Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by TTL
PS. Forgot to mention that what might be lost in load factor is most certainly compensated in the domestic ticket prices. ...
Well, that is true.
But I was just thinking that because AY is short on narrow-body capacity (need to scale up feeding capacity for the growing longhaul fleet) that their choice is to axe some of the domestic capacity.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
As I have recently become AY Plat I have noticed that the difference to Gold is actually next to nothing (only two LH upgrades).

It would be a good idea, if AY Plats could get an AY Silver card for their spouses /partners. If I remember, SK has (had?) a similar offer.

That would already make a nice difference!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Justinus
It would be a good idea, if AY Plats could get an AY Silver card for their spouses /partners. If I remember, SK has (had?) a similar offer.
When getting Alitalia's Freccia Alata Plus (SkyTeam Elite Plus, AY Plat equivalent), I got also a Freccia Alata card to give away (SkyTeam Elite, AY Gold). Naturally I would appreciate a Gold card to give away better as my wife gets the silver easily by flying herself
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As I have recently become AY Plat I have noticed that the difference to Gold is actually next to nothing (only two LH upgrades).
This is one of my long standing gripes with AY+ program - there is very little extra for the platinum level. Sadly, it seems Finnair is treating the program as a 2 tier program. You can see in all communication they talk about Gold and Plat as the same level ("our top tier members").

Then this year started with crazy QR sale and now SK offers quick and cheap J flights to both NRT and HKG, I'm not going to fly any revenue AY for at least a year. With a good plat level they probably would have kept me "locked in", but it looks like my 8-year streak of platinum will be discontinued in 2017.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
My view is that if you fly mostly Finnair, and not that frequently to push it to the limit, and need only the "basics" = fast-track and lounge, then Silver is absolutely enough. Not even Gold is worth extra effort.
But then, I agree that going further, Platinum is not really a big extra on top of Gold UNLESS you really extract the benefits of it such as First Class lounge at some airports and the numerous "inofficial soft-perks" that Plats get. If those are beyond of your use/avail, then Gold is equal IMO.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I found Platinum is useful for the (unofficial) soft landing, due to my irregular year-on-year mileage...

I will probably exchange points this year to get back there, as the points value of the upgrade vouchers far exceeds the award points cost
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:47 am

By the way, how do other Oneworld airlines without First class fare with respect to Emerald benefits?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
That would certainly make Plat much more valuable! Plat could gift a Silver, at 250 or 300k a Gold or whatever.

SK - EBG gets 1 EBS to gift, EBD gets 1 EBG to gift
AZ - Alata Plus can gift Alata
BA - IIRC GGL can gift Silver/Gold (?)
etc, etc
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I will probably exchange points this year to get back there, as the points value of the upgrade vouchers far exceeds the award points cost
I'm starting to think points exchange, too, for getting to AY+ Gold tier.

If I'd make it to the Gold tier now would I get the upgrade vouchers now and a second set vouchers when the next membership year starts (1st of May)? What would be the expiration date of these vouchers? If the first set I'm expecting to receive will expire already in April this spring they would be difficult to use.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:24 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Getting the Gold today would give you 4 SH vouchers expiring 30. April, 2016. If you have flights booked after that date, the lifetime of the vouchers can be extended by spending them on those flights. On 1. May, 2016 you would get 4 more SH vouchers good until 30. April, 2017.

IMO it would be optimal to get the Gold right away, Plat asap before 30. April, 2016 and have a plentiful amount of flights booked in economy for the current year .
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Getting the Gold today would give you 4 SH vouchers expiring 30. April, 2016. If you have flights booked after that date, the lifetime of the vouchers can be extended by spending them on those flights. On 1. May, 2016 you would get 4 more SH vouchers good until 30. April, 2017.

IMO it would be optimal to get the Gold right away, Plat asap before 30. April, 2016 and have a plentiful amount of flights booked in economy for the current year .
LOL. That would be optimal for sure but don't have enough flights / pts for Plat.

Problem is that flights I've booked for this spring and next summer are all already in J, bought as business tix or confirmed points upgrades.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:39 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
The confirmed point upgrades can be released by calling to the AY plus, thus saving the points...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by TTL
The confirmed point upgrades can be released by calling to the AY plus, thus saving the points...
That I didn't know, thanks! Makes the decision easier
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Someone considering an exchange to Gold probably cannot make it to Platinum. First, you'd have to have at least 75k tier points. Then, you would have to exchange anywhere from 325k to 375k award points. Even then, it would brobably not be worth it.

As for me, I would find some use for the 4 SH vouchers, but unlikely for the 2 LH ones (exchanging Gold to Plat) before the end of the period (Mar 1). Or do I only get 2 LH vouchers in that case?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:42 am
TTL

Begin tracking year 1 (as pleb )

Become Gold - receive 4 SH vouchers good until end of tracking year 1, can be used for any future commercial bookings

Become Plat - receive 4 SH vouchers and 2 LH vouchers good until end of tracking year, can be used for any future commercial bookings

End tracking year 1
Begin tracking year 2 (as Plat) - receive 4 SH vouchers and 2 LH vouchers good until end of tracking year 2, can be used for any future commercial bookings

Get 200k tier points - receive additional vouchers good until end of tracking year 2, can be used for any future commercial bookings

End tracking year 2 (as Plat)...

Last edited by TTL; Jan 21, 2016 at 3:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.