Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Nephoi
according to airliners.net "datamining" not only the flight to JFK is gone. ORD and SFO are down to zero till october. LAX till feb. JFK resumes in August.
It doesn't require any data mining. It has been communicated by AY in the form of the rotation list that ORD, SFO and LAX won't be returning until at least the current EOS in March 2021.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
It doesn't require any data mining. It has been communicated by AY in the form of the rotation list that ORD, SFO and LAX won't be returning until at least the current EOS in March 2021.
not all the infos in that specific thread we're published by airlines in pdfs on their homepages. and it wasnt collected this way. but i think this leads to far away from the topic of this thread
Old May 24, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Nephoi
not all the infos in that specific thread we're published by airlines in pdfs on their homepages. and it wasnt collected this way. but i think this leads to far away from the topic of this thread
Very much the contrary to being off-topic. The AY source regarding ORD, SFO and LAX (and in fact other longhaul route cancellations as well) was posted in this very thread previously.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Very much the contrary to being off-topic. The answer regarding ORD, SFO and LAX was posted in this very thread previously.
i think the way airliners.net gets its data is off-topic. not the cancellations
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am looking to FinnairPlus to see if there is any chance we can get clarity over the traffic plan for China.

PEK and PVG are not on the published list over destinations definitely cancelled until march 2021. Flights are in the system, bookable starting july.
However, after contact with a AY rep on facebook, I was given the info that PEK indeed was cancelled all the way until 2021 while PVG was still waiting for decision. I was also given the advice that Chinese destination are reachable via HKG, and indeed connections to mainland China is bookable with AY, connecting in HKG to CX/KA flights to those destinations where CX/KA is ramping up flights.

Now, the two issue are
a) China's stance of "five-ones", in short where each airline is only allowed to traffic one destination in China, and only once a week. The word in the Chinese expat community is that this policy is extended at least until October, and that non-Chinese carrier are banned entirely from traffic to China.

b) Transit rules of HKG have indeed been eased as of yesterday (june 1) - however this is still heavily limited, for example transit is only allowed with inbound and outbound flight operated by the same airline (group) eg. CX->KA.

This begs a lot of questions to which you may not have the answers or that you can't share publicly, but if any light can be shed on parts of these questions, it would be much appreciated:

For the a) issue
Does Finnair see opportunities to be allowed flights under the "five-ones" limitations and if so at what point in time? Which destination would be Finnair's choice then?
Or does Finnair have indications that the "five-ones" limitations might be lifted sooner and/or applied with fewer limitations to Finnair?

For the b) issue
Does Finnair have indications that a "phase 2" in the easing of transit limitations in HKG is in the works and that there is a date when connections would be allowed between e.g. oneworld carriers? ie actually allowing a Finnair flight to mainland via a legal connection in HKG on e.g. CX/KA. If so, is there any indications of when that might be?

Last edited by intuition; Jun 2, 2020 at 3:46 am
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I'd guess that PVG comes first, unless HO retains HEL-PVG, in which case AY codeshare to PVG, and AY metal to PEK?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: AY LUMO
XIY looks like deleted destination. No comeback in spring 2021.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I'd guess that PVG comes first, unless HO retains HEL-PVG, in which case AY codeshare to PVG, and AY metal to PEK?
Not even Juneyao knows where they are flying these days...

Still no clarity over the near future flightplan

Finnair posted at link on their Swedish facebook group today, promoting "the traffic plan for the summer", linking to a 15 day old BlueWings article that has little conformity with reality. Like, promoting summer flights to PEK, the destination the same FB page several days ago said was cancelled until S2021
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

The restart of AY101/102 seems to have been moved further out. First rotation now seems to be OCT24
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by intuition
The restart of AY101/102 seems to have been moved further out. First rotation now seems to be OCT24

Its following the new plan for 08/20-03/21, HKG 10 per week starting in November 2020.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Is that a published plan? I didn't find a formal traffic plan but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Is that a published plan? I didn't find a formal traffic plan but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough
I think OH-LGG was referring to this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32379582-post1635.html
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by florens
Exactly.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Yes - I’m booked on AY99/100 around mid-October and the reservation seems intact... Only one daily flight until the winter schedule kicks in.

But let’s see if it’s feasible to go that early... AFAIK, the quarantine requirements in HK are now extended as far as mid-September already.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

OK!

AY101/102 has had a published schedule earlier than that ( and IIRC somewhere in AY communication there has been talk about a quicker ramp-up than in that post) but perhaps it is true they always intended a slower ramp-up than was published.

Current published schedule for AY101/102 says daily starting OCT24, so the cancellations done a week ago (cancelling out AY101/102 in SEP and most of OCT) is not entirely in line with that post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.