Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by GaryK84
No questions asked at check-in or the gate at LHR - and I had already been issued a digital boarding pass as well. I used my Finnish passport on this trip so it would then make sense that the testing requirements don't apply to Finnish citizens. I'd originally thought that it meant that you could travel to HEL but then you'd have to get tested - but it seems that I had misunderstood!
Things ended well in either case.
the Finnish passport was your golden ticket in this case.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ffay005
At MAD check-in, they insisted on me as a Finnish citizen to show them either my vaccination certificate or a covid test. It's sort of double-wrong as I don't need either, and if I needed one, the vaccination alone wouldn't be enough.

At ARN gate, they didn't seem to check anyone. But it could be, of course, that the ones I observed were all either Finnish citizens or had visited the check-in desk and got their docs OK'd.

I guess this is very much a YMMV situation, even more so than the usual YMMVs.
Same thing also happened to me at JFK few days back. Priority desk agent asked to show a PCR test result, which i replied that i don't have one nor need one. After a brief discussion agent agreed on asking a collague and suddenly it was okay to travel without any test result. Must be quite a task to keep up all the changing requirements etc...
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by GaryK84
No questions asked at check-in or the gate at LHR - and I had already been issued a digital boarding pass as well. I used my Finnish passport on this trip so it would then make sense that the testing requirements don't apply to Finnish citizens. I'd originally thought that it meant that you could travel to HEL but then you'd have to get tested - but it seems that I had misunderstood!
With a Finnish passport (or with some kind of proof of residence), at the moment:
  • Raja says you can get in.
  • THL says you should take a self-test within 24 hours of arrival.
  • FinEntry.fi claims that you must book a PCR test (but might not find you any available slot).

There are no test requirements. It's only recommended. That said, at 4€ per VAT-free test, following the recommendation won't break the bank.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:23 am

I read the thread but not definitive answer.

We bought tickets in October before new restrictions were applied. We have tickets MIA-HEL-ARN. We are Finnish citizens. At what point will they ask for the negative covid-19 test that is now demanded to travel to Sweden? Am I safe to assume that even if we have no tests to show at MIA we are allowed at least to travel to Finland? If they ask the test in HEL then there is no problem.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Runqee

We bought tickets in October before new restrictions were applied. We have tickets MIA-HEL-ARN. We are Finnish citizens. At what point will they ask for the negative covid-19 test that is now demanded to travel to Sweden? Am I safe to assume that even if we have no tests to show at MIA we are allowed at least to travel to Finland?
They should ask at MIA, but who knows. Sadly, if you don’t live in Sweden, you need officially even after the changes this week a negative test result.

The following categories are exempted from the entry ban and will be allowed to enter Sweden regardless of departure country, but need to bring a negative test if they do not reside in Sweden:

• Air passengers in transit.
https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...d-from-sweden/

EDIT: Maybe someone knows what TIMATIC says

Last edited by Jainzar; Jan 15, 2022 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
They should ask at MIA, but who knows. Sadly, if you don’t live in Sweden, you need officially even after the changes this week a negative test result.

EDIT: Maybe someone knows what TIMATIC says
I would assume that they can’t deny boarding because I am a Finnish citizen flying to Finland(aka Home) even if the final destination is Sweden (layover in Hel)
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: AY+Plat
I would assume that they can’t deny boarding because I am a Finnish citizen flying to Finland(aka Home) even if the final destination is Sweden (layover in Hel)
If it is a single ticket your assumption might not be correct. If they will deny or not is a different thing but they really can if you do not have documents required for your final destination.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by lento
If it is a single ticket your assumption might not be correct. If they will deny or not is a different thing but they really can if you do not have documents required for your final destination.
Good point. I’ll have to call Finnair and ask my options. We dont even have a qualified reason to go to Sweden what they now require. So even if we would have negative covid tests they could deny boarding for that reason..
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:02 am

Good point. I’ll have to call Finnair and ask my options. We dont even have a qualified reason to go to Sweden what they now require. So even if we would have negative covid tests they could deny boarding for that reason..
You should be ok to enter Sweden

From the previous police link:
Exemptions from the entry ban

Except for Swedish citizens, the following individuals or groups are exempted from the entry ban and are allowed to enter Sweden:
  • Citizens of another EEA state, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or the Vatican.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Please note that if you transit in an EEA* country and is processed for immigration there, your entry will be subject to the regulations for entry from EEA when entering Sweden, not your original departure country.
So say you go JFK-HEL-ARN. Would a US negative test be accepted?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Reading through it, there are no limitations in which country the test is taken, only when.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:30 pm

We bought tickets in October before new restrictions were applied. We have tickets MIA-HEL-ARN. We are Finnish citizens. At what point will they ask for the negative covid-19 test that is now demanded to travel to Sweden? Am I safe to assume that even if we have no tests to show at MIA we are allowed at least to travel to Finland? If they ask the test in HEL then there is no problem.
I flew MIA-JFK-HEL-LHR and they only needed to see my documentation related to my final destination as I was merely transiting in HEL. I actually took a COVID test in MIA the day before I left as a precaution and showed them that as well as my vaccination status.

Miami-Dade County PCR and Lateral flow tests are free if you book at https://www.miamidade.gov/global/ini...locations.page and use of the their drive-throughs....very quick with lateral-flow results within the hour and PCR within 24hrs.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Low loads this weekend.

ZRH-HEL half full A321
HEL-OSL 75% full A320
OSL-HEL 8 pax in E190
HEL-ZRH 16 pax in A319
FFlash, Teppo and strx like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mikeecix
I flew MIA-JFK-HEL-LHR and they only needed to see my documentation related to my final destination as I was merely transiting in HEL. I actually took a COVID test in MIA the day before I left as a precaution and showed them that as well as my vaccination status.

Miami-Dade County PCR and Lateral flow tests are free if you book at https://www.miamidade.gov/global/ini...locations.page and use of the their drive-throughs....very quick with lateral-flow results within the hour and PCR within 24hrs.
Provided OP’s insurance covers it.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Yes, it would (flew SAS a few days ago, and was able to upload the US test through their online document check platform and get approved before the flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.