Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by florens
I am confused.

I applied for a refund yesterday via the online form.

Now I get an e-mail that I have been rebooked.

Departure is on 27.03.2020.

I assumed that applying for refund = canceling ticket.

Do I need to do anything now?
Their IT is even more screwed up than usual. I had an ARN flight on 02APR, which I rescheduled yesterday. Today, I reveiced an email that the 02APR flight (which I'm not on anymore) is cancelled and that they cannot offer any reroute option (which is BS as they have in their system ARN flights on 02APR, I just checked).

So it seems those emails don't reflect the current situation, but are smoehow generated at one time and then sent out later. Which doesn't really make sense, but oh well.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
AY's explanation video doesn't say one need to cancel the booking if the flight is canceled by AY. However, not sure if this applies to bookings in which not all flights are canceled by AY.

Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
After 40 minutes wait got through to CS.

They canceled the ticket now and no need to fill another refund claim.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:40 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Except that they have zero chance to actively monitor anything like that. Sounds like empty threats to me.
The police just said that they, together with support from army, will stop/check all traffic/vehicles in/out of Uusimaa region, including smaller roads also.

Doesn’t exactly sound like they agree with zero chances.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
The police just said that they, together with support from army, will stop/check all traffic/vehicles in/out of Uusimaa region, including smaller roads also.

Doesn’t exactly sound like they agree with zero chances.
Yeah, they're trying. I might be wrong, but my guess is they'll keep it up for a few days, a week at most, and then it will be spot checks only or whatever. In the meanwhile, expect drugstore break-ins and other fun stuff to skyrocket in the metropolitan area while "all" cops are patrolling the roads leading out of Uusimaa.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:26 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Yeah, they're trying. I might be wrong, but my guess is they'll keep it up for a few days, a week at most, and then it will be spot checks only or whatever. In the meanwhile, expect drugstore break-ins and other fun stuff to skyrocket in the metropolitan area while "all" cops are patrolling the roads leading out of Uusimaa.
And raids to summer houses as they know people cannot come over in many weeks..
ffay005 and esledo like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
From the days of the Vietnam War: "We must destroy this village to liberate it" Too bad the girls in power haven't even heard of the Vietnam War.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
On the topic of drugstores it came to mind that this pandemia at least has one potential good side, stopping/reducing drug trafficing and use. Or then, they are always clever to create new ways.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
On the topic of drugstores it came to mind that this pandemia at least has one potential good side, stopping/reducing drug trafficing and use. Or then, they are always clever to create new ways.
Actually, the sudden difficulties in moving illegal stuff works like an supply chock - there have been reports of increased illegal activities because of gangs starting to attack each other to take control of the supply that remains.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
How could thieves not do that during weekdays already? I don't really follow the logic.

In my home country, 1 million people left the capital area to their secondary houses, family or whatever in the country side - or about 8% of the area population. As many potential virus vectors and overloaders for local healthcare.

Totally irresponsible.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Lucky not as we know in Finland we dont raid others summer houses but the breakins are done by baltic criminal cartels who cannot enter country nowadays so we are safe
or?
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Now my LHR-HEL (AY1348) has been officially cancelled and I received the automatic notification from BA by e-mail and SMS. I called the BAEC US number (toll free, that's why) and only had to wait a few minutes to get through as BAEC Gold. So all set for being isolated within the national borders for the foreseeable future. Somewhat odd these current times as an experience.

Taken there's no restaurant and pub fun in London for the time being, I hardly lost anything, except for the business related stuff I was supposed to attend, but which too probably will soon get cancelled. And the same dullness goes for my AY business class travel. A water bottle and sandwich would've been pretty dire.

As a sidenote: I'm currently somewhat considering going AY+, as BA dropping HEL seems to be permanent. That ruins my great intra-Europe redemptions. The upsides are getting more scarce now. Haven't yet calculated would my current AA, BA and AY bookings be even close to Platinum, since I wouldn't get any bonus. Now, a status match challenge would be an interesting move for us BAEC members, taken the native carrier connection is lost. Janica, got it?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Now, a status match challenge would be an interesting move for us BAEC members, taken the native carrier connection is lost. Janica, got it?
I actually suggested that they could consider this and got a very clear reply:

Originally Posted by Finnair Plus
Vastaus Status match kampanja -asiaan; oneworld -allianssin sisällä niitä ei ole ollenkaan.
(In English: There are no internal status match campaings at all within oneworld.)
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by esledo
(In English: There are no internal status match campaings at all within oneworld.)
So basically one would need to do the status match first to whatever alliance they will match to, and then back to OW.
ffay005 and esledo like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
From the days of the Vietnam War: "We must destroy this village to liberate it" Too bad the girls in power haven't even heard of the Vietnam War.
Aren't "the girls in power" just doing what "the boys in opposition" have been demanding for... Tough measures.

Last edited by Andaman; Mar 27, 2020 at 10:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.