Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY ticket types from 31MAR20 . should we be worried ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by r2d2
Quite a gamble as you can't know for how long travel is going to be restricted.
I see this as an opportunity to buy relatively cheap tix for weekend trips (massturism) where it doesn’t really matter when I travel. It should be always possible to postpone the travel if this situation is still going when supposed to travel.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
OSL-BKK is (was?) 1200€ in J (see the relevant thread in the "Deals"section)
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by r2d2
Quite a gamble as you can't know for how long travel is going to be restricted.
The world economy will collapse if they'll keep this lockdown mode on for six months. Very very unlikely to happen.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
The prices ex-Norway in NOK are not at an unusually low level. Rather, Norway has been a cheap starting point for quite a while with AY. But NOK tanked during the corona/oil crisis and is now even more "pesetas" than the SEK, so expect more good deals if your income is in EUR/USD
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
The world economy will collapse if they'll keep this lockdown mode on for six months. Very very unlikely to happen.
6-months long confinement would ruin the world economy, but 6-months travel ban would not. Travel is about 10% of the world GDP, and presumably some of those 10% will be recovered in the year.

So if your plan is to spend weekends in the Schengen area, maybe that'll work. But I think long-distance travel will remain iffy until mass availability of vaccination - especially from/to areas with insufficient health care capacity.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Did AY release any material? Would be interesting to see.

So Business Class is now 150/200/250 % depending on route and ticket type?
Unless in the future Business Light (I) becomes much cheaper and Business Classic (R) will be in the same price level as Business Saver (I) previously, I think I'll be leaning towards other carriers when flying long haul. I'm not ready to pay as much as now for a much less, in terms of points accrual and service.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Gold
Eco flex (YBH) tickets lose free eco comfort / exit seat / legroom seat selection. Business light and classic advanced seat selection will be "for a fee" (and seems like there is differentiation for "preferred seats" also in business). Point upgrade to higher cabin will be "for a fee", whatever it means.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Antx
Point upgrade to higher cabin will be "for a fee", whatever it means.
I wouldn't read too much into these upgrade details at this point. I find it unlikely that they change the upgrade system in any way before the introduction of PE.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by lkrt
I wouldn't read too much into these upgrade details at this point. I find it unlikely that they change the upgrade system in any way before the introduction of PE.
PE related changes are reported to come in addition to these, later in 2020.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If these devaluation of the AY+ programme come true + the pricing of longhaul products get even higher ex-HEL as they are today here's the $64 question: what airline and FFP to go for mainly east-bound longhaul from 2021 onwards? TK? QR? LH group? I am too adicted to go agnostic!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Unless in the future Business Light (I) becomes much cheaper and Business Classic (R) will be in the same price level as Business Saver (I) previously, I think I'll be leaning towards other carriers when flying long haul. I'm not ready to pay as much as now for a much less, in terms of points accrual and service.
While I naturally don't like the points reduction, I don't think it will change the big picture. Golds and Plats are likely to get "preferred" J seats free of charge, service on the ground and in the air remains the same. If you fly QR/BA/whatever, you'll earn 125% whereas with AY Light fares you'll earn 187,5% as a Plat.

My guess is that Light fares will be on the same price level as the cheapest I fares are today. There's no incentive to decrease those prices; it's competition that decides the price level.

However, I also don't believe that many people will actually pay extra for J seat assignments. Those who travel even a few times a year will still receive a free seat assignment whereas those who travel for the first time in their lives don't even care.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If these devaluation of the AY+ programme come true + the pricing of longhaul products get even higher ex-HEL as they are today here's the $64 question: what airline and FFP to go for mainly east-bound longhaul from 2021 onwards? TK? QR? LH group? I am too adicted to go agnostic!
Good question, due to 2 flight cancelations I was rebooked to LH, both flights on the All-Business upper floor of an A380. Wasn't too bad and I have to say, that I miss LH F, the best value for any upgrade voucher or miles especially for a revenue J flyer IMO. LH also just improved M&M quite a bit, so Finnair shouldn't enhance AY+ too much...
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
When China started the lockdown in Wuhan, I believed that none of the Western democracies would do anything similar, but I was so wrong... Now my guess is that most of the countries will stay in lockdown until they have the situation with the virus in control. After they achieve that through hard work and a massive tragedy not seen since WW2, they are not going to ruin the results by opening borders. There will be mandatory quarantines when crossing borders, except between countries that trust each other enough to have the situation under control. Maybe pax who can prove to have achieved immunity are exempt from being quarantined.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
What do you mean? I just bought a ticket for BKK a few days ago. Flying in September. Now is the time to plan your autumn and winter trips.
Since I need to go to BKK as soon as possible, I can t wait till Sept., but anything before that could be risky since no one knows what the Thai goverment will do in the near future.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Since the LH group has two airlines with a pretty decent F cabin, for me it will be LH. QR is on the way to leave OW as far as I understood so the points can only used with them. And the J cabin is quite a gamble.....

I don t know much of TK though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.