Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by deissi
Did you try www.bookwithmatrix.com or telling Expedia that your preferred airline is Finnair? A second option is to try to book over the phone with AY, and ask them to waive the phone fee since it doesn't work on the website.
I tried calling them once but the computer just says "no" - lowest available class for direct USA-HEL flight is always B - also try explaining this thing to a level 1 CS rep...

Expedia can book without any problems with same price but the return TATL segment is IB/BA/AA coded (direct fight op by AY). Same price there if one chose the AY coded flight. Problem is not the availability on the flights, just the engine preventing to sell USA-HEL-EUR where EUR is +1 day from arrival of USA-HEL flight (but still less than 24 hours to stay with the lowest fare category and forces into "Flexible" which is B in this case). As even Expedia is not working it could be that the fare rules have changed from the past years, but it's not updated in the written text at all..

I will try to call again after the holidays on an office time if there would be someone more competent available on AY CS.

And to add I'm not looking for the cheapest ticket out there but would just like to get to same price point than adding the ARN trip plus MIA trip separately (+ some benefit is preferred ofc)..
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Any experiences from medium-sized Finnish airports, do they have priority check-in desks? KTT e.g. or is the same as any small airports (assuming all but HEL and perhaps OUL?) and status plays no role in check-in.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AY+
At least VAA has prio check-in but obviously no prio security. But not sure if it’s medium-size.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:57 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Any experiences from medium-sized Finnish airports, do they have priority check-in desks? KTT e.g. or is the same as any small airports (assuming all but HEL and perhaps OUL?) and status plays no role in check-in.
KTT had priority check-in at least in February 2019. OUL has it also.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Reportedly, in true Finnish way, OUL Priority line accepts anyone, because we wouldn't want to make those regular folks feel bad, right?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
TKU has both Economy and Priority desks. I don't know how well it is enforced as I've never seen a line when I needed them.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Jan 2, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Never any queue outside HEL. Why asking? Worried of charter hoards? If then, the Finnair checkin agents will stay there foe you until the last man in queue if needed, unlike Wizzair who simply cuts the line at checkin-close time and tells remaining pax ”sorry you are late”.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Schedule-optimisation purposes e.g. ability to avoid standing in the line and arrive airport as late as possible
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: AY platinum, SIXT platinum, IHG platinum
TMP has priority check-in desk, and typically when there's queue to the economy desk they serve same queue on both desks if there are no prio passengers on hand. Doesn't seem to be enforced strictly though.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Schedule-optimisation purposes e.g. ability to avoid standing in the line and arrive airport as late as possible
then you are good to go.
All tourists go min 1 hour before to the airport and are cleared already once you arrive last minute.
Savvy idiot tracks incoming aircraft on Flightradar24 and arrives only 20mins before departure to domestic small airport and finds checkin and security deserted and walks directly to gate open.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I leave home when status is GO TO GATE and sometimes BOARDING
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I leave home when status is GO TO GATE and sometimes BOARDING
How is this even possible? Have you asked Finavia if you could get one of those flight monitors to your living room
OH-LGG and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AY LUMO
You can do it when leaving like AY819 20:20 to ARN when HEL is quiet and no one there. Of course fastest route to HEL and parking lot must be known in advance and must know all walking routes in HEL.

When I was going to HAV last winter AY app showed "boarding started" when I was heading to the shower. But I had a good driver who took me direct to T2 quiet security and finally I had time in lounge for 1 GT and small salad.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Im sure this has been covered somewhere here previously, but as im real bad at using the search function, ill just ask.

HEL-NRT on JAL metal with AY code J class. Is it kilometer based 7849 x 200% or the normal AY J long haul 20k?

Also, is it worth trying JAL out on the route (i have only done domestic on JAL)?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Jorma
Im sure this has been covered somewhere here previously, but as im real bad at using the search function, ill just ask.

HEL-NRT on JAL metal with AY code J class. Is it kilometer based 7849 x 200% or the normal AY J long haul 20k?

Also, is it worth trying JAL out on the route (i have only done domestic on JAL)?
JAL has over 9000% better business class on HEL-NRT route. Only small cosmetic error is free wifi for emeralds.

Dunno about earnings, but even with 7849 it should be around the same (7849 vs 8000, rest of the multipliers are the same).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.