Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO

So AY's new ticket types will be introduced in March 2020 and available on 31MAR20.

What we get? Only things told now are that new types are Light, Classic and Flex and adding more types in Business Class.

So s it?

Light goes 25%
Classic is old Value and goes 50%
Flex 100%
New Business Class types 100 - 200%

?

Existing ticket types are sold until 30MAR20.

Last edited by OH-LGG; Feb 27, 2020 at 12:02 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
So AY's new ticket types will be introduced in March 2020 and available on 31MAR20.

What we get? Only things told now are that new types are Light, Classic and Flex and adding more types in Business Class.

So s it?

Light goes 25%
Flex 100%

?

Existing ticket types are sold until 30MAR20.
Is there any information about this? Or is this all speculation? Otherwise they need to find a way to get rid of all this Lumos and restrict the number of people who can use the PW.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Earnings are my speculation but new types and dates are real.

Change is coming.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: AY+
Any news related to renewal criteria as points will be much harder to get?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore

Change is coming.
My understanding from all the surveys they did in the past is that they want to find a way to sell everything as an extra - so in the future you maybe can book a J ticket with NO service at all - or you go for the "Deluxe" option - which incl. a BMW ride, champagne and blankets. (just kidding).

But it all sounded that they want to give you more options to buy extras (which means they strip down the service for the bare ticket).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

Change is coming.
One can only hope that you are wrong on the earnings...
OH-LGG, Ed Size, mhle and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: AY+Plat
So s it?
Light goes 25%
Flex 100%
Light 50%
Classic 100%
Flex 150%
Just my wish list. Otherwise either I need to start flying less of AY metal and more of other OW flights or change the FF program . Assuming that Flex pricing is similar to current Pro.
Ed Size, remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:08 am
Original Poster

I guess this current system is working for us customers.
For some reason it is not working for AY. And we know AY is after more money and less benefits so I'd say this March introducion is not going give anything for Plus customers but it will cut something.
esledo likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
If these proposed earnings changes go through, then flying OW carriers becomes more mile-efficient in many more cases than today, a bit of a weird incentive from AYs side. (of course they could slash earnings with OW as well, similarly to what SK did when they gutted EB)
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I seem to be a curse on FFP earnings as each time I switch they slash earnings soon after!!! looks like I will regret my my choice soon 😠😠😠
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Change is coming.
For some reason it is not working for AY. And we know AY is after more money and less benefits so I'd say this March introducion is not going give anything for Plus customers but it will cut something.
While I am usually a Debbie-downer on these topics, I am not sure about this speculation.

First, they need new ticket types as they are introducing Y+. So announcing new types is not primarily driven by a wish to cut benefits.
Secondly, they also need new types as the current scheme is falling apart. It was all invented before the big cartels came about, and we all know that the cartel leaders didn't care about AY ticket types, so the system immediately got pruned to only work on the few non-cartel destinations.

With that said, Y+ has to fit in somewhere in the earnings tables. But if Y+ pushes Y earnings down, then it is unlikely to also push J earnings down. It has to wedge in between them. If they build a system where Y earns up to 100% and J earns from 100% and up, then there will be a huge overlap when Y+ wedges in.

However, I do agree that Finnair is driven by their wish for ancillary revenue, and cares less about traditional revenue. Ie managers are likely praised for reaching a ancillary target and forgiven for not reaching the traditional target.
"Hey, ancillary is up! Good work, here is your bonus!"
"Hey, total revenue is down, but that is likely due to industry trend so no need to blame AY manager decisions"

Combined with what has been said to investors, I am pretty sure the new structure is focused on cutting benefits from tickets and selling them back, at a premium. And that this will apply to all class of service. So we are very likely to see a "J minus", which is not cheaper in terms of what you pay, it is just a really cheap product...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
First, they need new ticket types as they are introducing Y+..
Why need new types for PE ? PE tickets can be sold with booking codes and those letters are flexible between types like Z in current system can be Light or Value.

Which of these new types would be PE ticket?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Why need new types for PE ? PE tickets can be sold with booking codes and those letters are flexible between types like Z in current system can be Light or Value.

My guess is they will sell PE Light/Classic/Flex too. Points hopefully 100/125/150 %, but who knows.

What about tickets bought before 30MAR? Will they earn according to current tables?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat

I'm expecting we will see Light/Classic/Flex for each travel class, of course this could've been done too with Light/Value/Pro but it will be clearer this way.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
What about tickets bought before 30MAR? Will they earn according to current tables?
They follow current rules.
Steve_Hun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.