Calamity Jane at Postal Musuem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Calamity Jane at Postal Musuem

When I was in Paris in January 2011, I came across a poster, which had details of a Calamity Jane exhibit at the Postal Museum--I went and it was fairly large, it took 4-5 floors. I went on a Friday afternoon and there were several people in attendance. What is the "lure" of Calamity Jane, especially for the French?
PS: For us Americans, she was a "wild west" frontierswoman who lived from 1852 to 1903, and was linked with Wild Bill Hickok.

Last edited by nrr; Jun 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and deadwood.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:27 pm

Can't say Calamity Jane in particular but the French have a fascination with the USAs Wild West and cowboys, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:09 pm
iff

Why that particular exhibit?

The trigger was the publication, after 10 painstaking years of research, of a book in French by French author Gregory Monro titled Calamity Jane, Memoirs de lOuest, and the post offices simultaneous issuance of a special collectors edition of a four-stamp carnet of Calamity Jane stamps.
There's more in the article here: http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/wi...t-comes-paris/
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, I was curious as to why she was chosen and its Postal Museum setting for the expo.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Can't say Calamity Jane in particular but the French have a fascination with the USAs Wild West and cowboys, etc.
But not as much as the Germans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.