Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
On ARN flights, a cold sandwich with beverages is served. On all other SH flights, the service includes "a hot main meal, something sweet and beverages".

Beverages include sparkling wine (Bernard-Massard Cuvée de l'Ecusson), white wine, red wine, beer, cognac, whiskey, vodka, cream liquor and soft drinks.

Iberia-operated MAD and BCN flights have Iberia service with starter, hot meal and proper dessert. On these flights, a different set of beverages is served (IB selection).

Destinations with sandwich:
ARN

Destinations with hot meal only (no starter) and something sweet:
AMS BER BGO BLL BLQ BRU BUD CPH DBV DUS FRA GOT HAM KRK MUC NAP NCE OSL PRG SPU TOS TRD VCE VIE VNO WAW ZAG

Destinations with starter, hot meal and something sweet:
AGP ALC CDG DUB EDI FCO GVA KEF LHR LIN LIS MAN MXP OPO TLV

SPML - Special meals, examples and links (incomplete list)

SFML - Seafood meal, eg Salmon lasagna, Smoked salmon. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VLML - Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal. Example 2
RVML - Raw Vegetarian meal. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VGML - Vegetarian / Vegan
FPML - Fruit platter meal
Print Wikipost

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
Ok... it is about what i expected. It is a one hour flight so there really is not time for much more than that i guess.
thanks for the answer.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE

Late afternoon flight from LHR. Salmon mousse with dark rye bread. Filet de porc with green beans and cubed potato puree. Finnish blueberry pie as dessert. Everything was good and the pork excellent! TG no Keiju. I got the feeling that catering has improved.

The other option was some ravioli dish with spinach. I hate spinach.

PS. Note the wooden cocktail stick!
ffay005 and clubeurope like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX

I wouldn't necessarily say that the ca 40 min between ARN and HEL does not permit more extensive service. These are recent examples from my BA J flights LHR-AMS and AMS-LGW respectively. Flight time is about the equivalent if not shorter. On the positive side I do give it AY that it looks that they have stepped up their SH catering in general.
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by Guillou; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:11 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Guillou
I wouldn't necessarily say that the ca 40 min between ARN and HEL does not permit more extensive service. These are recent examples from my BA J flights LHR-AMS and AMS-LGW respectively. Flight time is about the equivalent if not shorter. On the positive side I do give it AY that it looks that they have stepped up their SH catering in general.
There's probably no incentive for AY to offer better service on the ARN route, because there is no or very little competition in J. I'm not familiar with SK's "Plus" offerings on the route, however, I think they are worse or equivalent to what AY offers today. On the AMS-LHR route there is at least KL competing for real J customers.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
There's probably no incentive for AY to offer better service on the ARN route, because there is no or very little competition in J. I'm not familiar with SK's "Plus" offerings on the route, however, I think they are worse or equivalent to what AY offers today. On the AMS-LHR route there is at least KL competing for real J customers.
That's of course more or less the case. I fly HEL-ARN route quite often for business and honestly could not care less about the service during my flight. SAS Plus in that route is basically a wrap and smoothie or similar offering. For the most part I'm not even bothered to have that. My point was mainly that more extensive service is totally doable.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... I'm not familiar with SK's "Plus" offerings on the route, however, I think they are worse or equivalent to what AY offers today. ...
Not knowing specifically what's on that route, but an educated guess is that SK plus offers a dull tunnbrödsrulle in a fancy box. I'd say AY J is just slightly above that.

...My point was mainly that more extensive service is totally doable.
It totally is.

On these elite heavy commuters routes I think it has been established that the important customers are in Y and thus no need to offer anything special in J.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Also, BA service is a bit different. They don’t offer anything but BOB in Y so they don’t need as many cabin crew members in the Y cabin. On AY, the purser quickly serves the J cabin and then moves onto pouring juice and coffee for the Y passengers.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:03 am

Also, BA service is a bit different. They don’t offer anything but BOB in Y so they don’t need as many cabin crew members in the Y cabin. On AY, the purser quickly serves the J cabin and then moves onto pouring juice and coffee for the Y passengers.
I might need to fly again to double check but I'm fairly sure it was the different crew members who served the Y cabin on BA. Also, it's been awhile since I have flown BA in Y but don't they really have anything in Y but BOB? A sincere question for the avoidance of doubt. P.S. Going off-topic so apologies for this.

Last edited by Guillou; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:05 am Reason: typos
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
Not knowing specifically what's on that route, but an educated guess is that SK plus offers a dull tunnbrödsrulle in a fancy box. I'd say AY J is just slightly above that.

It totally is.

On these elite heavy commuters routes I think it has been established that the important customers are in Y and thus no need to offer anything special in J.
+1.
AY "riistaleipä" = SK "polarrulle"
Probably AY has learned the cabin game about commuters on this route and very well know that J cabin on ARN route consists of op-ups & positioners and the cheapest elite runners are flocking the exitrows drooling for their drinks, and the moneymakers who don't know how much they paid for tickets are sitting in Ö-seats.
intuition likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:52 am

. Also, it's been awhile since I have flown BA in Y bit don't they really have anything in Y but BOB?
On-request they serve tap-water after the BYO service if there is time and if they remember. There is some trial going on to serve something for elite-members.

Time is always relative. AY used to serve a sandwich, chocolate, tea, coffee, juice, wine on their flights HEL-ARN in Y. I have said it before that there used to be BYO on HEL-TLL on Flybe flights.

On the shortest flights BA offers better meals than AY in business class. But on flights of similar length as HEL-OSL AY is much better. On longer flights like HEL-LHR BA is slightly better (some cheese and larger dessert and apetizer). Anyway, during the last year AY service has improved a lot.

On the longest European flights I like the Idea of a separate coffee and bun service. If the service has been slow, this extra service may come almost immediately after the coffee in the end of the dinner. On my last flight from Rome, this service was announced 10 minutes after the cabin lights had been dimmed after dinner.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Also, BA service is a bit different. They don’t offer anything but BOB in Y so they don’t need as many cabin crew members in the Y cabin.
au contraire, mon ami. BA's BoB's M&S concept is ghastly, surprisingly popular and very inefficient! The amount of pax ordering premade sandwiches is just amazing. The fact that BA underestimate these hungry peeps' needs on every flight I've been on, continues to amaze me. One trolley requires 2.5 cabin crew - one to operate the giant payment terminal, one for delivering sandwiches and half a CC to run back to the galley to get more products.
intuition likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

I have a HEL-FRA-HEL flight coming up in J and I'm actually quite curiously looking forward what AY has in stock mealvise. Both morning and evening flight so expecting to try both breakfast and dinner service. Also looked that my last AY SH flight (excluding some Finnish domestic and ATR operated HEL-LLA) so interested to see if anything has changed. On the other hand my experience with AY SH crews has generally always been very positive so that has also helped even when some of the meals have not been as top notch.

P.S. Did last week JFK-PHX in AA Domestic F and the "meal" was basically cream cheese and crackers on a plate. Made me miss AY's J food. On the positive side the drink service was working great and I was not the designated driver at PHX .
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Just came off FRAHEL on Monday evening, nothing to complain, 11 or 12 pax and 2 FA's working in J - hot towels and drinks came quite quickly, tray had a very nice piece of cured salmon and then a choice of main course, either pasta with meat sauce or chicken with mash and for desser a rather good berry pie. All the regular drinks - although there is no way to know what they have (but to ask) as still no menu cards.

Only negative thing was that G&T was served emptying the whole gin bottle into the tiny Ultima Thule glass, with ice there wasn't much space left for tonic. I thought they had lalready earned not to do this, so remember to tell them you'll mix it yourself!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
At least they do not have Rum, Underberg, Jägermeister nor Baileys. The have Amarula though.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by tsastor
At least they do not have Rum, Underberg, Jägermeister nor Baileys. The have Amarula though.
Baileys is sold in Y, not in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.