Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BWIflyerman
Thank you for this opportunity. Number 222.

Thank YOU!!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Number 223. Happy to loan to causes in Cambodia before an upcoming trip to Angkor.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
Number 223. Happy to loan to causes in Cambodia before an upcoming trip to Angkor.
Welcome!

And Cambodia has a special place in our heart around here too as giblet, a fellow FT'er, interned for Kiva in Cambodia last year.

Have an enjoyable trip.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
#224 here! I've been meaning to do this for a couple of years but I finally jumped in! Go FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome, new FlyerTalk Lending Team members on Kiva!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Yet another opportunity has presented itself, right here on FlyerTalk <link>.

onesweetworld has posted, in part:

Originally Posted by onesweetworld
Hello,

Thought I would reach out to the FlyerTalk community for this one. Me and a couple of my local mileage running buddies have entered this contest thru Contiki. If we win, we will get a all expense paid trip island hopping in Greece.

To vote, all you have to do is click the link below, and then click on the "like" button on our bus. Nothing else.

https://contiki.affinispace.com/inde...nes#bus-detail

I have been a Flyer Talk member for a few years now, and love the great community we have here. In part to my great experiences at the ChicagoDO last year with the $1,400 that we raised for Kiva, I thought that it might be good to give something back with this one too. So for every vote that we get, we are donating $10 to Kiva. If we win, we will give a total of $5,000 ($1,000 from each of the 5 team members).
You can click on the link in the quoted post above, look for the thick yellow bar at the top of the page stating VOTE FOR US!, click on the FaceBook-linked "thumbsup" logo to "Like" and - it's another vote, another $10 for Kiva.

In the meantime, I had some loans repaid, so with my seven new loans including my 227th, to Maria Elena Cajchum Tzic, a weaver in Totonicapán, Guatemala. We are up to 226 members making 3,323 loans totaling $104,775. (I spent some time in Guatemala and got to know a number of weavers - payback time! )

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 19, 2011 at 8:13 am Reason: spilchicken
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: Oneworld
Smile Good on you!

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yet another opportunity has presented itself, right here on FlyerTalk <link>.

onesweetworld has posted, in part:

You can click on the link in the quoted post above, look for the thick yellow bar at the top of the page stating VOTE FOR US!, click on the FaceBook-linked "thumbsup" logo to "Like" and - it's another vote, another $10 for Kiva.

In the meantime, I had some loans repaid, so with my seven new loans including my 227th, to Maria Elena Cajchum Tzic, a weaver in Totonicapán, Guatemala. We are up to 226 members making 3,323 loans totaling $104,775. (I spent some time in Guatemala and got to know a number of weavers - payback time! )
Beautiful use of the resources here and further proof this is truly a great place. You have my vote!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I just found out there's an FT Kiva team and joined immediately.

I have some 60 loans in my portfolio and so far nobody has defaulted ^

I love the concept of helping people help themselves.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jennifer Strbac
Beautiful use of the resources here and further proof this is truly a great place. You have my vote!
Couldn't have said it better. You have my vote, too - good luck!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately it only works if you a US resident
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Wot, you have to be a seppo to make this work?

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:27 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by Cholula
I just made my first loan to someone in the United States. They are a couple from Texas who are publishing a book and hope to use the publishing business to raise their five children.

Had not seen/noticed that loans could be made to folks in the US.
Yes, this seems to be new. Today I saw several loans in the category services within the US.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:28 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Just added 4 new loans to the flyertalk team balance
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
It will also work if you use a VPN based in the US. That is what I do when I want US domestic content.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Just added myself to the list.

BTW, the only reason I found out about this is seeing it on MilePoint.com. After all my years on FT, never found this area. Can something be done to increase visability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.