Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 16, 16, 12:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.

Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it's 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:


Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 25, 12, 10:20 am
  #1036  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 963
Gave a $25 giftcard as part of our grab-bag present giving, went down like a lead balloon... everybody just wanted something for themselves.

Quite sad to see really.
brooklynmatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 12, 1:09 pm
  #1037  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 47,786
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
Gave a $25 giftcard as part of our grab-bag present giving, went down like a lead balloon... everybody just wanted something for themselves.

Quite sad to see really.
And sad to hear, Matt.

I had a long think about doing Kiva cards this Christmas with family & friends but opted instead to mark special occasions within the year like birthdays and anniversaries. Then later when everyone is more accustomed to receiving them and hopefully onboard with Kiva after they've been converted that disappointment factor won't be there. That's the hope & plan anyway.
tcook052 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 12, 10:05 pm
  #1038  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 35,090
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
Gave a $25 giftcard as part of our grab-bag present giving, went down like a lead balloon... everybody just wanted something for themselves.

Quite sad to see really.
Sad to see that. My MIL requested that rather than a present for her, we make a loan via Kiva, so that's what we did for Christmas, and will do for all holidays and birthdays for her.
kipper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 13, 8:31 am
  #1039  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Posts: 2,544
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
And sad to hear, Matt.

I had a long think about doing Kiva cards this Christmas with family & friends but opted instead to mark special occasions within the year like birthdays and anniversaries. Then later when everyone is more accustomed to receiving them and hopefully onboard with Kiva after they've been converted that disappointment factor won't be there. That's the hope & plan anyway.
Sad indeed. My wife and I gave good friends a Kiva gift card for the second year. In return, instead of their customary bottle of wine they gave a hive of honey bees in our honor. We found that sweet.
KyRoamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 13, 8:55 am
  #1040  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 963
99% of our presents are charitable gifts, to and from parents/in laws and just a couple of house related things for us between ourselves.

Whilst the rest of the family is in on the concept of giving some of our peer generation aren't down yet, its a shame as they are recent parents and those kids get tons of wasteful gifts (from us too) so are overloaded and would hope to see the wasteful nature of things.

However, it isn't my place to force my beliefs on them, hopefully with time they will come around to our way of thinking.
brooklynmatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 13, 11:51 am
  #1041  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 35,090
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
99% of our presents are charitable gifts, to and from parents/in laws and just a couple of house related things for us between ourselves.

Whilst the rest of the family is in on the concept of giving some of our peer generation aren't down yet, its a shame as they are recent parents and those kids get tons of wasteful gifts (from us too) so are overloaded and would hope to see the wasteful nature of things.

However, it isn't my place to force my beliefs on them, hopefully with time they will come around to our way of thinking.
If the kids get tons of "wasteful gifts," why not give them a Kiva gift card or two, and tell them that you'll help them select their own loans, and that once the loans are repaid, they'll then have the cash to spend on whatever?
kipper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 13, 2:19 pm
  #1042  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
If the kids get tons of "wasteful gifts," why not give them a Kiva gift card or two, and tell them that you'll help them select their own loans, and that once the loans are repaid, they'll then have the cash to spend on whatever?
The kids are 11 months and 24 months old respectively- the bigger kids in their late 20's and 30's (parents) were less than impressed with a kiva gift card from me so they could pick their own loans...
brooklynmatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 13, 2:42 pm
  #1043  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 35,090
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt View Post
The kids are 11 months and 24 months old respectively- the bigger kids in their late 20's and 30's (parents) were less than impressed with a kiva gift card from me so they could pick their own loans...
Ok, so in a few years...
kipper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 13, 7:40 am
  #1044  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
My 15th loan made yesterday. I only have a small amount of money in Kiva (about 3 loans worth), but I try to circulate it a lot!
Jenbel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 13, 1:18 pm
  #1045  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 186
Just made a loan to a group in Peru after returning from my trip there earlier this week. I wasn't part of the lending team at the time, but am now
aresay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 13, 7:13 pm
  #1046  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,674
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
My 15th loan made yesterday. I only have a small amount of money in Kiva (about 3 loans worth), but I try to circulate it a lot!
Woohoo! Congrats!

Originally Posted by aresay View Post
Just made a loan to a group in Peru after returning from my trip there earlier this week. I wasn't part of the lending team at the time, but am now
Awesome! Welcome to the FT Kiva team, aresay!
JY1024 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 13, 2:20 am
  #1047  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 186
I attached my exisitng Kiva account to the flyertalk lending team.
bridgeair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 13, 10:54 pm
  #1048  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 59,341
Welcome new members, and congratulations, Jenbel, on your loan!

Now that I am back and have accumulated some money from loan repayments, it's time for me to get with it and move that money back into circulation.

Great idea, kipper!
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
If the kids get tons of "wasteful gifts," why not give them a Kiva gift card or two, and tell them that you'll help them select their own loans, and that once the loans are repaid, they'll then have the cash to spend on whatever?
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 13, 9:04 pm
  #1049  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
Made my first loans in a long time. I'm hoping to make a loan to each country on the list! Kiva is cool.
TheDream is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 13, 9:13 pm
  #1050  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: mountains of western NC
Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Posts: 6,976
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
Made my first loans in a long time. I'm hoping to make a loan to each country on the list! Kiva is cool.
Kiva is active in over 60 countries.
Here is a list I maintain:
http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...ry-list.19074/
onthego15 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread