Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Gave a $25 giftcard as part of our grab-bag present giving, went down like a lead balloon... everybody just wanted something for themselves.

Quite sad to see really.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Gave a $25 giftcard as part of our grab-bag present giving, went down like a lead balloon... everybody just wanted something for themselves.

Quite sad to see really.
And sad to hear, Matt.

I had a long think about doing Kiva cards this Christmas with family & friends but opted instead to mark special occasions within the year like birthdays and anniversaries. Then later when everyone is more accustomed to receiving them and hopefully onboard with Kiva after they've been converted that disappointment factor won't be there. That's the hope & plan anyway.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:05 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Quite sad to see really.
Sad to see that. My MIL requested that rather than a present for her, we make a loan via Kiva, so that's what we did for Christmas, and will do for all holidays and birthdays for her.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
And sad to hear, Matt.

I had a long think about doing Kiva cards this Christmas with family & friends but opted instead to mark special occasions within the year like birthdays and anniversaries. Then later when everyone is more accustomed to receiving them and hopefully onboard with Kiva after they've been converted that disappointment factor won't be there. That's the hope & plan anyway.
Sad indeed. My wife and I gave good friends a Kiva gift card for the second year. In return, instead of their customary bottle of wine they gave a hive of honey bees in our honor. We found that sweet.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:55 am

99% of our presents are charitable gifts, to and from parents/in laws and just a couple of house related things for us between ourselves.

Whilst the rest of the family is in on the concept of giving some of our peer generation aren't down yet, its a shame as they are recent parents and those kids get tons of wasteful gifts (from us too) so are overloaded and would hope to see the wasteful nature of things.

However, it isn't my place to force my beliefs on them, hopefully with time they will come around to our way of thinking.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:51 am

99% of our presents are charitable gifts, to and from parents/in laws and just a couple of house related things for us between ourselves.

Whilst the rest of the family is in on the concept of giving some of our peer generation aren't down yet, its a shame as they are recent parents and those kids get tons of wasteful gifts (from us too) so are overloaded and would hope to see the wasteful nature of things.

However, it isn't my place to force my beliefs on them, hopefully with time they will come around to our way of thinking.
If the kids get tons of "wasteful gifts," why not give them a Kiva gift card or two, and tell them that you'll help them select their own loans, and that once the loans are repaid, they'll then have the cash to spend on whatever?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If the kids get tons of "wasteful gifts," why not give them a Kiva gift card or two, and tell them that you'll help them select their own loans, and that once the loans are repaid, they'll then have the cash to spend on whatever?
The kids are 11 months and 24 months old respectively- the bigger kids in their late 20's and 30's (parents) were less than impressed with a kiva gift card from me so they could pick their own loans...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:42 pm

The kids are 11 months and 24 months old respectively- the bigger kids in their late 20's and 30's (parents) were less than impressed with a kiva gift card from me so they could pick their own loans...
Ok, so in a few years...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
My 15th loan made yesterday. I only have a small amount of money in Kiva (about 3 loans worth), but I try to circulate it a lot!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:18 pm

Just made a loan to a group in Peru after returning from my trip there earlier this week. I wasn't part of the lending team at the time, but am now
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
My 15th loan made yesterday. I only have a small amount of money in Kiva (about 3 loans worth), but I try to circulate it a lot!
Woohoo! Congrats!

Originally Posted by aresay
Just made a loan to a group in Peru after returning from my trip there earlier this week. I wasn't part of the lending team at the time, but am now
Awesome! Welcome to the FT Kiva team, aresay!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:20 am

I attached my exisitng Kiva account to the flyertalk lending team.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome new members, and congratulations, Jenbel, on your loan!

Now that I am back and have accumulated some money from loan repayments, it's time for me to get with it and move that money back into circulation.

^Great idea, kipper!
Originally Posted by kipper
^
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:04 pm

Made my first loans in a long time. I'm hoping to make a loan to each country on the list! Kiva is cool.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by TheDream
Made my first loans in a long time. I'm hoping to make a loan to each country on the list! Kiva is cool.
Kiva is active in over 60 countries.
Here is a list I maintain:
http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...ry-list.19074/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.