Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Old Mar 7, 20, 12:54 am
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold

Now AY is also saying they’ll cancel lots of March short hauls due to drop in demand and having the free waiver in place further killed the loads.

SEVERAL EUROPEAN FLIGHTS CANCELLED ON 20-28 MARCH

6 March 2020

Due to the high volume of reservation changes and the overall impacts of the coronavirus situation on bookings in March, we are cancelling several European flights between 20-28 March, as on these flights the number of customers is low. We changed our ticket change rules for flights in March earlier this week and allowed customers to postpone their travel until 30 June, 2020. We are following the situation closely and will update any new information on this page. We are sorry for the inconvenience this situation causes you and do our best to minimize the effects to you.

You can check the list of cancelled flights here.

If you have a booking on any of the disrupted flights, we’ll contact you personally via SMS and/or e-mail. Please go to Manage bookingor Finnair App and check that we have your current contact information, so that we can reach you in a case of disruption.

You can choose from the following options, if your flight is cancelled
  1. We do our best to re-route you to your destination as soon as possible. As availability of alternative flights is limited, re-routing may take time. Thank you for your patience. After we’ve re-routed your journey, you can find your updated travel plan and other possible flight options via Manage booking. If you wish to make changes to your re-routing and choose a later date for your travel, if there is availability, please contact Finnair Customer Service or your travel agency.
  2. You can postpone your travel until 30 June, 2020 with no extra cost by contacting our customer service.
  3. You can apply for full refund for your unused flight ticket.
For further information, please contact our customer service. We are at your service also on Twitter @FinnAirHelps, in our Facebookpages and via chat on finnair.com. We are sorry that our customer service is currently congested.
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Has anyone so far changed dates for AY codeshares on other OW under any of the current waivers? It’s strange now as codeshares don’t seem to be under any of them. The operating carriers refer to the ticketing carrier and the ticketing carrier AY says they cannot do anything as it’s not their flight.

Crazy..
Old Mar 8, 20, 6:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
One example of why you should never book a codeshare... No one takes responsibility.
Old Mar 8, 20, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
One example of why you should never book a codeshare... No one takes responsibility.
True, in case of my routing to//from PHX//SEA the earnings on pure BA J ticket compared to AY codeshare would have been quite big...hence booked with AY..

But it is what it is, it’s only a plane ticket, not so serious..only frustrating AY doesn’t take any responsibility for stuff they happily sell.
esledo likes this.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Mar 8, 20 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 8, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
Well, in my case I offered them the chance to rebook me without a fee, and they refused because of the included domestic leg (which was “free” anyway as it is in the same fare rule).

Well, ended up cancelling and rebooking with 50% of the fare as they had opened really dirt cheap buckets and plenty of J upgrades are available. Sure, will have to pay cancellation fee, but AY will still have to refund me hundreds of bucks they could’ve kept if they had been accommodating and used some common sense.
Cupart, FFlash and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK *A Gold
Finnair has extended the period of changing flights:
free changing is now available for all bookings made before 30.4. and you can move the flights until the end of November (30.11.)
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
So they adopted the peace-of-mind-strategy, suggested by FT'ers erlier
This means you can now make also new bookings during March and April with peace of mind.
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Eurobonus silver (!), Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
I think AY IT can't keep up with all new policies...
I have one booking where this new policy is shown as a flash-message in red on top. "Make your changes here" says the text, but the link leads nowhere.
On another booking, there is no flash-message and no other means to alter booking inside MMB.
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:29 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Does fare difference to higher booking class apply when changing flights per the new policy? For example, if I were to book a dirt cheap HEL-CPH-HEL ticket for April, can I then change the dates to June when only Y is available because Finland is playing Denmark in EURO 2020?
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by deissi View Post
Does fare difference to higher booking class apply when changing flights per the new policy? For example, if I were to book a dirt cheap HEL-CPH-HEL ticket for April, can I then change the dates to June when only Y is available because Finland is playing Denmark in EURO 2020?
Unfortunately I think that Finland will NOT play against Denmark in Copenhagen in EURO 2020 this summer. High probability that EURO 2020 will be cancelled.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if OP checks the info page at finnair.com, it seems pretty clear that the new policy voids the "No change" rule and the change fee, not the fare difference.
While you can never know with 100% certainty until you call in and try, this policy is inline with what other airlines have offered.

Flexilibity to reservation changes for flights booked before 30 April

9 March 2020

Due to the current outbreak of coronavirus, we want to offer you flexibility for making reservation changes and have updated our ticket change policy. This means you can now make also new bookings during March and April with peace of mind.

You can change your travel date flexibly without a change fee and travel until 30 November, 2020, if
  • You made your booking latest on 30 April 2020.
  • Your original travel date is latest on 30 November 2020.
  • You have a Finnair operated and marketed flight on Finnair ticket.
  • There are available seats on your chosen new flight.
  • You make the change by 30 November 2020.
Please note that the change in the ticket rules doesn’t apply to Finnair Holidays, Aurinkomatkat (Suntours) and other tour operators’ customers. In case you would like to cancel your booking, refund will be according to the ticket rule.

This is how you can change your travel date
  • Go to Manage booking and select new available dates for your travel.
  • You can also contact our customer service. We are sorry that our customer service is currently congested.
  • If you have a group reservation, please contact your travel agency.
We are at your service also on Twitter @FinnairHelps, in our Facebook pages and via chat on finnair.com.

We are following the situation closely and will update any new information on this page. We are sorry for any inconvenience this situation causes you.

You can check your passenger rights here.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
And if OP checks the info page at finnair.com, it seems pretty clear that the new policy voids the "No change" rule and the change fee, not the fare difference.
While you can never know with 100% certainty until you call in and try, this policy is inline with what other airlines have offered.
At least for March flight waivers posted last week it was enough to have a free seat in travel class and no fare difference charged. Could be that this extended waiver is different as I believe it also affects new bookings made from today?
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse
My ZRH-HEL feeder flight, departing the week from next, has not been cancelled BUT downgraded to an E90 :-(

And YES, I'm no letting any popular and main-stream media going to dictate my life so I'm going no matter what...
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Furry View Post
At least for March flight waivers posted last week it was enough to have a free seat in travel class and no fare difference charged. Could be that this extended waiver is different as I believe it also affects new bookings made from today?
I believe so. This new waiver is general. It affects all bookings, new and old, on routes with or without any disruption. It is designed to make people feel safe to stay with AY. If they cancel a current booking, how likely is it they will come back to AY?

Also, this is the time for people to book summertrips. If people hesitate, the cancellations based on commercial reasons will continue for a long time. So new policy is also ment to get people to book now instead of wait and see.

Compare with eg SK, QR and many others that have introduced this fee-waiver for all bookings.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Are there still flight to SGN this season? The end of visa-free travel for Nordics (and the biggest EU countries) will presumably make it impossible for most ticketed passengers to fly...

Change waiver won't really cut if if there are no flights to change to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: