Search

Hotel deals - finnish perspective

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Hotel deals - finnish perspective

Just opened a new thread for this since cound not find one that is related to:

Finland, collectively and related to most of folks on AY forum. Even though there are hotel forums separately but they are mostly global and any smaller corners such as AY regulars go lost easily there in the bigger noise.

okay, just 2 headsups now ongoing:

Nordic Choice hotels is offering speedytrack, 5 times count per night, i.e. you can get platinum by just 12 nights(cheapest are where?)

Hotels.com Gold by statumatch from Avis President (which can be gotten for free by SAS Gold if you have one)
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Buy Ibis Business - Get ALL Gold.
Match ALL Gold to BW Diamond - Scandinavia + Oulu covered.
Take one and go for HHonors status match challenge - you are good anywhere.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by on22cz
Buy Ibis Business - Get ALL Gold.
Match ALL Gold to BW Diamond - Scandinavia + Oulu covered.
Take one and go for HHonors status match challenge - you are good anywhere.
Good!

personally I jumped BW long ago as they are worse than scandic. Real motel dumps.

Accor also is so bad in my books I never thought about going that route even if I knew about the Ibis Business trick😁
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I had some OK BW properties (BW Premier brand) but definitely not my choice chain.

If I were only traveling in Finland/Scandinavia, probably I'd go the hotels.com route, as the big chains are very lacking outside the capitals (and even inside) and I think the 10% reward scheme is better than the separate frequent guest programs of Choice or BW (or Scandic)
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:02 am

BW has very nice properties in Scandinavia - add 125 kr Diamond voucher to their bar (sometimes nearby restaurant) in Sweden and Norway, and you have a very nice package with generally great breakfast buffet.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by on22cz
BW has very nice properties in Scandinavia - add 125 kr Diamond voucher to their bar (sometimes nearby restaurant) in Sweden and Norway, and you have a very nice package with generally great breakfast buffet.
So there was so much swedish travelers in Maledives that you thought it as Scandinavia?😉😉😉😉

I have travelled quite a bit in Sweden and Norway and I dont think there are good BWs, let alone in Finland(not Scan)
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by FFlash
Just opened a new thread for this since cound not find one that is related to:

Finland, collectively and related to most of folks on AY forum. Even though there are hotel forums separately but they are mostly global and any smaller corners such as AY regulars go lost easily there in the bigger noise.

okay, just 2 headsups now ongoing:

Nordic Choice hotels is offering speedytrack, 5 times count per night, i.e. you can get platinum by just 12 nights(cheapest are where?)

Hotels.com Gold by statumatch from Avis President (which can be gotten for free by SAS Gold if you have one)
The Nordic Choice offer seems to not exclude (sorry double negation) award nights as far as I can see in the smallprint?!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens
The Nordic Choice offer seems to not exclude (sorry double negation) award nights as far as I can see in the smallprint?!
really? I did not read the small print
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
?!
It talks about qualifying nights getting 5x, and award nights are not qualifying.
GUWonder and lento like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I misread, apologies.
FFlash and lento like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:09 pm

personally I jumped BW long ago as they are worse than scandic. Real motel dumps.
I had an interesting experience at BW in Örebro this summer. It looked as if no cleaning staff had entered the room after the previous guests left. The hotel was unstaffed and you had to call to BW in Karlstad to complain.
florens, intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:14 am

So there was so much swedish travelers in Maledives that you thought it as Scandinavia?😉😉😉😉

I have travelled quite a bit in Sweden and Norway and I dont think there are good BWs, let alone in Finland(not Scan)
I wish I was that far!
Finland has just 1 property in Oulu that's yet to be tested, but places like Gio, &, Time in Stockholm are very nice. Sweden is consistent in BW benefits, Norway is a bit of a fight, but I'd still pick it over Scandic if it's at comparable or better cost. It might be because I'm Mr. Nobody in Scandic Friends.

Originally Posted by Im a new user
I had an interesting experience at BW in Örebro this summer. It looked as if no cleaning staff had entered the room after the previous guests left. The hotel was unstaffed and you had to call to BW in Karlstad to complain.
This sounds very bad indeed. True motel experience comes in BW Kom Hotel Stockholm. Nej, tack. The optimist in me would say that I paid very little and got a bed and breakfast, so even this coin has two sides.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I have somehow had Scandic L2 for a few years, and I'm not dissatisfied. For a first tier, it is relatively easy to qualify for, and I don't dislike my catering voucher. Then again, my standards are obviously lower than FFlash's.

However, I still don't understand how Scandic Friends compute qualification and re-qualification tracking periods.

On a loosely related note, any clue what will/will not happen with IHG branded properties operated by Scandic in Suomi?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Courmisch
However, I still don't understand how Scandic Friends compute qualification and re-qualification tracking periods.
I don't either, I've had my account sit at 4 qualifying nights for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.