Reload this Page >

GIVE FOR BOSTON - official charity is One Fund Boston; all ideas welcome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino have announced an authorised charity has been established to help victims of the Boston Marathon / Patriot Day terror bombing April 15, 2013. The charity, The One Fund Boston, will serve as a clearinghouse for charitable activities related to the bombing, and is administered by attorney Kenneth Feinberg, who also coordinated the victims fund for 9/11 Sep 2001 Victim Compensation Fun, as well as funds assisting victims of the Aurora, Colorado, and Virginia Tech shootings, and the 2010 BP Gulf Coast oil spill.
The One Fund Boston
site: http://onefundboston.org
inquiries to: [email protected]
To send a check by mail:
One Fund Boston, Inc.
800 Boylston Street #990009
Boston, MA 02199
Be aware over 100 bogus charities have registered using terms like "Boston Marathon" - The One Fund Boston is the only approved charity for the victims of 4/14 and is the one most properly positioned to do so.

NOTE: Member JDiver is offering a challenge and will match dollar for dollar, to $1,000, every dollar contributed by FT members. See Post #18 for details.
Print Wikipost

GIVE FOR BOSTON - official charity is One Fund Boston; all ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Erika Brannock, a teacher at my son's preschool was injured in the blast earlier this week. She'll be in the hospital for a little while and I imagine likely will have to go to intense rehab afterwards. I would love to be able to donate some hotel points to help her family accompany her in her recovery.... any idea how to do this?

FDW
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Erika Brannock, a teacher at my son's preschool was injured in the blast earlier this week. She'll be in the hospital for a little while and I imagine likely will have to go to intense rehab afterwards. I would love to be able to donate some hotel points to help her family accompany her in her recovery.... any idea how to do this?

FDW
If you want them to go to her family personally, you might want to contact her family and express an interest in donating points.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Kipper has a good idea; until we know if a legitimate charity or endeavour sponsored by an airline can handle this, I am supporting with dollars The One Fund Boston, which is explained in the wikipost to this thread.

I challenge FlyerTalk members to contribute to The One Fund Boston, and will match statements of donation in this thread or by PM made to The One Fund Boston to the amount of $1,000 in addition to my personal contributions.

Added later: End date May 30, 2013.

(At this time, my heart goes out to the people of Boston, including FT members affected; the families of MIT Officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, who lost his life last night in the events, and MBTA Officer Richard Donohue, 31, who was gravely injured.)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm Reason: add challenge end date
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
discussing specific moderator actions are liable to incur disciplinary actions as stated clearly in the TOS here.

JDiver
senior moderator
At the risk of discussing specific moderator actions, I want to thank moderator JDiver for his extremely generous offer:

I challenge FlyerTalk members to contribute to The One Fund Boston, and will match statements of donation in this thread or by PM made to The One Fund Boston to the amount of $1,000 in addition to my personal contributions.
Of course, as I always go out of my way to make life as difficult as possible for moderators, I immediately rushed and made a contribution to help make certain that JDiver has to fork out.

I saw no place on the form to link my contribution to FT in any way. How do I go about now letting him know how much I donated and using what e-mail address?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:56 am

Thanks for the donation, Dov, and for adding difficulty to my life . Just send that diver guy a PM to let him know.

Originally Posted by Dovster
At the risk of discussing specific moderator actions, I want to thank moderator JDiver for his extremely generous offer:

Of course, as I always go out of my way to make life as difficult as possible for moderators, I immediately rushed and made a contribution to help make certain that JDiver has to fork out.

I saw no place on the form to link my contribution to FT in any way. How do I go about now letting him know how much I donated and using what e-mail address?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:09 pm

Just send that diver guy a PM to let him know.
Done.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:22 pm

Toda raba, Dov. Rumour has it he got the message...

Originally Posted by Dovster
Done.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:32 pm

Toda raba, Dov. Rumour has it he got the message...
Bevakasha (whatever the heck that means.)
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:51 pm

Thanks JDiver! I gave $25.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:31 pm

Thanks! It all helps (well, not my wallet, but...)

Don't forget, fellow members: some employers will match your charitable contributions, leveraging your donation even further. (Not mine - I am self-employed and my boss is a total skinflint!)

Originally Posted by johnep1
Thanks JDiver! I gave $25.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:24 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Thanks! It all helps (well, not my wallet, but...)

Don't forget, fellow members: some employers will match your charitable contributions, leveraging your donation even further. (Not mine - I am self-employed and my boss is a total skinflint!)
Say one donates $25, and their employer will match that. Will you match the combined donation?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Maybe not donating miles thru the airlines... Rather, I have 50k southwest ill probably never use and could somehow use them to give award travel to families or personnel related to the trajety. Any thoughts on how to do that?

mm
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Kipper has a good idea; until we know if a legitimate charity or endeavour sponsored by an airline can handle this, I am supporting with dollars The One Fund Boston, which is explained in the wikipost to this thread.

Added later: End date May 30, 2013.

(At this time, my heart goes out to the people of Boston, including FT members affected; the families of MIT Officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, who lost his life last night in the events, and MBTA Officer Richard Donohue, 31, who was gravely injured.)
I love this kind of challenge. Just made a donation and will PM you details. Unfortunately my employer matched donations for Hurricane Sandy but not this tragedy
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:19 am

Sorry for the delay... I haven't done that in a while, but you can usually secure awards in anyone's name.

In the "old days" of WN certificates, I donated them to the local Shriners burn center - their office always knew of children confined to the burn center who had low-income parents who could not afford to fly up from wherever they lived to see their kids.

Unrelated to Boston Marathon, but perhaps if they have a burn center there, or perhaps contacting One Fund and inquiring...

And, Pinky, thanks! I received your PM, and I promise you the match will go through next month. Sorry about your employer's not participating, but... it's what it is and we will move forward.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Maybe not donating miles thru the airlines... Rather, I have 50k southwest ill probably never use and could somehow use them to give award travel to families or personnel related to the trajety. Any thoughts on how to do that?

mm

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 26, 2013 at 10:28 am
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Thanks!

Ill figure out how to do it when back from ftu do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.