that the inbound flight will be delayed or that your outbound flight will be delayed in order for you to make it. I checked the inbound flight and the worst 7-day delay from EWR was 2 hours yet the CDG flight to SFO still took off on time. Maybe you'll be lucky as today's flight was delayed 40 minutes but the 7-day average is 2 minutes so I wouldn't take the chance.

One miss for UA's quote of 5k to you would be enough for me to activate some kind of insurance plan for that kind of risk/reward scenario if I were in that situation.

Regardless, please let us know if you decide to chance it and what the results were so that others may have the information.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:42 pm

FWIW the airport itself considers 75 minutes the minimum connection time for transfers between terminal 1 and 2 on one ticket. 80 minutes on two tickets with checked baggage involved..that's pretty crazy. No way I'd even attempt that.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
FWIW the airport itself considers 75 minutes the minimum connection time for transfers between terminal 1 and 2 on one ticket. 80 minutes on two tickets with checked baggage involved..that's pretty crazy. No way I'd even attempt that.
I wouldn't try 75 minutes on one ticket either unless I really didn't care whether I made the connection. On my last TATL from CDG, I spend about an hour and a half in the "priority/elite" lines for passport control and security.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by poppakap
If I can figure out how to dump a checked bag, maybe I'll have a chance without the luggage?
Get another flight or train ticket the night before. NCE-CDG is 50€ (+checked baggage fees) on A5. Trains run from Nice via Toulon and Marseille to Paris (intramuros).

Certain services run non-stop from Aix-en-Provence TGV to Paris (Gare de Lyon). In any case, it won't be possible to make it in the morning before the flight. Aix TGV - Paris (the high speed part) takes 2h58min. The Aix-Nice probably adds two (if not 3 hours) to the trip.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
If you take the train the day before, I'd try to catch one of the Marseille-CDG TGV's in order to avoid lugging bags across Paris, as trains from the south arrive at Gare de Lyon which doesn't have direct service to CDG (AFAIK).
According to voyages-sncf, there's a least one possibility to tage the TGV from Nice directly to CDG. It however includes changing trains in Avignon (time between both trains is around 50 minutes). Given how small TGV stations (outside big cities) are, it's just a matter of stepping of the train, walking down to the the machine that stamps your ticket and wait for the next train.

Anyhow, getting a TGV the morning of the flight will be impossible. Even with 200 mph, TGV need time to get to Paris. The MRS-NCE track is somewhat of a goat path slowing trains right down.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
In most cases, airlines will no longer check bags through to another carrier if the 2nd flight is not part of the same ticket as the first. Even if your bags were to make it, you would have a tough time yourself. Find out how much it would cost to change your AF flight to the night before - it would be well worth it.
Not sure what airline you're using but I've never had a problem checking bags through on separate tickets in different airlines.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Not sure what airline you're using but I've never had a problem checking bags through on separate tickets in different airlines.
OP:

Originally Posted by poppakap
I have these flights scheduled:
Air France
7:10--Departing Nice
8:45--Arriving Paris CDG

United
10:05--Departing Paris (CDG)
Is this recent?

Consensus seems to be airlines won't interline outside of alliance on separate tickets.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:23 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Welcome to FT, poppakap. Please continue this discussion in the France forum.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
The problem with checking luggage through on separate tickets, and I have never heard of any airline doing this, is determining where one airlineīs bag responsibility begins and where it ends?

If your bag is lost somewhere during the transfer, Airline A will simply say that your luggage made it to your ticketed destination and Airline B will simply say it was never checked in at its originating station. The luggage will not be associated with a common locator (connecting the two ticket numbers) and tracking it will be problematic if not impossible.

I wouldnīt recommend doing it even if you could find an airline to accept your luggage knowing that you were relying upon them to forward it to a second carrier. Without the benefit of your luggage being associated with a common locator number or PNR, itīs a dangerous idea.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
In most cases, airlines will no longer check bags through to another carrier if the 2nd flight is not part of the same ticket as the first. Even if your bags were to make it, you would have a tough time yourself. Find out how much it would cost to change your AF flight to the night before - it would be well worth it.
Just to verify a comment I made a couple of days ago. I checked bags with ANA and had them interline to United on a completely separate ticket. No problem. Both are *.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:50 pm

No problem. Both are *.
Yes, there have been reports of interlining within an alliance, especially for pax with status.

Outside of alliance, can't think of any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.