Wiki Posts
Search

The problematic TLV schedule

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by intuition
Even northern Asia, like NRT, going via HEL is 10% longer than via IST. It is a geographically significant disadvantage AY wouldn't want to compete with.

You probably need something like this route to avoid 'hostile territories'.
Very funny. Hostile territories might not be an issue in your country, but they are so in the Middle East. Again for those preferring OW, AY could be a choice if the schedule was better.

I honestly don't understand why AY does have convenient schedules for some (if not all) purely leisure destinations, but fails to have the same to/from TLV which is one of the most important business centers in the Middle East.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Finnair only has so many planes. As already noted, leisure flights tend to use extra capacity at night. To fly a convenient schedule to/from TLV, Finnair would need one extra plane: like to/from MAD, the plane would fly to TLV during the evening, stay there for the night, and fly back the next morning.

Even if DOH, AUH and DXB are not options due to geopolitics, there are already connections possibilities through IST and SVO. Both are better located. I am not sure how many Israeli residents care about which country the plane will go over when doing the purchase decision.

FWIW, SIN-HEL flies over Afghanistan and Pakistan air spaces...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Finnair only has so many planes. As already noted, leisure flights tend to use extra capacity at night. To fly a convenient schedule to/from TLV, Finnair would need one extra plane: like to/from MAD, the plane would fly to TLV during the evening, stay there for the night, and fly back the next morning.

Even if DOH, AUH and DXB are not options due to geopolitics, there are already connections possibilities through IST and SVO. Both are better located. I am not sure how many Israeli residents care about which country the plane will go over when doing the purchase decision.

FWIW, SIN-HEL flies over Afghanistan and Pakistan air spaces...
Whether Israelis consider geopolitics relevant or not might be kind of irrelevant. At least majority of Finnair passengers to Asia are Asians and for them geopolitics are not as nearly relevant as for Israelis (immigration issues they face during emergency landing in Iran are not that different from Siberia, India etc due to strick local visa regulations) . Is there really enough high-yield local demand ?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by miikkak
Is there really enough high-yield local demand ?
Yes. We are here talking above all of air traffic between Japan/Korea/China and Israel. It would make no sense of flying from TLV to South Asia via HEL.

Some years ago both SK and DY started direct flights to TLV from CPH or ARN, so there is obviously high demand for such connections.

I guess as a business destination TLV is far more important for convenient connecting flights than Biarritz, Split, Dubrovnik etc. together.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Justinus
Some years ago both SK and DY started direct flights to TLV from CPH or ARN, so there is obviously high demand for such connections.
Norwegian caters primary for leisure travellers and SAS CPH-TLV route is three weekly with not that convenient schedules either. Definitely not timed for their Asian connections.

Also great circle routes from IST to East Asia don't go over very hostile territories even from Israeli point of view. Well, IST-NRT goes quite close to Eastern Ukraine but I hope they avoid that area for everybody. IST-BKK goes over Iran but anything more north should be fine unless you count whole central Asia as hostile territory.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:48 am

An interesting side-note.
In the BA Forum there is an interesting discussion whether one should have a BA or QR frequent flyer programme. The Flying pattern includes a couple of flights per year btw Indonesia and TLV via LHR. So this market exists albeit it might be a small one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.