Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by onthego15
Anyone else want to share their preferences for making loans?
For me, with my wife coming from Africa, I tend to lend solely to African countries. I will choose most loans, except for personal housing expenses or some business that I just don't see prospering.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by onthego15
Well, I just made a loan to Estella Poaulina's beauty salon in South Sudan. Maybe she can do something with my hair.
I also made a loan to her, but as anyone who has ever seen me can attest, there is absolutely nothing she can do with my hair.

Originally Posted by Cholula
I tend to favor lending to women.
I just looked at my portfolio and noticed that 90% of my loans are to women. I wonder if that indicates any prejudice on my part.

There are a number of Arab countries, especially Syria and Lebanon -- and including Palestine -- where I won't make loans.

In several cases I wanted to, but I refrained from it out of fear that someone in these countries will notice my loan, see I come from Israel, and subject the borrower to a violent reaction.

Perhaps I am being overly careful, but I would rather not take that chance.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
And interestingly, my loans are rather the opposite. According to my Kiva stats, over 20% of my loans are in Arabic nations. This wasn't really intentional - I guess it just sort of happened.

I suppose that's why it's good to have a team - people like Dovster & me balance each other out.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:02 pm

All of my loans are in the food sector (and preferably street food), but the locations are all over the world.

I'm heading off for my Kiva fellowship in Cambodia in the morning. Thank you so much to the 6 Flyertalkers who sponsored my fellowship.

The support I have gotten from the FT community has been wonderful, and I really appreciate it. This is an amazing opportunity and I am glad to do it on your behalf.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by giblet
This is an amazing opportunity and I am glad to do it on your behalf.
Safe travels!

And please keep in touch with us.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Greetings from member 145. Glad to see that members on this site are helping this charity.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: Skyteam PE; at one point or another everything else
Was already part of Kiva but saw the TalkMail and joined the Flyertalk team. I try to do at least a few loans a year.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
I am an infrequent visitor to Flyer Talk (mostly when I am looking for information from your helpful board members).

Like many of you I have travelled to a lot of countries where I wondered what I could do to help the locals.

Thank you for reminding me that there is a way that I can (more or less) directly support local small entrepeneurs get a leg up (as opposed to a hand out).

I have just registered and joined the Flyertalkers team, and am now sorting out how to deposit some money.

Thanks again for including this in the newsletter and reminding me that I can make a difference is someone's life.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I have planned to begin lending through Kiva for some time, but have not done it. Finally, today, the FT email reminded me and I read an old post from JDiver. whose posts i always read with interest. I joined and lent my first thousand dollars today.

Thanks for goading me into action!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:59 pm

Count me in

I've signed up as well, and will make my first loan soon.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: aeroplan
i'd never heard of kiva until this flyertalk letter. thanks for opening my eyes; i've now signed and started recirculating some shekels to good use in less-advantaged parts of the world.
BTW i'm faintly embarrassed by my moniker--somewhat pretentious. i must've been suffering from major jetlag when i signed up. is there any way to change the name?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by stexupery
is there any way to change the name?

Yes.

Send a Private Message to Mikel at Webflyer, ask him to de-register your current handle and to e-mail you when it has been handled.

Then you can sign-up for a new handle. Your join date will be the day you do this and you'll lose your post count but you don't have a whole lot of those to lose.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for joining the FT Kiva Team!!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
So wonderful to see so many new FT KIVA lenders. Wow, we're at $44,000 already.

Welcome all!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:00 pm

Just joined the group! Hope we can all make a strong contribution as a team.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Just joined the team and made my first loan. I meant to do this a while ago but forgot, so I was glad to see the group featured in the TalkMail Newsletter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.