Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm do. @:-)
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:07 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by dhammer53
When you give blood, you reduce your iron level. So by giving blood today, I was able to bring down my iron level.

I wouldn't even know that my iron level was high unless I gave blood, or went for a check-up.

The otherr way to know if you're iron level is high is by looking in the mirror. Is your face a little redder than normal? How about your ears? This is a warning sign.

A friend of mine had high iron and didn't know it. After he died, his entire family got tested. Several of them now give blood regularly to reduce their high level of iron in their blood.

Bottom line, give blood. It may save YOUR life.
A friend who has hemochromatosis (the condition where excess iron is absorbed and accumulates in the body) says that, once diagnosed, he cannot donate blood; he has to have blood removed periodically (the procedure is the same as blood donation), but the blood cannot be used for transfusions (not sure about research or other use). Presumably, they only want "altruistic" donors, rather than those who have other motivations to donate blood, since the latter people may lie on the questionnaire about disqualifying conditions (travel to malarial areas, etc.).

Due to differences in physiology and eating habits, men are much less likely than women to have low iron, but are much more likely than women to have iron overload.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:05 pm

Your blood type is: O+
Last Donation:
Date: 11/11/2009
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 201
Year to Date:
Credits: 5
Gallons: 5/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date:
Donations: 21
Gallons: 2 & 5/8 th(s)
Whole Blood: 01/06/2010
Platelets: 11/14/2009
Plasma: 12/09/2009
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Smile donated today

bp 98* over 60
pulse: 77

*yes a little low even for me as i average around 106-110 but i did not sleep well last night and "decided to wake up" at 3:30am
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Donated whole blood a few weeks ago on my birthday.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nkedel
Donated whole blood a few weeks ago on my birthday.
way to give something back ^
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by goalie
pulse
Good thing.

I haven't been to Omni since 1 Nov, just prior to my China trip. Glad to see that this post was bumped (without my prompting).
Thanks bowdenj.

d
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
our local hospital (UCSF) blood bank often gives xmas gifts to longtime donors

PLUS their phlebotomists are way more skilled than the local blood center...and t's 2 blocks from my house...and their donuts are fresher...all around it's a win-win...

still trying to get up the nerve to do apherisis....
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
PLUS their phlebotomists are way more skilled than the local blood center...and it's 2 blocks from my house...and their donuts are fresher...all around it's a win-win...

still trying to get up the nerve to do apherisis....
the blood center for me is also a 2 block walk and they usually offer movie passes (tho last nov/dec they added a free flu shot). my last time this past friday-bupkes
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Donated another lot of blood yesterday; dam it hurt; good thing I don't have to do that again for another year.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I really wish I could, being AB- makes it a little more pressing (nothing like having an operation a few years ago and being told that it would be a good idea to give blood so they had some 'on hand').

Alas, I lived the first 33 years of my life in the UK and that automatically excludes me, even though I haven't (yet) started acting like a mad cow.

- Tim
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:29 pm
Original Member

I'm excluded for a year now, since our Make-A-Wish trip to the Galapagos and Ecuador last year. But as soon as that time is up (June), I'll be right back to giving about once a quarter. I had always given, but having seen the need first hand (my son had about 20 transfusions, either whole blood or platelets) during treatment, now I've really got to pay it forward.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:49 pm

got my two month reminder e-mail on friday and donated today.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by timfountain
I really wish I could, being AB- makes it a little more pressing (nothing like having an operation a few years ago and being told that it would be a good idea to give blood so they had some 'on hand').

Alas, I lived the first 33 years of my life in the UK and that automatically excludes me, even though I haven't (yet) started acting like a mad cow.

- Tim
You and me are both in the same boat (or should that be "on the same farm?"). 23 years in the UK for me. Mooooo!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:07 am

Your blood type is: O+
Last Donation:
Date: 02/02/2010
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 186
Year to Date:
Credits: 1
Gallons: 1/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date:
Donations: 22
Gallons: 2 & 6/8 th(s)
Whole Blood: 03/30/2010
Platelets: NOW
Plasma: 03/02/2010

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.