Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
It's been almost a year since I bumped this thread. You know what that means.
I've been asked not to donate. But I appreciate seeing this thread every time it is bumped!

One of you donors saved the life of my mother-in-law.

Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:03 pm

Donated 08/29/08 - last donation on 07/02/08 which confused the person reviewing my form since it says:

Have you donated in 8 weeks. I said yes. - Since it was within 8 weeks! (yes it was longer then 56 days but shorter then 8 weeks).

Also IN Blood Center discussed: With the automated process called double red cell donation, donors can give just red cells—but two units of red cells—and that’s the component of blood that is in the greatest demand.

Facts:

Donated plasma is replaced after 2-3 days.[50] Red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system at a slower rate, on average 36 days in healthy adult males.[51]

Stats:

Year to Date:
Credits: 2
Gallons: 2/8 th(s)

Lifetime to Date:
Credits: 15
Gallons: 1 & 7/8 th(s)

Eligibility:
Whole Blood: 10/24/2008
Platelets: 09/05/2008
Plasma: 10/24/2008
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I would like to donate but....

I have had skin cancer. Now, one of those skin cancers was surgically removed which does not eliminate me from donating but the other one was healed after prayer so since the Red Cross requires a surgical removal date when I try to donate, and I have none, I am eliminated (which makes me very sad).

According to my prior dermatalogist, who refuses to believe my scar is proof that I am healed, I am the only person who has never completed his referred treatment plan which was incredibly invasive, ie, surgically remove cartilage, reroute a vein, use skin from my lower back or hip for a graft, painful, and a 3 month healing period, etc. He keeps me infamous by keeping a red circle around my name in his former day planner (per his own word).

But, I encourage anyone to donate blood if eligible. ^
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i've been donating since 1976 and give every 8 weeks. my next donation is tomorrow (9/1) morning at 9am (and it also helps that the blood center is just a block from my apartment )
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:35 pm

I would avoid donated blood if at all possible, and if you have any planned surgery stock up on your own supply first.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by goalie
i've been donating since 1976 and give every 8 weeks. my next donation is tomorrow (9/1) morning at 9am
You're not suggesting that it's ok to have candy at that hour are you?

This thread is still going after almost 6 years. Giving blood is important. @:-)
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Originally Posted by goalie
i've been donating since 1976 and give every 8 weeks. my next donation is tomorrow (9/1) morning at 9am
You're not suggesting that it's ok to have candy at that hour are you?

This thread is still going after almost 6 years. Giving blood is important. @:-)
just got back.

no candy......donuts!

mmmmmm, donuts
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Just a reminder that the blood donation guidelines remain discriminatory and verfiably safe blood is turned away every day.

At least there haven't been any disingenuous pleas about desperate need for blood this time around.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by robb
Just a reminder that the blood donation guidelines remain discriminatory and verfiably safe blood is turned away every day.
It all comes back to this question: why can't a gay man who has been in a monogamous relationship for 10 years and has tested free of any disease give blood but a straight man who has had unprotected sex with someone within the last six months can give blood? The lack of logic is rather disturbing. They are either practicing rampant discrimination (by singling out gays) or exposing those that receive blood to more risk by allowing promiscuous heterosexuals to donate. Which is it?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I don't see how those are mutually exclusive.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Just gave a pint of O+.

I was going to post this while the donation was in progress but search and the BlackBerry didn't go so well together.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by JakiChan
It all comes back to this question: why can't a gay man who has been in a monogamous relationship for 10 years and has tested free of any disease give blood but a straight man who has had unprotected sex with someone within the last six months can give blood? The lack of logic is rather disturbing. They are either practicing rampant discrimination (by singling out gays) or exposing those that receive blood to more risk by allowing promiscuous heterosexuals to donate. Which is it?
It's certainly overt and inappropriate discrimination by singling out ALL gay people, even very low-risk ones.

It's also probably putting people at risk by choosing only a very limited number of straight people (sex workers and their customers, plus a few others) to exclude as higher risk.

OTOH, getting honest answers even to these limited questions are pretty bogus - my guess is that closeted men are both more likely to lie about it AND more likely to be positive and not know it. And what do you think the odds of occasional sex workers and or their customers answering honestly? Probably about the same as that of Clinton having answered honestly about the BJ...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
I wish I could donate, but there's a small chance I could turn into a mad cow in 10 or 20 years...

I lived in the U.K. back in the 90's and ate beef.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Gave blood yesterday morning at the blood drive at work.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
My daughter called me, or should I say texted me today to say she gave her first pint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.