Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Current disadvantages on code share flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve_Hun
Beware of codeshares!

If you decide to book a codeshare, no matter how seamless the airlines’ marketing departments make it sound, the following will apply:

Points and miles accrual:
Sometimes, a codeshare might be a good alternative pointswise.

Please note that the calculator at AY.com doesn't work for codeshare flights. You can select "Finnair Codeshare" as carrier, but it does not recognize status bonuses or ticket types (Basic/Value etc) even though you will get status bonus when crediting to AY+, and to some codeshare destinations, AY ticket types are available.

If you’re on AY flight number, you will always earn AY+ points, regardless of carrier. In the 100 % category you earn 1 point / km. In J, you earn the usual 200 % regardless of carrier. You will also earn the usual status bonus.

In some cases (seemingly in cases where the destination is served by both AY and partner metal), you may earn points according to zones.

If you’re on AY flight number and your flight is OW-operated, you will earn points/miles in all OW programmes according to said programme’s AY earning table.

If you’re on OW flight number and AY metal, you will earn AY+ points or points/miles in all OW programmes according to said programme’s earning table of your ticketed airline.

However, if you’re on *A flight number and AY metal, you will earn zero points in any programme (CA, TP). QUESTION: Is this really true? If you’re on HEL-PEK and CA flight number, will you at least earn points in the CA programme? Or in the TP programme for HEL-LIS?

Seat assignments:
Hit and miss depending on the airlines involved, the agent you talk to and other random criteria. Often, it won’t work at all, but sometimes a good agent manages to assign a seat. (At OLCI, will you be given a random seat, or is there a choice? Are many seats blocked at T-36?)

Economy Comfort on longhauls:
Not available to codeshare pax. Not for free for Platinums, and not against a charge for anyone. (Are these seats blocked at OLCI?) Sometimes, Y+ seats are sold at check-in, the gate or on the plane before departure. These are most likely available to codeshare pax. Can anyone confirm?

Pre-order meals in J:
Not available at MMB. A good agent will be able to assign a meal if you call (maybe chat, too).

Special meals (Y or J):
Works normally, however, one might need to contact CS.

Pre-order inflight sales:
Works normally.

Upgrades:
Not available on codeshare. You will need AY metal and AY flight number. The only exception would be a paid upgrade at the airport. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1842907-big-upgrade-thread-all-you-need-know-about-ay-upgrades.html for details.

OLCI:
Used to be problematic but this is mostly solved. You can OLCI at AY.com for AY-operated flights regardless of the flight number. The AY system recognizes all sorts of booking references and you may enter eg. your AA record locator on the AY check-in page.

What about AY flight numbers on other carriers? Do all carriers allow OLCI and recognize the AY/Amadeus booking ref?

Lounge access:
If you’re on OW metal and OW flight number, no problems. You may enter based on OW status or J ticket.

If you’re on AY flight number but non-OW metal, or if you’re on non-OW flight number and AY metal, you may or may not have lounge access. A list would be great.
- French domestic flights operated by AF, with AY flight number, will gain lounge access at CDG (what about other French airports?)

Schedule changes:
When the operating carrier makes a schedule change or cancellation, the ticketing carrier should be the one that you deal with. But this is not always the case, and airlines seem to accuse one another, and sometimes no one takes responsibility if the alternative you are presented with is not satisfactory.

IRROPS:
No experience. For last minute IRROPS, the operating carrier shuld be responsible.
Print Wikipost

Current disadvantages on code share flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Another disadvantage, not sure if it is new.

Can't check in to final destination. Probably due to some codeshare parters only allowing checkin as a number of hours before each flight departure, not hours before trip departure. In the app I got a small warning during the check in procedure that I need to go to transfer desk or ba.com. (However after completed procedure it says "checked in" on all segments!)

Going to MMB it says "BA öppnar incheckningen en dag ennen lähtöä" so they are embracing the dual languages at least.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by intuition
Another disadvantage, not sure if it is new.

Can't check in to final destination. Probably due to some codeshare parters only allowing checkin as a number of hours before each flight departure, not hours before trip departure. In the app I got a small warning during the check in procedure that I need to go to transfer desk or ba.com. (However after completed procedure it says "checked in" on all segments!)

Going to MMB it says "BA öppnar incheckningen en dag ennen lähtöä" so they are embracing the dual languages at least.
OW experience is not really nice, especially when multiple airlines/codeshares are involved.

HEL-LHR (AY operated, AY code), LHR-MIA (BA operated, AY code)

At check-in I was only able to select seats for AY operated flight, no change possible for BA leg. Luckily I had selected my seats for BA flight when booking. I had both the AY PNR and BA PNR so that was not the case. Ticket was issued by AY (105) and J class.

MIA-LHR (BA operated, IB code), LHR-HEL (AY operated, AY code)

At check-in I was only able to select seats for BA operated flight (early selection on BA.com was not possible due to IB codeshare I guess), online check-in not possible for AY flight. At the airport agent checked my bag all the way to HEL but couldn't print BP for AY leg as "flight was closed" for him. He instructed to contact AY staff at LHR T3. When arriving to LHR T3 security I was not allowed to pass as I didn't have BP. Supervisor let me through when I explained the situation once again and showed him luggage tags for onward AY flight. At T3 transit, AY desk was closed and due to open in 1,5 hours, no help from BA desk either.

I wanted to use lounge as I had 4,5 hours layover so checked from mobile and I could see BP for LHR-HEL flight with Seq 1. So somehow I was already checked-in... could access the lounge with this BP and board the plane.

For most of us here in FT this is not a problem (however not accepted by all means!) but for example my parents with limited English skills / travelling once per every 5 years by plane are travelling to US next year and thinking whether to pay almost double price for direct AY flight to MIA or go via LHR for example.

Last edited by Furry; Dec 19, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I've had similar issues doing BA->AY transit at LHR. No boarding card to show at T3 security, which is inconveniently located before the transfer desk, and no staff at Finnair transfer desk anyway.

Apparently, you are supposed to go straight to the gate. Figures.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
So I was hungry for points, and booked a HEL - LAX round trip with all flights AY in early 2016.

I went economy class this since I have unused Plat upgrades, and figured I can take the 6 hour JFK - LAX flight with no problems. I did get AY to select a seat for me in Main Cabin Extra (11B), but it's unconfirmed.

I guess this is due codeshare flight, and I should've picked the AY - AA combo?

My last trip for the same route was in J...is it due the Business/Economy booking class that I can't pick a seat this time?

Cheap flights, but sh*tty booking class...not that many points coming my way, but then again I don't need any tier points for now, but award points are always nice to get.

Main Cabin Extra should be complimentary for OWS & OWE, so can I get the seat confirmed by giving AA a call?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:15 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by The_Director
Main Cabin Extra should be complimentary for OWS & OWE, so can I get the seat confirmed by giving AA a call?
AA Twitter team is as useful as AY Chat, I have found it super useful compared to calling them. They answer normally within one hour, I have been able to get help with:

- Getting AY PNR for AA bookings
- Choosing meal for Business/First flights which can't be selected online
- Request missing miles for AY flights, latest experience today when AY8 miles posted in 1 hour after contacting them

Give it a try?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by HJP
AA Twitter team is as useful as AY Chat, I have found it super useful compared to calling them. They answer normally within one hour, I have been able to get help with:

- Getting AY PNR for AA bookings
- Choosing meal for Business/First flights which can't be selected online
- Request missing miles for AY flights, latest experience today when AY8 miles posted in 1 hour after contacting them

Give it a try?
I will! Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by The_Director
So I was hungry for points, and booked a HEL - LAX round trip with all flights AY in early 2016. I went economy class (...) I should've picked the AY - AA combo?
Well, since this is in economy, you should have booked everything with AA codes to earn 100% mileage. You could then have used the AY PNR to change seats on AY.

With AY codes, even as Plat, you only get 62,5% mileage for codeshare flights.

Of course, this is likely to change for the worse really soon. At that point, AY codes all the way will become the best option due to tier bonus and zone-based earnings.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Well, since this is in economy, you should have booked everything with AA codes to earn 100% mileage. You could then have used the AY PNR to change seats on AY.

Of course, this is likely to change for the worse really soon. At that point, AY codes all the way will become the best option due to tier bonus and zone-based earnings.
But surely the HEL - JFK would have needed to be AY for an voucher upgrade to be possible?

But, yeah I'll be more careful next time

Now when I think about...I shouldn't worry too much about getting a confirmed seat, since I most likely will not be on the LAX plane, 90 minute transfer (again!)...but I don't mind hanging around at JFK for an extra hour or two...no big hopes for an upgrade though.

Last edited by The_Director; Dec 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:04 am

Oh yeah. You can only use the upgrade voucher if you purchase AY code on AY metal.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

I know I might be naïve on this one, but hoping that despite the changes w/ AAdvantage, AY+ might keep the current earnings. If you just e.g. look at the earnings on AY / CX, where AY gives points for a hellowa lot more booking classes on CX than the other way round.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I know I might be naïve on this one, but hoping that despite the changes w/ AAdvantage, AY+ might keep the current earnings. If you just e.g. look at the earnings on AY / CX, where AY gives points for a hellowa lot more booking classes on CX than the other way round.
I do not know how the earning ratii are agreed between the marketing airline and the loyalty brand. But I doubt that AY+ will retain either AA or CX earnings as they currently are for very long, given the situation with AAdvantage and Marco Polo.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh yeah. You can only use the upgrade voucher if you purchase AY code on AY metal.
Ou yeah. It would be nicer to book AA economy for tons of points and nice "feeder" from hel to mia in J with ay upgrade voucher, then MCE seat to south america, instead of finnair Y to mad, then iberia Y longhaul.

I tried all the way bit did not work
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The Finnair app can't properly keep track of check-in time when a codeshare ticket is issued. It will claim "Check in have opened" at 36h before takeoff, regardless of checkin is open or not.
If first segment is a codeshare then you won't be able to check in at all, and if last segment is codeshare, you will only be checked in for the AY operated segments.

Another issue with codeshares is that outstations can't produce boarding pass for the third segment when first segment is a codeshare and second segment is AY longhaul to HEL. (Nothing new, has been like this as long as I can remember, and today they were at least able to interline the luggage between AY longhaul andf AY shorthaul, so I guess I should be happy)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat
I'm a little confused regarding point accrual and could not find immediate answer to the following: I bought a ticket from Finnair which included flights from HEL to LHR and TXL to HEL. Both flights with AY codes but LHR flight operated by BA and TXL fligth operated by Air Berlin. (and this TXL flight was normal Air Berlin flight, not one of those AY flights that are operated by AB due to capacity shortage). Anyway, my confusion arises from the fact that points posted from these flights are different: TXL flight posted normal AY SH fixed points and LHR flight via distance (km) approach. I also went thru my history and all similar code share TXL flights have posted normal AY fixed amounts. I do not have other LHR code share flights in my recent history so can't compare. Does anyone have an explanation to this?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:57 pm

I would guess that this is a case of hysterical raisin. Specifically, the codeshare agreement between AB and AY for flights between German-speaking airports and Helsinki predates the entry of AB into Oneworld. So the earnings to AY+ with AY codes might be counted as for normal intra-European Finnair flights.

Or it is just a bug. Anyway, this should be to your benefit: the flight would count as 2000km, instead of the much shorter real distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.