Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

No more soft block for OWE AND soft block for cash coming very soon? (perhaps?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more soft block for OWE AND soft block for cash coming very soon? (perhaps?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well...
Doesn't the term "seat block" actually imply that the seat is blocked and not selectable by another passenger? Give me all your future flight details and I will make sure your stats plummets...

After implementing the Altéa theoretical seating (which was done a year ago or so?) there is no seat block. There are settings and algorithms that controls which seats are selectable for any given other passenger. There are many parameters, including but not limited to, FF status. Sure, sometimes most or all pax are unable to select the seat next to you, and you may call it blocked.
As time passes, loads change and people/agents selects or changes seats making the cabin distribution look very different from what it did initially, the rules for what seats are "blocked" also changes. Suddenly, based on all these complex rules, the system decides it needs the seat next to you to fulfil all the rules given and your "blocked" seat is now open to anyone, even if the cabin might only be 50% full. At the same time, my "blocked" seat is perhaps released to the seatmap shown to other status pax but still unselectable for non-status pax.

As this is controlled by a complex rule set, your "luck" to experience a empty seat next to you is not at all luck. It is just that your way of buying tickets and selecting seats may fit better into the rule set than others. You are perhaps usually buying tickets at a point in time when changes in loads and seats are at a minimum and your "blocked" seat remains unselectable until departure control kicks in. You are maybe pre-selecting a seat where the middle seat is rather impopular by others or where the algorithm to balance the load decides it is bad place to seat more people.
You may be on routes where almost all pax are flying solo and the loads are such that every B seat can be empty. You may be on routes where very few people use and pay for ASR, and since departure control actually have seat block your buddy seat is always empty.

Last edited by intuition; Apr 27, 2017 at 1:59 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Well...
Doesn't the term "seat block" actually imply that the seat is blocked and not selectable by another passenger? Give me all your future flight details and I will make sure your stats plummets...

After implementing the Altéa theoretical seating (which was done a year ago or so?) there is no seat block. There are settings and algorithms that controls which seats are selectable for any given other passenger. There are many parameters, including but not limited to, FF status. Sure, sometimes most or all pax are unable to select the seat next to you, and you may call it blocked.
As time passes, loads change and people/agents selects or changes seats making the cabin distribution look very different from what it did initially, the rules for what seats are "blocked" also changes. Suddenly, based on all these complex rules, the system decides it needs the seat next to you to fulfil all the rules given and your "blocked" seat is now open to anyone, even if the cabin might only be 50% full. At the same time, my "blocked" seat is perhaps released to the seatmap shown to other status pax but still unselectable for non-status pax.

As this is controlled by a complex rule set, your "luck" to experience a empty seat next to you is not at all luck. It is just that your way of buying tickets and selecting seats may fit better into the rule set than others. You are perhaps usually buying tickets at a point in time when changes in loads and seats are at a minimum and your "blocked" seat remains unselectable until departure control kicks in. You are maybe pre-selecting a seat where the middle seat is rather impopular by others or where the algorithm to balance the load decides it is bad place to seat more people.
You may be on routes where almost all pax are flying solo and the loads are such that every B seat can be empty. You may be on routes where very few people use and pay for ASR, and since departure control actually have seat block your buddy seat is always empty.
I typically buy my ticket less than 48 hours to departure and basically always less than one week. Usually I select exit row aisle or window, so I would assume that B/E seats are also in high demand. On most flights loads are high or very high, it is not unusual that there are less than 5 seats free in the plane.

TBH I don't care much how it works, or is supposed to work. I just know that it seems to work quite well, at least for me.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: AY,CA,CZ
Well...

Do you happen to know which seats are last ones being accommodated based on load ? I.e. how to maximise chances ?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I have absolutely no insight - and I would be surprised if even people inside Finnair could tell you. You would need to know exact what settings Finnair made and exactly how the algorithms in the seating system workd.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
This is just the normal function of the Altéa seating. Algorithms control how people are seated. High valued customers are treated differently, but there are so many factors in play, you cannot not compare it to the simple logic of "platinum member
Would be interesting to know how they define this "high valued customers" and what the criterias really are. I just booked a flight without selecting seats on booking phase and was quite surprised to find the pre-assigned seats to be way back of the bus: row 30 and something on A321. We are two Plats, and hardly any other seats reserved on that flight. Without the black cards I'm afraid we really would have got 58Ö and thus ended up outsourced off the flight Changed it in MMB to the other end of the bus, just to save the FA some walking while delivering the newspapers for us
Old May 20, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Would be interesting to know how they define this "high valued customers" and what the criterias really are. I just booked a flight without selecting seats on booking phase and was quite surprised to find the pre-assigned seats to be way back of the bus: row 30 and something on A321. We are two Plats, and hardly any other seats reserved on that flight. Without the black cards I'm afraid we really would have got 58Ö and thus ended up outsourced off the flight Changed it in MMB to the other end of the bus, just to save the FA some walking while delivering the newspapers for us
Whenever I book a flight through corporate travel agent (SMT) and the agent doesn't choose the seats manually I always get 31F or something on A321. Of course every time change it to the front and it's not a big deal, but still funny that the system defaults that.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

IME they do follow the Window/Aisle preference given in AY+ profile, but apart from that it looks like there is not much of a HVC strategy?

However, the few times when I've been in Y and not been able to select seat, I have been assigned exit row. (Now this was an award ticket issued by CC so perhaps that was not an autoassign but an agent applying his/her personal HVC strategy!)
Old May 21, 2017, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Furry
Whenever I book a flight through corporate travel agent (SMT) and the agent doesn't choose the seats manually I always get 31F or something on A321. Of course every time change it to the front and it's not a big deal, but still funny that the system defaults that.
Just got seated in 31F too, so clearly row 31 is the HVC section!
Old May 21, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Maybe someone configured the plane as an ATR so that it gets filled from the back
Old May 22, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
For us it was 31 as well, B and C, very clearly 31 is the way to go from now on! I have aisle as prefence and the other Plat I'm travelling with has Window. Obviously Aisle-Plat is stonger than Window-Plat
Old May 22, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Hahaha... With my new CX booking for HEL-KUL, on the AY operated segments, I got very good seats assigned to me, too

31C for the HEL-AMS segment (A32B) and 33C for the LHR-HEL leg (A359).
Old May 22, 2017, 2:50 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Hah, our TA just booked me on AY181 and AY182 (HEL-DBV and back). On AY181 I am 33C (this is two rows BETTER than 31, right?), on AY182 3D (this is Y). Go figure?
Old May 22, 2017, 3:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by SPBanker
... 33C (this is two rows BETTER than 31, right?)...
Yes, 33 is a higher value!
(Either that or some really important people are already seated in 31!)
Old May 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
+31 here too.

Seems 31C is the new 58Ö
Old May 23, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
There's some magic in 31C. Just booked HEL-ARN-HEL and for some reason, I wasn't able to pick a seat on the return while doing the booking. On the outbound everything worked just fine but on the inbound it showed me a basically empty seat map, but nothing happened when I clicked on the seats. And guess which seat I got assigned to automatically when the confirmation email came? Right, 31C it is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.