Search

Paris Air Show

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Paris Air Show

Hi All -

I'm going to be heading to Paris for my first trip and the focus of it will be a visit to the Paris Air Show.

Has anyone ever been to the Show and does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:42 pm

No Tips

it has been about 20 years since I went the last time. However, my husband and I are flying in on Friday, going to the Air Show Saturday and Sunday and flying out Monday...his birthday present this year
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:32 am
Suspended

I went a couple of years ago - to be honest I was a little underwhelmed. Not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about it all but I doubt I'd go again.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL FO, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I go to Paris for the airshow every other year for work. Leaving this week actually. I'm one of those people there in a suit doing business Mon-Thu. Generally, I try to avoid the public open days, but... I have ended up there a couple of times on Friday, the first public day, and would offer some notes:

1. Get a return ticket BEFORE you get there.
If you're staying awhile and using a passe or carnets, remember Le Bourget is in zone 3. It's a small station without enough machines, so have your return ticket on you so that you can avoid the lines.

2. Go as early as you can
Hopefully, you've got the actual show tickets in advance as the queues are usually long and painful. Le Bourget is not right next to the RER B station there. So they run shuttles to the facility. But they never have enough and they're always full. You can walk it, but it's about 20-30 minutes and not the simplest route (unless you can follow a crowd). Wear comfy shoes.

3. Bring an umbrella
It has rained on me the last three times I've gone for this event. Le Bourget gets pretty icky when it rains. So consider whether your comfy shoes will withstand water.

4. Bring some earplugs.
Once they get going on the flight displays, especially the jets, it gets LOUD. You could pay overpriced Euro for some on-site or just pack some.

Otherwise, bring a good camera. They've got some great stuff. Not sure what will be open to the public, but Boeing is finally bringing its 787. And Airbus flies the A380 in banking displays that will make your mouth drop open. Not sure if they're flying the F-22 this time, but if they are, make a point to see it.

Have fun
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I'm at the show as I write this - but in the reasonably comfortable surroundings of a chalet. It'll all start for real tomorrow.

Pretty much agree with dagnyt comments. Walking from the station is not that difficult though - there will be enough people walking that way. But it is always longer than I think. Train was blissfully quiet this morning - that will be different from tomorrow onwards as well.

Have fun
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:20 pm

I'm there every alternate year for work and leaving for there in a few hours!

BlackBerryAddict and dagnyt, do you know which gate the shuttle from LeBourget RER station is dropping off at this year? Supposed to meet a colleague who is coming in by road and we're trying to figure out the best place to meet since I have his trade visitor pass.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I'm there every alternate year for work and leaving for there in a few hours!

BlackBerryAddict and dagnyt, do you know which gate the shuttle from LeBourget RER station is dropping off at this year? Supposed to meet a colleague who is coming in by road and we're trying to figure out the best place to meet since I have his trade visitor pass.
I picked up the bus back yesterday at L3.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm leaving for CDG on Tues and the air show is the primary reason I'm making the journy this time of year. Have my grandstand ticket already - bought it months ago as soon as they opened up internet sales.

Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:59 pm

Have

the camera and binoculars ready. Have bought the tickets to get in as well. Just need to print them.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:33 am

I'm now back at the office in London. Spend the week in Paris going to the air show Sunday-Wednesday. The biggest problems were the rain and queues. The flying display wasn't all that impressive - I think Farnborough has a better one, at least during the trade days.

But it was very nice to meet B747-437B in person at the show - thank you for taking the trouble to visit us.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
But it was very nice to meet B747-437B in person at the show - thank you for taking the trouble to visit us.
Thank YOU for providing me shelter from the rain, and also introducing me to the contact to follow up with this week for what I hope shall be mutual benefit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.