Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel deals - finnish perspective

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Stay away from Sokoshotels. Terrible. Never again. I have stories one wouldn't believe can be true at a 100 eur/night hotel.

Hiltons in Helsinki are good, albeit all a bit worn down. Fiskis is generally awesome, but with stiff staff who treat old people with respect but have some problems serving younger guests. Strand is in need of renovation. Hilton Helsinki Airport has great staff and overall quite good. All treat Diamonds well in terms of upgrades. Going for HHonours Diamond is now easy, and I recommend it.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Stay away from Sokoshotels. Terrible. Never again. I have stories one wouldn't believe can be true at a 100 eur/night hotel.

Hiltons in Helsinki are good, albeit all a bit worn down. Fiskis is generally awesome, but with stiff staff who treat old people with respect but have some problems serving younger guests. Strand is in need of renovation. Hilton Helsinki Airport has great staff and overall quite good. All treat Diamonds well in terms of upgrades. Going for HHonours Diamond is now easy, and I recommend it.
See how experiences vary😁namely I have just an opposite treatments on all these😂
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
I'm not aware of any benefit other then some hotels offering a "gold bonus". - 50% on parking, 1 wine bottle, 1 liqour bottle, free breakfast, late/early checkin, or any random perk.
Yeah, it's quite random.. got a (very) late checkout + executive floor at a Hilton, then nothing at another Hilton, late checkout at a Four Points Sheraton, nothing at AC by Marriott. Can't quite figure it out. Sometimes they explicitly advertise that you get wine or something but I never bother with that, that has zero value for me.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FFlash
See how experiences vary😁namely I have just an opposite treatments on all these😂
Maybe its an age thing. Maybe its different for a whippersnapper staying at hotels where some staff didnt expect to see such young plebes as myself come in the door to stay, and so the treatment really covered a much wider range of initial interactions than has come to be the case in the years since?

I have noticed that upgrades at hotels in the Nordics seem better on accounts with non-Nordic addresses when it comes to Nordic-heavy hotels own hotel programs. And Ive also noticed the US hotel programs account with Nordic addresses tend to do somewhat better with upgrades than comparable accounts with US addresses. Not sure why it may have turned out that way, but maybe this is akin to when some airlines had reps who were more likely provide complimentary or IRROP upgrades to partner elites in economy than to their own.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
Google and you will fins the Avis president match page if it is still up. 15 days they will match you.
Now that was painless and in 1 week it went thru. Hotels.com Gold, howzat?
FFlash likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:03 am

Hi,
Is it possible to transfer Nordic Choice Hotels points to Finnair Plus or just the other way around? Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nordichoiceclub.com
As a Finnair Plus member you can convert Finnair Plus points into Nordic Choice Club bonus points!

Once you have earned just 23,000 Finnair Plus points you can convert them into Nordic Choice Club points.

23,000 Finnair Plus points = 7,500 Nordic Choice Club points
46,000 Finnair Plus points = 15,000 Nordic Choice Club points
92,000 Finnair Plus points = 30,000 Nordic Choice Club points
But from a quick look, I didn't see anything about transferring Nordic Choice Club points into Finnair points, and that was by looking quickly on Finnairshop.com and on nordicchoicehotels.com.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Never tried but if it works, hooray
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
No, it can't be done. The partnership is
A) AY-points can be transferred to Noric Choice
B) Points earned from NC stays can be credited to AY+ instead of crediting to NC program. No transfer of existing points.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:50 am

Ok, thanks! Is there any other hotel program that allows transfers to Finnair? (Besides Marriott)
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I think Accor ALL can be transferred to AY plus
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
I think Accor ALL can be transferred to AY plus
At least in theory. My conversion request from October, and a stay in October (I changed the settings so that points will automatically convert to AY+ after each stay) haven't shown up in my AY account.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Finnair

The transfer of existing points worked in 2019

But in pandemic times, loyalty programs apparently is observing "social distance" and must avoid contact with each other... Because nothing seems to work now.
I wouldn't do any kind of offline transfers these days, programs are not to be trusted anymore. I only do online transfers, ie where the transfer is done in real time and committed to both programs simultaneous. AY isn't even on the playfield.

BTW, the Accor-autotransfers worked perfectly in 2015 when I had it set up. Oh, those were the days. AY and Accor did some events and I was at a French wine and cheese meeting in Stockholm, on their tab. They tossed Platinums from both programs together and it was a very nice evening.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:06 am

Thanks for the update! Any other way to secure / transfer points to Finnair Plus? I am 4,000 points short of an intra-European upgrade. Have been waiting for a couple of Iberia flights (D) to post for almost 6 months but nothing. Have sent all the travel documents but Finnair says they are still waiting to hear back from Iberia. Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:40 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by mpkz
Yeah, it's quite random.. got a (very) late checkout + executive floor at a Hilton
For being a diamond member and having stayed at Hilton Helsinki Airport several dozen times... the minimum is a corner suite with sauna, and sometimes a larger family room with sauna, or a suite with sauna department. But anyway, the rooms in that venue are very decent also without upgrades. And the executive lounge continues to be very satisfactory even with opening hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.