Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: ROP G, QR G
Thanks again Bodory, I guess we will put that trip off until January than, which is equally fine for us .

What about Courchevel ? It made a sensation when the city got 6 hotels crowned with 5 stars this summer, out of 11 on the whole of France ?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Courchevel really is a great place. There are 4 separated "villages" in the resort.

Depending on your budget and the time you actually want to spend there, I would recommend either a catered chalet in "Les Granges" area of Moriond (Courchevel 1650) or a hotel in "Jardin Alpin" area of Courchevel 1850.

The first mentionned place probably is the quiestest and sunniest place of the whole resort, and has beautiful views to the mountain. Nevertheless, you would definitely need a car there because it is quite far from the shops of Moriond, and even further from 1850's luxury shops and other activities.

The latter will enable you to discover what Dior and Chanel at snow could look like. Be aware (or delighted) of Russian new year around the 10th of January.

Anyway, you should not be late in your reservation process because Courchevel is a quite busy place during winter.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I was an English assistant in Normandie during the 07-08 school year and made four weekend trips to the Alps, all using SNCF online specials (including two 30euro rd trip Fri/Sun sleeper tickets).

The first was to Bardonecchia, which is the first stop in Italy and also the host of the Torino Olympics snowboard events, via the Paris-Milan TGV (Artesia?). This was extremely easy to access and absolutely gorgeous. Tons of family run pizza places all around-loved this place.

The second was to Modane, to ski at Valfrejus and Aussois, via Lunea. Valfrejus was also beautiful, pretty high up from the valley that the train travels through. Very affordable, even by American standards even accounting for the exchange rate. Aussois faced the sun most of the day, which affected snow quality, and was also more family oriented. Also, got my empty ski bag stolen there..grr.

The third was to Les Arcs on an overnight TGV (NOT comfortable but only 15 euro each way, until I got to Montparnasse and realized the ticket windows close ridiculously early and I couldn't retrieve my ticket from the electronic kiosk with an American credit card and had to buy a brand new ticket). Les Arcs is amazing...soooo big. I stayed at this rather simple but friendly hostel populated entirely by British guys.

And the final trip was back to Modane to ski at Valcenis and then Val Thorens. This was getting closer to end of season and it was basically raining at Valcenis and it sucked. Val Thorens was gorgeous (helped that it wasn't precipitating at all) but quite overcrowded. We took the gondola up from Orelle and stayed on that side of the resort most of the day. It was less crowded, more in the sun, and had stunning views from the top

I definitely recommend Modane as a stopping off point, esp. since in the winter it has TGV and Lunea service (altho keep in mind that TGV's don't offer any speed advantage once you're in the mountains). There's a ton of places nearby, and they seem to be more affordable.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodory
I have planned to be there as usual on the first week end of December (opening week end), providing there is enough snow. Tickets to LYS are booked.
Obviously the snow is there.
Obviously I am not in Courchevel at that time because still at work...
Too bad ORY-CVF flights no longer exist.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:31 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Too bad ORY-CVF flights no longer exist.
These flights were great ! ^
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:53 am
Original Poster

So, did anyone make the first week end of the season in the 3 Valleys or elsewhere?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
These flights were great ! ^
I thought you guys mistook and meant CMF !!! Which was at least closer than LYS
I did not know ORY CVF flights did exist ? which airline? AF ?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:17 am

So, did anyone make the first week end of the season in the 3 Valleys or elsewhere?
NO...
Since i'm just back from South America, but i am already planning a week end in La Plagne for january.

Noyeux Joel !!!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
I thought you guys mistook and meant CMF !!! Which was at least closer than LYS
I did not know ORY CVF flights did exist ? which airline? AF ?
IIRC AF, with some prop planes on Friday evening.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:21 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
IIRC AF, with some prop planes on Friday evening.
Well, in my fuzzy memories, it was TAT in its yellow livery, possibly when it still meant Touraine Air Transport or after it was renamed Transport Aérien Transrégional, in any case, before it was bought by BA and Air Liberté (not sure in which order, though).

It was sad to see CVF upgraded for the 1992 Olympics and, at about the same time, the cancellation of most, if not all, scheduled flights to CVF. It is always nice to see flights arriving or departing, either from Moriond or when you're going down the Altiport track on your way to the centre of 1850.

Last edited by JOUY31; Dec 24, 2009 at 7:27 am
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Ah ok. I was refering to older flights. I think I have an AF poster dated from the 70's with all winter lines, including the ORY-CVF one.

When did TAT stop its CVF schedule?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Currently en route to CVF!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:00 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Currently en route to CVF!
Enjoy!
Send us a pix from there.
i will be heading to Haute Savoie on sunday, hope the snow is there.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Just arrived. Yes the snow is there!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Finally a great week end : empty resorts, good weather (despite forecast) and great snow. I have not seen so much snow since a long time. As it is still very cold, dump snow off-piste is also very good. In the resorts, all road except major ones are snow covered.

Also, it seems the Swiss-plated cars have replaced the English-plated coaches this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.