Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Recommendations between CDG and La Defense

Recommendations between CDG and La Defense

Old Apr 14, 10, 4:18 am
  #1  
alc
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,514
Recommendations between CDG and La Defense

My wife and I along with a 3 year old will be in Paris in May. We will be staying at the Hilton La Defense. We have stay at this hotel in the past and always been using the RER to La Defense. But 2 years ago on our way back to the Airport, there were some train problem and stop at a station for over 30 min. Result is that we missed our Check-In time and have to pay $100 per person to change to the flight next day + an extra Hotel night. Since I have discover the wonderful of FlyerTalk and hence I was wondering if the group here have other recommendations for us travelling between CDG and La Defense - i.e. Shuttle Bus, Taxi, etc... One thing we never did like was a long walk from CDG T2 to the RER station. We will most likely going to have 1 Large (28"), 2 Small (20"), Stroller, a few small bags, and a Car Seat. (we are not renting in Paris, but we will at other cities after Paris)

Thanks in advance,

alc
alc is offline  
Old Apr 14, 10, 5:07 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 2,261
Originally Posted by alc View Post
My wife and I along with a 3 year old will be in Paris in May. We will be staying at the Hilton La Defense. We have stay at this hotel in the past and always been using the RER to La Defense. But 2 years ago on our way back to the Airport, there were some train problem and stop at a station for over 30 min. Result is that we missed our Check-In time and have to pay $100 per person to change to the flight next day + an extra Hotel night. Since I have discover the wonderful of FlyerTalk and hence I was wondering if the group here have other recommendations for us travelling between CDG and La Defense - i.e. Shuttle Bus, Taxi, etc... One thing we never did like was a long walk from CDG T2 to the RER station. We will most likely going to have 1 Large (28"), 2 Small (20"), Stroller, a few small bags, and a Car Seat. (we are not renting in Paris, but we will at other cities after Paris)

Thanks in advance,

alc


Take a taxi or the hotel's courtesy shuttle to Charles de Gaulle - Etoile, and catch a Air France's Les Cars to the airport. You can use Metro or RER to Charles de Gaulle - Etoile, but you know you won't want to do it with that many bags.

Since there are three people in your party, you might also want to consider taking taxi all the way to the airport. I think it will not cost more than EUR60 from La Defense to CDG, but I am not sure. Wonder if AF's bus offers child discount.

BTW, $100 was not too bad for changing the flight next day. Once my dad had to pay either EUR200 or USD200 for this at CDG after he missed his flight due to RER mishap.

Last edited by N227UA; Apr 14, 10 at 5:16 am
N227UA is offline  
Old Apr 14, 10, 6:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DCA
Posts: 960
The Taxi + Cars Air France or just Taxi plans will work and will avoid the RER, but they'll also subject you to road traffic which can be hectic at certain parts of the day. You'll still need to be careful that you leave enough time to get to the airport to not miss your check-in time.

For reference, I always leave central Paris 3 hours before an international flight to be sure I have enough time should something happen with the RER.

Neither method is infallible; instead, you're best to choose the preferable one and leave a good buffer in case traffic or unscheduled stops hinder your progress.

Peace.
imagineertobe is offline  
Old Apr 14, 10, 2:08 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ATL
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,061
Slightly OT, but can anyone venture a guess as to what a taxi would cost from Gare du Nord to La Defense on a weekend (in other words, with minimal traffic)?
Notenut is offline  
Old Apr 14, 10, 4:20 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DCA
Posts: 960
Originally Posted by Notenut View Post
Slightly OT, but can anyone venture a guess as to what a taxi would cost from Gare du Nord to La Defense on a weekend (in other words, with minimal traffic)?
I would plan for 20-30 (since Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse is usually 20 for me).
imagineertobe is offline  
Old Apr 15, 10, 7:32 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFOSJCOAK
Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 5,800
Might be a bit OT. How about move to an airport hotel the evening before your flight (assuming this would not screw up your existing booking). Think it might not be as easy to travel with a 3-year old and associated luggage in & out of taxi and bus. Metro is out of the question, I would think.
allset2travel is offline  
Old Apr 15, 10, 7:43 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,356
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Might be a bit OT. How about move to an airport hotel the evening before your flight (assuming this would not screw up your existing booking). Think it might not be as easy to travel with a 3-year old and associated luggage in & out of taxi and bus. Metro is out of the question, I would think.
that is something i do each and every time i travel to paris (and i'm a solo traveler ) as it makes life easier (plus you get a full night's sleep ). normally, it's the novotel but for my upcoming june trip i'm using hilton points but as allset2travel notes, still worth the thought to see if it's doable
goalie is offline  
Old Apr 15, 10, 8:09 pm
  #8  
alc
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,514
Thanks everyone for your input. Let like we will most likely go with TAXI to the Hotel. We will going other countries after the paris stop, but will remember about booking the hotel at the airport if we return from Paris next time.

Thanks,

alc
alc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread