Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
"Preferred seats" in J, or that's what I suppose as the Finnish version says "suosittu paikka", are already marked on the seat map. The seats are a darker blue and with a dot in the middle. Checked a reservation for next November.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:09 pm

Found the new ticket types from Google, wanted to share them. I can't post the link as a new user but just google finnair "business classic" and see the first result.

The changes don't seem bad at all at least for a longhaul business traveller, they actually offer possibility for more points as I'll always need a checked luggage and will fly with Business Classic 200% or Flex 250%.
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by Halti
Found the new ticket types from Google, wanted to share them. I can't post the link as a new user but just google finnair "business classic" and see the first result.

The changes don't seem bad at all at least for a longhaul business traveller, they actually offer possibility for more points as I'll always need a checked luggage and will fly with Business Classic 200% or Flex 250%.
Here you go: https://fbta.net/wp-content/uploads/...utyypit-QA.pdf
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
We are 3 days from new ticket types sale start and nothing official out from AY.

Excellent communication.
Ed Size and esledo like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Why outbound I-Class is light 150%, but inbound I-Class is Classic 200%. Probably applies open jaws, not r/t.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Is there an english version of it? Do I see this right 0 luggage if traveling longhaul in business light?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
So this restores ValueClassic on flights to Japan, and introduces it to the transatlantic JV. For economy, the changes are positive. But of course, it depends on pricing too.
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Is there an english version of it? Do I see this right 0 luggage if traveling longhaul in business light?
0 checked-in bags in Light, regardless of cabin.

Finnair has made the ticket types orthogonal to the class of travel: if you look at any given row on the tables, it depends either on the cabin or the type but not both.

The only exceptions are Finnair Plus earnings and bag allowance, but you can still treat them like this:
  • Class:
    • 100% and 1+1 pieces for Economy
    • 200% and 2+2 pieces for Business (2xEconomy, except for the higher weight limit)
  • Type:
    • -50% for Light, removes the hold allowance
    • +/-0 for Classic
    • +50% for Flex

Last edited by Courmisch; Mar 27, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
0 checked-in bags in Light, regardless of cabin.

Finnair has made the ticket types orthogonal to the class of travel.
So I just wonder who gonna buy this business light tickets, specially the leisure traveler going to Asia need luggage - this only fit for business travelers going to Asia for a couple of days or mileage runners.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:06 am

So I just wonder who gonna buy this business light tickets, specially the leisure traveler going to Asia need luggage - this only fit for business travelers going to Asia for a couple of days or mileage runners.
I would assume that you can buy bag allowance separately. For business sale prices, that would make sense: if the price is the same as in Economy, it'll be small compared to the discount business fare. So I'd say this actually fits decently to the affluent tourists.

And of course, it fits executives on short business trips who won't need held bags.

Business mileage runners are actually the losers here, not because of the bag allowance, but because of the cut in earnings. But it's probably a tiny fraction of the market.

Last edited by Courmisch; Mar 28, 2020 at 12:11 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:41 am

I would assume that you can buy bag allowance separately. For business sale prices, that would make sense: if the price is the same as in Economy, it'll be small compared to the discount business fare. So I'd say this actually fits decently to the affluent tourists.
If the prices are lower then today (what I doubt) then this scenario would make sense (and would even attract me). At the moment my average ticket to BKK is somewhere between 1400€ and 1800€. If the ticket price would be max 1400€ with no luggage and 150% points we can talk about it, since I m buying roughly 12 - 16 tickets/pa - if its more in the 1800€ region it would be the same or even higher then competition - but they give double miles/points and luggage.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
...QR is on the way to leave OW as far as I understood so the points can only used with them......
Now that they are BFFs with AA, I really don't see that happening.
ffay005 and Ed Size like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
has this been officially announced by AY?

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that there is ANYONE AT AY So silly to think THIS IS THE TIME to do such a move!

this has to be my shortest courtship of a FFP 😂😂😂

essentially they cut the benefits and points of the lowest business class because well WE ALL KNOW they are not going to lower the price of the I fares in accordance 😆😂 we saw what happened with light fares in Y....

I was on track to get LUMO completed by summer, then this corona hit and obviously changed things, if this does take effect March 31, I really have to reconsider My options.

to be fair this is NOT the end of the world I will not loose sleep over it but I do have a feeling my days of hunting OW or Star status are limited, free agency is looking more likely for 2023...

so either I book 3 J tix now before 3/31 which isnt financially all that smart 😆😂 or I cancel 2 J tix now booked on AY and get a cash refund 😂😂

boy do I pick the perfect time to join FFPs 😁😁
Ed Size and DALtoAAL like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: AY Gold
So this restores ValueClassic on flights to Japan, and introduces it to the transatlantic JV. For economy, the changes are positive. But of course, it depends on pricing too.
I am not sure if this really changes anything for the JVs, as the fare rules table and booking class tables are both excluding the joint ventures. Things certainly could change, but I think there is not enough information to support that at this time.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Paid seat selection for Light and Classic business? Why learn the worst from BA?
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.