Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

GIVE FOR BOSTON - official charity is One Fund Boston; all ideas welcome

GIVE FOR BOSTON - official charity is One Fund Boston; all ideas welcome

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 21, 13, 3:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino have announced an authorised charity has been established to help victims of the Boston Marathon / Patriot Day terror bombing April 15, 2013. The charity, The One Fund Boston, will serve as a clearinghouse for charitable activities related to the bombing, and is administered by attorney Kenneth Feinberg, who also coordinated the victims fund for 9/11 Sep 2001 Victim Compensation Fun, as well as funds assisting victims of the Aurora, Colorado, and Virginia Tech shootings, and the 2010 BP Gulf Coast oil spill.
The One Fund Boston
site: http://onefundboston.org
inquiries to: [email protected]
To send a check by mail:
One Fund Boston, Inc.
800 Boylston Street #990009
Boston, MA 02199
Be aware over 100 bogus charities have registered using terms like "Boston Marathon" - The One Fund Boston is the only approved charity for the victims of 4/14 and is the one most properly positioned to do so.

NOTE: Member JDiver is offering a challenge and will match dollar for dollar, to $1,000, every dollar contributed by FT members. See Post #18 for details.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Apr 19, 13, 7:36 am
  #16  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,322
Erika Brannock, a teacher at my son's preschool was injured in the blast earlier this week. She'll be in the hospital for a little while and I imagine likely will have to go to intense rehab afterwards. I would love to be able to donate some hotel points to help her family accompany her in her recovery.... any idea how to do this?

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 13, 9:18 am
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 36,586
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Erika Brannock, a teacher at my son's preschool was injured in the blast earlier this week. She'll be in the hospital for a little while and I imagine likely will have to go to intense rehab afterwards. I would love to be able to donate some hotel points to help her family accompany her in her recovery.... any idea how to do this?

FDW
If you want them to go to her family personally, you might want to contact her family and express an interest in donating points.
kipper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 13, 10:16 am
  #18  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,275
Kipper has a good idea; until we know if a legitimate charity or endeavour sponsored by an airline can handle this, I am supporting with dollars The One Fund Boston, which is explained in the wikipost to this thread.

I challenge FlyerTalk members to contribute to The One Fund Boston, and will match statements of donation in this thread or by PM made to The One Fund Boston to the amount of $1,000 in addition to my personal contributions.

Added later: End date May 30, 2013.

(At this time, my heart goes out to the people of Boston, including FT members affected; the families of MIT Officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, who lost his life last night in the events, and MBTA Officer Richard Donohue, 31, who was gravely injured.)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 22, 13 at 1:30 pm Reason: add challenge end date
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 13, 1:25 am
  #19  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 61,082
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
discussing specific moderator actions are liable to incur disciplinary actions as stated clearly in the TOS here.

JDiver
senior moderator
At the risk of discussing specific moderator actions, I want to thank moderator JDiver for his extremely generous offer:

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I challenge FlyerTalk members to contribute to The One Fund Boston, and will match statements of donation in this thread or by PM made to The One Fund Boston to the amount of $1,000 in addition to my personal contributions.
Of course, as I always go out of my way to make life as difficult as possible for moderators, I immediately rushed and made a contribution to help make certain that JDiver has to fork out.

I saw no place on the form to link my contribution to FT in any way. How do I go about now letting him know how much I donated and using what e-mail address?
Dovster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 13, 11:56 am
  #20  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,275
Thanks for the donation, Dov, and for adding difficulty to my life . Just send that diver guy a PM to let him know.

Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
At the risk of discussing specific moderator actions, I want to thank moderator JDiver for his extremely generous offer:

Of course, as I always go out of my way to make life as difficult as possible for moderators, I immediately rushed and made a contribution to help make certain that JDiver has to fork out.

I saw no place on the form to link my contribution to FT in any way. How do I go about now letting him know how much I donated and using what e-mail address?
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 13, 12:09 pm
  #21  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 61,082
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Just send that diver guy a PM to let him know.
Done.
Dovster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 13, 12:22 pm
  #22  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,275
Toda raba, Dov. Rumour has it he got the message...

Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
Done.
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 13, 12:32 pm
  #23  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 61,082
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Toda raba, Dov. Rumour has it he got the message...
Bevakasha (whatever the heck that means.)
Dovster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 13, 12:51 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4,802
Thanks JDiver! I gave $25.
johnep1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 13, 1:31 pm
  #25  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,275
Thanks! It all helps (well, not my wallet, but...)

Don't forget, fellow members: some employers will match your charitable contributions, leveraging your donation even further. (Not mine - I am self-employed and my boss is a total skinflint!)

Originally Posted by johnep1 View Post
Thanks JDiver! I gave $25.
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 13, 2:24 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 36,586
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Thanks! It all helps (well, not my wallet, but...)

Don't forget, fellow members: some employers will match your charitable contributions, leveraging your donation even further. (Not mine - I am self-employed and my boss is a total skinflint!)
Say one donates $25, and their employer will match that. Will you match the combined donation?
kipper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 13, 7:19 am
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,017
Maybe not donating miles thru the airlines... Rather, I have 50k southwest ill probably never use and could somehow use them to give award travel to families or personnel related to the trajety. Any thoughts on how to do that?

mm
Marathon Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 13, 1:20 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 563
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Kipper has a good idea; until we know if a legitimate charity or endeavour sponsored by an airline can handle this, I am supporting with dollars The One Fund Boston, which is explained in the wikipost to this thread.

I challenge FlyerTalk members to contribute to The One Fund Boston, and will match statements of donation in this thread or by PM made to The One Fund Boston to the amount of $1,000 in addition to my personal contributions.

Added later: End date May 30, 2013.

(At this time, my heart goes out to the people of Boston, including FT members affected; the families of MIT Officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville, who lost his life last night in the events, and MBTA Officer Richard Donohue, 31, who was gravely injured.)
I love this kind of challenge. Just made a donation and will PM you details. Unfortunately my employer matched donations for Hurricane Sandy but not this tragedy
Pinky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 13, 10:19 am
  #29  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,275
Sorry for the delay... I haven't done that in a while, but you can usually secure awards in anyone's name.

In the "old days" of WN certificates, I donated them to the local Shriners burn center - their office always knew of children confined to the burn center who had low-income parents who could not afford to fly up from wherever they lived to see their kids.

Unrelated to Boston Marathon, but perhaps if they have a burn center there, or perhaps contacting One Fund and inquiring...

And, Pinky, thanks! I received your PM, and I promise you the match will go through next month. Sorry about your employer's not participating, but... it's what it is and we will move forward.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Maybe not donating miles thru the airlines... Rather, I have 50k southwest ill probably never use and could somehow use them to give award travel to families or personnel related to the trajety. Any thoughts on how to do that?

mm

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 26, 13 at 10:28 am
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 13, 10:49 am
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,017
Thanks!

Ill figure out how to do it when back from ftu do
Marathon Man is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread