Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, LH M&M SEN, airbaltic Executive, Radisson VIP
Very impressed! Got welcome chocolates, a quick tour today and the bar lady was very friendly.

SPBanker likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't really know what to think. Today started off with a megaslow security queue at T2 because the priority line had closed at 9 pm. The main line was full of people who had never seen an airplane before, so each and every item of make up had to be removed separately etc.

And the lounge. It turns out that à la carte is only available five hours a day, from noon until 5 pm. The buffet was not that different from the previous Premium Lounge buffet. The bar looked nice, but with only two bartenders, it was a slow affair.

Before the midnight wave, the lounge is by no means crowded, but it's not empty either, and most seats in the seating area behind the buffet are in groups of four. Not ideal for someone travelling alone.

So, I'm not overwhelmed. But this is definitely better than the terrible school cafeteria we had to endure for so long.
I second the viewpoint re solo traveller design. What happens, in lack of solo seats, is that people bring their stuff over to sofas and workplaces which is not good in terms of staining quickly the sofachairs (like it was past) or occupy workplaces frim others who would need to work (not me!)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Will have a chance to try it out this evening. Already bummed, that a la carte dining only runs until 5p.

I've been to MH F at LHR once, it was rather nice, but not on the level of CX F.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by juhanh
Will have a chance to try it out this evening. Already bummed, that a la carte dining only runs until 5p.
So besides the lackluster menu, the service hours are restricted as well. Not exactly great for e.g. departing to SIN. Meh!

Originally Posted by juhanh
I've been to MH F at LHR once, it was rather nice, but not on the level of CX F.
It's not an F lounge, rather a C lounge.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
So besides the lackluster menu, the service hours are restricted as well. Not exactly great for e.g. departing to SIN. Meh!

It's not an F lounge, rather a C lounge.
I believe you would agree that even MH F lounge at KUL would rank behind CX F at LHR. Despite being nicely designed, outcomes from the kitchen usually quite lack some quality (yet I still like my visits there). However, it's still much better than what they present on board. AY's in-flight meals beat MH safely, and I don't think PW will struggle at least equaling the MH's quality. The only downside remains the time restriction.
From another perspective, AY should attempt to compare with the best.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
I believe you would agree that even MH F lounge at KUL would rank behind CX F at LHR. Despite being nicely designed, outcomes from the kitchen usually quite lack some quality (yet I still like my visits there). However, it's still much better than what they present on board. AY's in-flight meals beat MH safely, and I don't think PW will struggle at least equaling the MH's quality. The only downside remains the time restriction.
From another perspective, AY should attempt to compare with the best.
Well, the sheer number - or lack in number, of menu options puts at least me off. Perhaps the quality is okay/great/decent, but it looks skimped in terms of options. Well, we shall see. I'll stop by there this week and try the menu. Will get to judge the quality. Thankfully will be there during table service hours. The bar looks promising, although doesn't seem to beat the gin selections of QF. However I do like the Finnish options as a local flavour.

As for me talking about MH, I didn't compare in-flight meals. Just mentioned the lounge at LHR T4 on a sidenote, when comparing OW lounges in Europe.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
So besides the lackluster menu, the service hours are restricted as well. Not exactly great for e.g. departing to SIN. Meh
The service hours were always restricted till 00:00AM and then they send you to the "Business Lounge", I guess they will keep the Lounge open till the last flight of the "day" is ready to board - as they did before.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
The service hours were always restricted till 00:00AM and then they send you to the "Business Lounge", I guess they will keep the Lounge open till the last flight of the "day" is ready to board - as they did before.
I'm talking about the table service, not the lounge.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:17 am

I'm talking about the table service, not the lounge.
Yeah that is not exactly great, as I said before specially if leaving late decent dinning in the lounge would be a real addition to the longhaul service, Since sometimes they need up to it takes really long till the service on board starts.
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Yeah that is not exactly great, as I said before specially if leaving late decent dinning in the lounge would be a real addition to the longhaul service, Since sometimes they need up to it takes really long till the service on board starts.
Indeed, which is why I used the late evening departure (11:55 PM/23:55 or abouts) to SIN as my example. Could see an added benefit for AY+ Plats/Lumos travelling in economy, wishing to have a lounge meal ahead of a flight like that. Could of course be some other longhaul departure as well, but I guess I'm such a SINner that from the top of my head that was the first example I could come up with, because I'm not a walking Encyclopædia Finnærica.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It's interesting that AY has 2–3 longhauls, several Russian flights and a handful of shorthauls departing at midnight, yet they don't see the need for Priority Security and full lounge service. The ghetto wave?

When the Premium Lounge opened, they had plated hot dishes that could be ordered at the bar, but you never knew when they were ready and you were supposed to either wait somewhere or get up from your table to go and pick them up (not knowing when, though). A couple of times, I suggested beepers (like Burger King or CX noodle bar). Then they changed the system and plated the dishes while you waited, so it was basically a non-self-service buffet.

Now, with the Platinum Wing, it sounds like they're trying plated hot dishes with table service, so basically it's the same concept as originally but they bring the plate to you, which of course is an improvement.

I wonder, though, whether this hybrid system (appetizer/salad buffet, dessert buffet, à la carte main course) is worth it. Somehow I feel that either a full à la carte service, CX F style, or a three course buffet service, would be more efficient.
vulle likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
It's interesting that AY has 2–3 longhauls, several Russian flights and a handful of shorthauls departing at midnight, yet they don't see the need for Priority Security and full lounge service. The ghetto wave?
The normal security is abandoned after 10pm. Hardly a soul.

I'd guess a large number of RUS and Asia destination pax are in transit, thus no need to pass security anyway.

Lounge is a different issue, though,
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG , BA Gold, HH Diamond

The J lounge is open now. Still a few tradies around.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The normal security is abandoned after 10pm. Hardly a soul.
Problem is, on Sunday night it was not only AY flights, but also QR and FZ. FZ pax were the ones causing delays at security (together with inefficient staff).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
The J lounge is open now. Still a few tradies around.
So this only took a few days? No Platinum Wing for AY Golds anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.