Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In a pickle--Connecting flight issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Outside of alliance, can't think of any.
There was no problem on KL/SQ/SQ (one ticket though).

AF/UA in CDG is probably not going to end terribly well.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WorldLux
There was no problem on KL/SQ/SQ (one ticket though).

AF/UA in CDG is probably not going to end terribly well.
Or Garuda to Swiss or other *A. But that's just another one of many exceptions. It isn't the rule that this always works, not even necessarily on one ticket.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Outside of alliance, can't think of any.
There are plenty, but it's becoming more and more like Russian roulette, especially from North America and Europe. Asia is usually no problem.
So it's better to consider that it will not work and plan accordingly.
It's really a pity, when you know that it takes 1 min to do for the check-in agent...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The easiest/best solution has been offered up thread - buy a new AF ticket from NCE to CDG (about €156). No need to waste hours on a lenghty train - the flight is 1 hour 35 minutes.

At CDG get a hotel like the Ibis - not the Ritz but fine for this purpose. Next morning, just hop on the
CDGVAL for the short ride to T1 and the United flight.
+2000000 for this.

The only thing that is predictable about CDG is its unpredictability. Sometimes the immigration lines are fast, sometimes terribly slow. Sometimes bags come out quickly, sometimes it takes forever.

I would put it at maximum 10% chance of your original itinerary working.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
FWIW the airport itself considers 75 minutes the minimum connection time for transfers between terminal 1 and 2 on one ticket. 80 minutes on two tickets with checked baggage involved..that's pretty crazy. No way I'd even attempt that.
80 minutes on two tickets, with or even without baggage, as a recommended minimum? That's just not possible. I've been nailed at CDG by the hard & fast 60 minute check-in rule, literally one minute late. That's not 60 minutes to the check-in line (unless they've got extra staff working the line, looking for people like you), that's 60 minutes to the counter.

If you were collecting checked luggage from the prior flight... tell me how it could be done. Luggage comes off the carousel between 12-20 minutes after the flight lands (a lot faster than it used to!), if everything goes right. Then you have to head to the other terminal on CDGVAL.

Agree with everyone else here that the transfer time is inadequate. UA is generally pretty good about taking care of passengers who miss flights, but you'll likely end up in a middle seat in the back of the bus.

Agree also that, despite my preference for rail travel within France, Nice to Paris isn't viable. On one of the few direct offerings, it's a 7 hour trip, and nothing would put you into CDG in time for your flight anyway.

Best plan is what others have suggested. Fly into CDG the night before and stay at the IBIS. Even then, we're talking CDG so unless you have elite status with UA, head out from the hotel 2.5 hours prior to flight time. The lines for non-elites can be horrendous. And remember that final security is actually at the gate, so you want to be at the gate an hour before flight.

Hope this helps, and that you've had (or will have) a great time in France!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
80 minutes on two tickets, with or even without baggage, as a recommended minimum?
No. The 80 minutes are the connection time that OP has "allowed" himself. First flight comes in at 8:45. Next flight leaves at 10:05.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by WorldLux
No. The 80 minutes are the connection time that OP has "allowed" himself. First flight comes in at 8:45. Next flight leaves at 10:05.
Got it; I parsed it out incorrectly, thinking the 80 minute example was from the airport. We're in complete agreement. Everyone here is. :-)

The 75 minutes terminal to terminal on one ticket though... that must assume you're already checked-in for the second flight. Is that always the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.